HELP HELP HELP! PUMPS (good or bad)

Hello Sheila:

The sole reason the pumps “work” is because of the short acting insulins we put in them,

If we used Lantus or NPH in them, we’d have identical problems, plus some. Injections 3-4 hours using the short acting insulins are the “poor man’s pump”, and the reason they work viably . While I admit to envy w/ re: to the micro-dosing, tenths of units, etc, perhaps someday syringes will have that ability…

But respectfully I find nothing simplier, removtely easier with pumping save possibly a few pretty minor dosing issues. I can offer a decent list of reasons “CON” that I contend are decent issues to consider in this subject

Intense micro management could provide, COULD mind you provide reduced complications but there is no proof PUMPS are the cause for that. Obsessive hyper vigilence, obscene micro control measures, habits are likely causal too. Do not forget the other lesson which the DCCT stated clearly and most of us have been bashed over the head with for too long. The more intense our conrol, the more likely we will have dangerous lows which will require “outside assistance”

This too must be considered…

Stuart (Wearing his flame retardant pajamas awaiting potential kindling to be thrown at his feet)

Thats awesome!!!

“I find nothing simplier, removtely easier with pumping save possibly a few pretty minor dosing issues.”

I generally agree although some people really do have variable basal rates throughout the day and for some people the ability to use a pump to level out dawn phenomenon results in much better control vs shots. One thing I like about shots is I can see the insulin go in and I have no doubts regarding occlusions.
Beyond that, each person has to determine which method is more convenient for them. One infusion site every 3 days vs multiple shots is nice. Pumping becomes head and shoulders better than shots if you add CGM because then you can take correction boluses at will anytime anywhere with ease and eventually integrated CGM pumps will automatically suspend insulin delivery if you drop too low (see Minimed’s new “Veo” pump).

Hello Don:

Sorry my diabetic brother, don’t want to be Frankenstein thanks… one “computer” on-board (sic pump) is one too many. Combine them (pump & CGM) and make them self sustaining, and internal without the need for additional batteries, insulin, etc. and I’ll shut up forever and take said tool with total obedience.

Oh wait, they have to be totally accurate too. Don’t want my interstitial fluid readings to be incorrect and end up killing me. Or the infusion set to still @(#)@#@#@ up and ruin all my efforts to have a normal day… BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, I just put you in an hour and a half ago, there’s no freakin problems, no tube issues, and still being beeped to death.

Well, pumps are alot of work and when they go bad, they go bad fast - that being said - my son
has worn a pump for 3 years now and I am so grateful for the freedom it gives him. One thing I
really like about it is gives you the exact amount of insulin - like .3 units or 2.7 units. You
can not duplicate that with shots and when everything is calibrated properly, it keeps your numbers
within range. We have had to switch to Skin Tac to keep the set in place, but it is just a matter
of trial and error. My son is very active, soccer , basketball, wakeboarding, swimming, etc…and we
have been able to decrease basal rates when needed. Alot of work initially, but a great tool and allows for
great flexibility - I do not think you will regret it if you give it a chance!!! It has pulled out on occasion, but we
just reinsert a new set - no biggie!!! I highly recommend it. Nancy

Well I am new at it but I love it so far. My sugars are finally getting a little better but still need a lot of fine tuning. I am really insulin resistant. But I love the no MDI and just bolus and eat. I have been on the pump for 2 months now and so far no problems dressing with it either. Except my bathing suit, but if people see it oh well.

Hello Cathy:

Are all of them waterproof these days or still only selective pump companies go for the waterproof technology?

Stuart

You may not like my answer but that does not constitute “ranting”… To quote a favorite movie line ~…I don’t think that (sic. word) means what you think it means… " (Princess Bride). Regardless, I will strive for better brevity…

The lady asked for experience(s) I offer a different-unpopular view, I conceed the above reponse was not well enough expressed. Simply, . if/when they combine the CGM’s and the pumps (sic. for implantation) I don’t want some interstecial/capillary readings being what the machinery uses to determine the automated bolus output. Veinous readings pretty please… the most accurate possible if/when it becomes totally automated, no?

Stuart