Hello from South Dakota

I thought I would introduce myself. I am 57, and have been T2 for about 14 years. I have just about all the symptoms common to metabolic syndrome, but things are very much in control right now.

I spent 12 years on oral meds, with A1c’s in the 7’s for the most part, with ocasional 6’s or 8’s. Eventually I developed beta cell exhaustion, meaning my pancreas was no longer able to supply enough insulin, even with the assistance of oral medications. At my request, I tried Precose and Starlux, in addition to the Metformin, Actos, and Glyptizide I had been taking. After about 5 months of this will little improvement (A1c dropped from 8.7 to 8.5), I agreed with my doctor that it was time for insulin. I really hate needles!

The next step was to try basal insulin alone, Lantus. More than half of the time this will work out for T2’s, at least for a while. I started at about 25 units a day, and gradually increased the dosage to 100 units a day. Even the 100 units was not enough.

I have what is called dawn phenomenon. This is high readings in the morning, before breakfast. Basically, my liver is releasing glucose to “wake me up” at about 4 am, but it releases way too much. This is quite common.

Lantus “burns” when you inject it, and the higher the dosage, the more it burns, in my experience. There was no way I was going to increase the dosage further. A1c was 7.8, so down a bit.

Next came Novolog 70/30 mix. It is a very strict plan where to have success you have to eat the same amount of carbohydrates each day and mealtimes must remain constant. Results were better, a 6.9 A1c

I talked to my Doctor about the possibility of getting an insulin pump, I was already testing about 6 times a day, he felt I would be a very good candidate. I investigated all the pump options, and decided that the Cozmo was the one that I wanted. On the insurance forms, where the doctor was supposed to check Type 1 or Type 2, he wrote “insulin dependent”, which I thought was kinda smart. Some insurance companies are not as willing to do a pump for a Type 2.

My glucose readings in the morning had been 180 to 220. I had hoped to be able to knock those down by 40 points or so. The first morning I had used the pump overnight, I woke up to 115! THIS I COULD GET USED TO!

My average glucose in 2006 was 195. The 70/30 novolog got that down to 138. The first week of pumping my average was 110. By the second week, my average was under 100.

I noticed a huge change in the way I felt, but not in the way most people describe. I never felt bad from highs, even at 350 (except for wincing when I saw the meter). Once my glucose average got under 100, I found that I was no longer hungry 2 hours after a meal!

I was eating 150 grams of carbohydrate a day, I thought maybe I could loose a little weight if I reduced that, and since I am no longer hungry all the time, I could go without snacks.

It has been all downhill from there, I say that in a good way. My A1c was 5.7, then 5.5, then 5.3.

I have had triglyceride problems all my adult life, 366 when it was first discovered. Now 54 (normal is 30 to 150).
LDL 76, normal 0 - 135. I have lost 37 lbs, I want to loose another 32.
I’m still working on my blood pressure, it usually runs 130/75.
I also have Sleep Apnea.

For me, pumping has not been all good. Just ALMOST all good :slight_smile:

Monday I go for another A1c test, my average glucose has gone down again, to 89 for the last month. I have high hopes for still another good A1c!

If anyone has any pumping questions, I’d be glad to take a shot at them (the questions, not the people :slight_smile: )

Lloyd,
this is the best story i’ve read in a while! CONGRATULATIONS! and i can’t wait to hear the latest A1c!

Thanks, Landileigh

New A1c came out 4.9