HELP! Pump is making a strange noise and scaring the crap out of me!

Hey guys-

I have an animas Ping pump which has been a godsend since I got it in February.
However, in the past 24 hours it has made this odd sound three times. It sounds rather like the piston is trying to advance (like I was going to give myself a bolus) but it is rather erratic sounding. It lasts about 2-3 seconds- which is way longer than how long I hear it when it gives me a basal squirt.

When I hear this noise, I have each time checked but the pump never registers that a new bolus or even a higher basal has been given. My numbers are good, and after speaking to the technical support people, they can find no problem with the pump- but the noise is scaring me!

Has anyone else had this problem with their pump? Did it resolve itself or did it lead to badness?

Thanks-

Lane

hmmm… I admit that I considered this, but I have no evidence that my pump is malfunctioning other than the random noises. It is possible that there is dirt or something in the piston? You and your wife have been pumping for ages, right ( or am I confusing you with someone else?) has this ever happened?

Thanks, really-
Lane

I agree. You need to get it replaced. You don’t want to find out that it is something bad. Send it back after they replace it so THEY can see what is wrong with it.

I agree with Dave. In over nine years, I’ve never had noises I couldn’t explain, and I’ve had companies replace pumps immediately for things like “dead backlight” or “cracked screen.” If there’s any kind of possible malfunctioning, I’d demand that it get the attention it deserves.

Okay. I will call this morning and demand a new pump. Thanks, guys.

Definitely demand a new pump. I do at any sign of a problem. No reason to take risks with a machine that is our life support!