Help with food choices!

Thank goodness!

Seriously, if your BG stays high, don’t hesitate to go to the ER. DKA, or the beginning of DKA, is nothing to ignore. They may give you an IV for hydration & electrolytes & insulin to bring BG down. There’s no reason to wait feeling as you do.

Bring your logs with you to your appt.

I have been drinking a ton of water and will try some of the foods you all have suggested! thanks!

Please let us know how you fare. I think we’re all concerned for you. I hope things go well. Let us know in the meanwhile if you need anything. We’ll all do our best I’m sure.

Thanks so much, everyone has been so helpful. Why would I get shaky if my bg was high ? I thought that only happened if it was too low!

It can happen for highs and lows. Some symptoms are interchangeable. When I have high BS in the morning, I get out of bed feeling shaky and cold. I always check before I treat just in case. After a while it stopped for me, and now I just drink and pee like crazy when I’m high. I also get really mean. When I’m b**chy, my husband knows to push for a BS reading.

I’ve felt very shaky when high. My hands would shake horribly. Different reactions at different times. It’s variable & why we test a lot.

I have not felt at all panicky about this possible diabetes thing until today. I guess I have been in denial. But since feeling like this today, I guess I am starting to come to the realization that this could be for real!

Momto3… I think there are a lot of diabetics (like me) who has experienced and passed through the stage of denial… asking yourself “Why me?” Get yourself some medical help… When proper diagnosis and management has been suggested…we are all here to give help and support. Don’t be scared…you’re not alone.

The endo office called today to remind me of my app. I asked if I should be fasting for the app and they said no. They said it would be a “normal” app, Not sure what that means. I hope they plan on doiong something!!! Does anyone know what the first app usually consisits of?

Im not really sure what a “normal” doctor’s appointment is…kinda not sure too if there is something that is called “abnormal” LOL Maybe, since it is the first time you are seeing him…it will be like an exploratory stage. (I didn’t have a first doctor’s appointment since I was brought DKA at the ER!) Bring with you your blood glucose meter results. And try to write down all your questions as well as your experiences so as you will not forget any. Perhaps he then will give you the request to all laboratory examinations needed.

Hi Momto3

What you are describing is exactly how I felt before being diagnosed. I was eating at least 5 full meals a day, snacking non-stop, still feeling hungry and dropping alarming amounts of weight. Luckily my Dr. recognized the symptoms and diagnosed me correctly (type 1). Hang in there until Monday. You are going to feel so much better once you are on a treatment plan. It will be like night and day.

Hi there!

Good luck at the doctor! And make sure you ask tons of questions and get to look at your lab results - they are YOUR results and you have a right to know them! Defiantely fight out what your A1C and your C-peptide is - those are important. You want blood work (though sounds like your other doctor did some? hopefully they are sent to the endo!) to test for your A1C and C-peptides at least - other stuff may come later.

I am skinny too -5’4" and I weighed 130 when I was diagnosed a little over a month ago - I was so panicked and didn’t know what to eat that I lost 10 lbs just being anxious nervous and hardly eating anything (it has normaled out now staying at 115)- I could hardly sleep. It is difficult to get the the hang of the diet in the beginning. Eating small portions etc - how could you not lose weight! Weirdly enough I wasn’t very hungry - I was afraid to eat anything! But I can’t eat when I am nervous anyhow.

But unlike you I wasn’t losing weight before I found out. I actually had packed on a few because I was eating too many carbs (breads etc) and sitting around like a couch potatoe. But my c-peptide was normal which makes me a Type 2 even though I am not overweight. Type 2 runs in my family - even though many of my cousins are getting it now (we all around the same age - 40) - they are all on the overweight side but their diets are vastly different compared to mine (I have been a health food veg for 20 years and more active while they are all junk food sedentary meat eaters) so that is why I have always been on the skinny side - If I ate like they did I could probably be slightly overweight. I was always more diet conscious than they (being overweight doesn’t run in my family really).

But point is that you have to know those numbers - the A1C and the C-peptide - they are important in your diagnosis. Other types of tests may be important as you go on. Even though my C-peptide was fine, my A1C was 9.2 and my fasting blood was 205. I felt kind of sick until I started the Metformin and started getting everything undercontrol. Once you get some sort of control and treatment, you will feel better - it is definatley a learning process and it will take a while. I was just where you are now about a month ago. I thought I would never feel any better - I felt like I had bi-polar or something - I would cry and freak out and I had no strength or energy (half it was probably panic attacks from being diagnosed and having no guidance on this thing!) I was so scared! - I feel so much better today.

But another point too is that there ARE skinny Type 2’s - dont let anyone tell you there aren’t! I just went to a free diabetes expo a few weeks ago and I spoke with many experts who said the genetic component of diabetes is now becoming more prevelant than the weight issue in many Type 2’s. One of the issues covered was that is now a myth that Type 2 are always overweight. This is not necessarily true anymore except now we have little kids who are grossly overweight who are Type 2 which normally is an adult thing because of bad diet and lifestyle but adults can have a genetic link to Type 2 also and not be overweight - but there are many, even kids now, that are overweight and being diagnosed as Type 2. Even several doctor/nurse friends of mine said the genetics are important - things like stress, hormones also play a role. So it is very individual. In fact, I thought there would be a ton of super overweight people at the expo - in fact, there weren’t. Most people had some fat in their bellies but no one was extremely fat - and I wasn’t the skinniest person there either!

When I was first diagnosed, I went on this other diabetes forum and I described my situation. They all said I was Type 1 JUST because I was skinny - I was all freaked out because the idea of taking insulin scared me etc (plus I have no insurance so how can I pay for it?) - well, I got freaked out for nothing because they were wrong! But still Type 1 isn’t a worse type of diabetes (although to seem though to me at the time but I was scared) but just a different treatment - but wait to find out your results to find out what is up. Panic and stress cause high BG (this I know too well!) and make you feel like crap - do your best with your diet for now and yes heavy fat foods like nuts (don’t eat too many though) and avocadoes and cheese will help you fill up and keep the hunger away - actually fiber will too. It took a bit for my body to adjust the new diet - you may not feel full all the time right away - give it time and just do little snacks through out the day if you must.

Keep us posted.I am interested in hearing your results. And DEMAND to have your test results - in fact, try to get a copy of them if you can. It’s your body after all. I question my doctor to death about my A1c and such. He even showed me a chart of where I was on the good to bad scale. I am sure he thought me a pain in a the ■■■ - but I don’t care. But keep asking those questions - because the doctors are so busy they just want to get you out of that office so they will not take the time to tell you everything. So ask, ask, ask!