Help!

Hello,
I am a 68 year old woman, who was diagnosed as diabetic type 2 about 3 years ago. They said my A1C was 7.5 , which really scared me, but the Dr. said if I would lose some weight
( I weighed 195 ) that is would probably go away, so I decided to try the diet control method, which did not control my blood sugar, and last year I went to an endocrinologist, who first put me on Metformin, and I couldn’t bare the side effects, so she put me on several different types of insulin that were extended release. I was allergic to the insulin. I was so traumatized that I stopped going to her and vowed to starve to get the sugar under control…and I’m sure you know how that has played out. My waking blood sugar has been between 200 - 300 every morning. I have been scared that my A1C is probably up to an 8 by now.
At my diabetic eye check up, I was diagnosed with advanced cataracts and they scheduled me for surgery, but before they will put me under anesthesia, they wanted a blood test , which has revealed that my A1C is 11. OMG !! My Dr. has referred me to a nutritionist and wants me to return to my Endo Doc. I don’t know what to do. I can’t take the meds and I’m scared to death. Is there any hope for me to control this monster without insulin or metphormin?? Any suggestions will be so appreciated.

Hello BCRedwine,
I am sorry you are going through these problems.
Firstly Metformin does not work to lower your blood sugar, it works on your liver to make it more efficient.
Secondly, diet. To both lose weight and lower your blood sugar the keto and paleo diets work very well. If you lower your carbohydrate consumption you will find you reach your goals. Test two hours after meals to see if your blood glucose has returned to what it was before your meal.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Which insulins were you put on? Can you tell us a little more about what you are eating and what kind of exercise you are getting? There are ways to overcome allergies to insulin so if that ends up being your only option you will be able to resolve it.

Welcome @BCRedwine! I’m sorry you’re going through all of this!

Please, don’t be afraid of insulin. It is what we all need to survive and if your body isn’t making enough or isn’t able to use what you make efficiently enough, you do need to use it.

Metformin comes in different types; one is an extended release. It’s my understanding that it lessens the gastro side effects of the medicine.

Diet is by-far a top tool to help control blood sugar. When you begin a low to no carb diet, your body begins to accept it and the cravings for carbs lessen and often go away.

Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution is a wonderful book which can help you to understand a lot of what you are experiencing and ways to help. He has a website at: http://www.diabetes-book.com/

You can do this!

Honestly i see a long list of what you can’t do.
I would focus on what you can do. Diet and exercise is number 1

2 Likes

I am no doctor. It is true that diabetes may be able to be reversed early on with diet and exercise. I’m not really sure about this, as it may tend to come back. I really don’t know. I may have also heard someone once who may have not been able to take human insulin, and he had to take pork insulin. I haven’t seen pork insulin in some time. I used it once maybe decades ago. So diet, you need to eliminate all complex carbohydrates. Be careful with fruits as well, because they do raise blood sugar. Small fruits as snacks. Berries for instance are great. No rice no flour no bread no potatoes no pasta. You can make pasta noodles from vegetables these days so that may help. Vegetables meat nuts fruit plain yogurt eggs or egg whites, those types of foods will help you control your blood sugars better. The problem is if your sugar is high and when you do eat, you will most likely need to take insulin. I’m not sure how you would be able to handle this. There are several different types of insulin to choose from. And yes exercise. But you should not be exercising if your blood sugar is above 250 mg/dL. From the machine. Be aware of that.

Brinda Redwine

Dear BCRedwine,

I can appreciate how you are feeling and want you to know that we are here to help and listen.

As someone already mentioned in their response to you, Metformin does come in an extended release form and it is MUCH better in my opinion. I was first given the regular Metformin and it made me so sick I was almost hospitalized. I refused to take it and changed doctors. (Long story)

I have been taking Metformin ER without any problem whatsoever for 12 years. As time went on, additional oral meds were added. For a time, I took Starlix with meals. Then, the Starlix was eliminated and another oral med was prescribed.

I currently take the maximum dosage of Metformin ER daily and also use both basal and bolus insulin.

There are a lot of medications for diabetes today that you may find work for you. They have some non-insulin injectables. Some are just injected once a week. There are also a variety of oral meds that can be added as needed.

Find a good endocrinologist that is willing to work WITH you as a team member and not a one size fits all dictator.

Don’t let anyone brow beat you. It is obvious you are concerned about your health and want to do what you can to make it better.

I keep seeing a brand new injectable, non-insulin, that claims to help with weight loss as well as reduce A1C levels. I don’t know anything about it except what I see advertised on the television but the name is Ozempic.

My point is do not despair. There are plenty of options. You just need to find someone willing to work with you and get you going in the right direction.

You may be interested in searching the web for a list of diabetic medications. You will see that the list of oral and injectable medications is VERY long. Metformin and insulin are not the ONLY choices.