Help for a Friend

I guess since he wont listen when he does pass out from DKA, he will be on a ventilator and an Insulin drip. After he gets out of the rough ( if he does) he can decide how many times he wants to do that. Seen that several times in the hospital.
I agree low b/s feel bad. Mine goes to 84 and i cant stand the feeling. I need to get my body readjusted to lows.

I too was in denial for several years. Even after my leg was amputated. It took for my whole body to shut down completely for me to come out of it. Until he is ready to do it himself, there is no way you can force him to take his meds. I, too, was used to the highs and didn't like the lows. Just help him be prepared for the lows when they happen and just give him time. I am a Type 2 diabetic so I know how it works. JudyAnn

threaten him..what else can you do...terrible way to live as a wife..watching your husband kill himself..to be honest and blunt very selfish person..really...and not thinking how it would affect the other people around you that love you..tell her to pray for her husband...I will do the same..to lighten his heart and to see what he needs to see..

It is extremely difficult when a spouse has a serious medical condition of any kind and won't respond. I am a type 2 - my hubby warned me at dinner last night that I needed to lay low on butter- while in the throw of my denial, it does no good for him to remind me. The best time for him to talk to me about diabetes is when I " Ain't Misbehav'in."

Her concerns about his high numbers and weight loss are really heartbreaking for her and are not to be taken lightly. She needs love and support - her husband being in denial is not about to change because of her promptings. I think she can best help him by helping herself - it may sound crazy but a 12 step program can help her deal with living with a person with a disease of denial. Addictions come in many forms. Intervention is another option.

My hubby had a heart attack 10 years ago and refused my pleas to call 911 - and he refused to go to the hospital. He was NOT passed out or incapacitated at all so had full conscious judgement. Finally, 30 hours after his cardiac event, he asked me to take him to the hospital. The blood work came back at 7 p.m. on Saturday. He indeed had had a full blown heart attack at noon on Friday. Then in the hospital in front of my very eyes he hand another incident that had it happened when he was alone with me, I WOULD HAVE CALLED 911.

The nurses were really ticked off at me - I mean REALLY - but the Cardiologist was patting me on the back for letting my 50 year old husband make his own decision. As I said,my husband was not laid out and was awake and refused a ride to the ER. All that being said, I still struggle with my decision. What if he had died? He had a blockage that needed to be tended to - it was and today, he is in full charge of his condition. I hope your friend finds a supportive system to help her. All my best, DeniseC