Help for a Mom of a tween T1 diabetic!

I don’t recall ever learning about that stuff from doctors but I think I picked it up on the severity of complications from articles in Diabetes Forecast that were in the magazine piles. I was 16 @ DX so I was sort of in the driver’s seat but that was exchanges and sliding scales and I didn’t run into any issues for a while. For whatever a subscription runs, if you leave them lying around the house, he might pick up on the complication thing by osmosis that way?

I’m not sure what is to be gained or lost by finding out or not finding out. I think too that a lot of that, even statistic going into the 1980s, were perhaps skewed by the ancien regime of urine testing and very minimal understanding of BG control and diet and other issues that are pretty commonly in the dialogue now? I am not sure if complication rates are changing or not. It would be interesting to read that. Tim put some charts in this thread that were pretty clear for me to understand but I am not sure I’d want to freak out a 10 year old too much?

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/enough-ignorance-to-go-around