Heart Surgery for SVT on May 5th

I will be having surgery on May 5th to correct my tachycardia. I have what’s called SVT and POTS (Posterial Orthostatic Tachycardic Syndrome). My heart rate runs at 125 right now, but does go faster at times. It has limited me from doing things that I used to do like hiking and running.

I’ve had this surgery one other time but they didn’t go as aggressive and only lowered it from 125 to 100 then. That was back in December. We started noticing that it was raising back in February. I went in to the cardiologist in April and he said that it was time to redo it but it was also time that they went more aggressive with it. My boyfriend is glad that I have the best surgeon for the job. My doctor was technically the best but he can no longer perform surgeries so he trained the surgeon that I am having do it. Its the same one that did it the first time. I hope that I don’t have to go through this again. The healing process is a pain in the ■■■.

I had SVT a few years back. I had it for years before it was diagnosed. It wasn’t until I took myself to the ER with a heart rate well over 250 that the doctors actually believed me. The surgery “fixed” it, but it still feels like it’s going to kick in any time again. Do you have this too? Does it feel like it’s going to start then something “pops” in your chest and it doesn’t?

Good luck to you, Cherise for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery.

I’ve had SVT for about 20+ years now. I only have a couple of episodes each year and its off the ER for a shot of Adenosine to revert it back into normal rhythm. My heart usually races at about 250+/minute during these episodes and can be quite scary.

My cardiologist has suggested the ablation but told me that since the episodes are getting less frequent he wants to wait.

I hope the surgery goes well.

Paul