Help remembering to Bolus?

i don't know why its hard for me to remember but every so often i do good but then a couple days later i start forgetting and its not like a necessarily don't want to remember because i actually can't sleep at night sometimes because i feel guilty for forgetting and beating myself up about it and i'm honestly some days really scared of whats going to happen to me if i don't start remembering more. Does anyone have like any tricks to remembering to so the simple testing and giving yourself insulin. I unfortunately don't feel the high blood sugar until it gets really up there so by the time i realize i forgot its to late and i just gotta do correction and i'll be in the 400s. I know the thing my family and doctors try telling me is "oh set an alarm on you phone or something to remind you!" but when i do that it always goes of at times when i can't do anything about it and i'll turn the alarm off and try dealing with it as soon as i can but i almost always forget to get back to it.

I normally bolus before I eat. If I sit down to a meal and I have not bolused, I say " I need to bolus!"

When it is a habit, you don't think about it, you just do it.

Often I forget weather or not I bolused, because I don't think about it, I am more afraid that I will bolus twice than not at all. I wear a pump so it tracks everything. I can just look to see.

When I was on Injections, I would use a log book.

I also wear a CGM to remind me. It tells me when ever my sugars are high and reminds me like very min while it is high or low. It actually irritates most times.

My control has gotten 1000% better since I started wearing a CGM.

It's become so automatic that I just do it. Not any help to you since you have a pump, but I leave a syringe on the kitchen counter at night because I've forgotten a couple of times to take my evening basal shot. One part of my mind must realize when I haven't because I'll wake up in a panic. Of course, by then it's often too late.

Are there certain times that are more difficult than others? Best thing is to force yourself into a routine of testing & bolus, so it becomes second nature. Testing before & after eating, when waking, before bed will alert you to bolusing or correcting.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe there's a reason behind forgetting. Perhaps it's a rebellion against having to do the things we have to do constantly? We all forget now & then, but forgetting often could mean there's something else going on.

Remembering to take your insulin is a challenge all of us face. And geez, it isn't just remembering to take the insulin, it is making sure your remember "if" you have taken it. Taking a double bolus is worse than forgetting your bolus.

I use a set of "rituals." A set of patterned behavior that are all part of an overlapping set of actions that help me remember my insulin and be able to always recall whether I have already taken it. I'm sorry, you don't want to hear this, but a core of that is my "log." It can be anywhere, even on your phone, but it isn't just something to show your doctor.

And you can add other things. How about a rubber band on your pen that has a particular place for each injection, cap for morning basal and base for evening basal. And you can add in a set of actions that help. I wash my hands before the meal, always. Then I test. The washing helps remind me that I need clean fingers to test. Then when I test, I always take my insulin, right then. The sequence of actions together all help me remember.

And as a final action, when you sit down to eat, perhaps you can say a silent prayer, giving thanks for life giving insulin and for help remembering. And should you get to the prayer bit and go oops, you can give additional thanks for all the reminders.

I always want to know what my BG is. The main time I get forgetful is at dinnertime as I do probably 85% of the cooking so I'm always running around but I'll generally pull over and bolus. I'd like to pre-bolus a bit more than I do as I simply am busy but well, that's something for me to work on. My pump is set up to remind me to test every two hours and, a lot of times, I want to "double check" it at around the 1.5 hour mark if I have something going on. I am out to beat up diabetes as much as possible and testing and keeping my foot on it's throat with my pump is what I've found I need to do.

Does your pump have a reminder or alarm? I was going to suggest setting an alarm on your cell phone but you said even that doesn't work for you. How about writing a note on your hand until it becomes a habit? Go old skool! You've just got to get into the habit - are you newly diagnosed? For me, it's 2nd nature from being on shots for so long, I know I have to take my insulin & check BS before I eat, it's just habit.

Maybe until you get into a habit of always doing it, start keeping a log book. Just some suggestions. Hope you can figure something out, running in the 400s is not good, that is where I was when I was dx'd and I felt horrible and was risking a coma from what dr's said.

I agree with everyone that in time it just becomes a habit and the only time I forget to bolus is when I am out to dinner with people and am running my mouth! But until you get into that habit you will need reminders. You said alarms don't work for you, so how about something on your kitchen table, wherever you eat your meals. A note in bright colors that you have to move to set your plate down. If you eat on the run or all different places, you can put it on your car dashboard, say, right in eye range, or with a sticky on your cell phone since if you're like most people you look at that all the time. Or your locker at school, wherever it is you go before meal times. But it's best if you can somehow relate it to eating like the kitchen table.

I also agree that it sounds like there might be something stopping you from taking care of yourself, whether it is actual Depression, or just hating being a teen with diabetes. I encourage you to talk about that with whoever is important with your life, or join a group for Type 1 teens if you can find one, the peer support really helps (contact the JDRF branch in your area for activities or groups)

I had a brilliant idea if anyone wants to invent it,

A device that shows when the last injection was taken on insulin pens.

Those tiny clocks and timers are cheap, I bet one could be incorporated into an insulin pen.

If it could show the time and the amount of insulin delivered, even better.

I do like Timothy. when I sat down to eat I boulus then. Not to say that sometimes I forget (so I bolus right after I eat) That's about the only thing I can tell u to do. My saying is if it goes in ur mouth then u have to bolus. Yes it get irrating at times but u still have to do it. My hubbt totally makes me mad when he can put ANYTHING in his mouth and not have to think about the bouling part (he's not a diabetic and tends to snack ALOT) but I'lll get over it ................one day. UD think after having this for 38 years I'd know what to do but sometimes............well I'm human and so are u! Don't put too much pressure on urself and u will go far!

Gosh Darn. Somebody already beat you to it.

Maybe it would help. But my impression is that you have to remember to look at it. I don't know if it will give you alarms.

There is such a thing, I wish I could remember the name of it. There was a discussion about it a couple of months ago. Help anyone?

Doris, I get really PO'd once in a while too when I see my kids stuffing things into their mouths without a thought, or we sit down to dinner and they just eat! Guess I'm human too :)

I have alarms throughout the day built into my computer. The software comes up and asks: Did you give Lantus at 7 am? Did you bolus at breakfast? All of those take care of me when I'm home.
I prepare syringes once a day for both basals and boluses: basal into clear snack baggie and boluses into Frio.
I keep my black once-a-day-prepared Frio with Humalog syringes inside it on the top left shelf of the frig, where I can't get to the food I want without pulling out the Frio.
When I let back in the dog in the morning, I go to the frig. where my pre-prepared Lantus dose is waiting in a clear snack bag and the Frio is ready for breakfast.
So I have built routines and habits around the process.

All I can say that I know exactly what you are talking about. As a T1 of 26 years I had this problem many many times. I kept asking my doctors if there was a smart solution to help us multi day injectors remember when we took our insulin. There never was.

I therefore assembled a team to solve this and our output was Timesulin, the replacement cap for insulin pens that we invented. The entire concept with Timesulin is that it should be so easy to use that it doesn't require an instruction manual, doesn't require you to change your routine and helps us concentrate on things other than our diabetes.

It certainly won't solve all the challenges we have to deal with, but hopefully it will help ease this worry about missed and double injections. We are selling all over Europe and hard at work to get it over to the US as quick as we can. Spread the word to help it go quicker.

I will be at the ADA conference in June and would be happy to meet with anybody that is interested and show the product. @johnsjolund on twitter.

Thanks for the interesting conversation and hope this can help some of you.

2823-TimesulinBrochure.pdf (306 KB)