Her first sleep-over!

So my daughter is 10 and is finally going to her first sleep-over tonight! Woohoo! She’s slept at Grandma’s house without me before and my parents (that was an adventure) but tonight it’s a friend’s house so I’m excited about this milestone in her life.

Now it’s mostly due to our friend Dexcom, who is allowing this to happen with less worry on my part… although I wasn’t very happy with him last night, waking me up trying to tell me she was low when it was just a ‘compression low’… grrr, mamma needs her sleep! But my daughter’s friend’s mom is a good friend of mine and she’s a trooper… and was willing to go through Sarah’s care sheet today as I explained lows and highs and bolusing and hypoglycemia, and thankfully is still willing to take it on.

I’m just so happy for my daughter to experience just a little bit of “normal.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My advice.
Let it run high.
IMHO nothing wrong with 180 at bedtime for a sleepover.

1 Like

I imagine most people in the sleep-over mom’s situation gain a new appreciation for managing diabetes in a child. It’s not simply needles, insulin, and finger-pokes. We all wish it were so! Congrats on the milestone and good luck.

Good point Tim… I will get her to lower her basal tonight. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Congrats! How did it go??

She went low! Of course she did! They had gone on a long bike ride in the evening and she was low when they got back home and even though she had juice and a snack she must not have had something substantial. because she went low at 2 am. Thankfully my friend was already awake as her cats had knocked over a flower pot, so was able to give her juice and then I had her wake up my daughter so they could adjust her basal so she wouldn’t go low again. Then the rest of the night was fine… so it all worked out. :slight_smile:

I think my friend did gain a new appreciation for dealing with type 1 -and I’m happy to say she must not have been too scared because she said she would have her anytime. Now that’s a true friend! :heart:

2 Likes

So happy to see she gets to do the normal. I’m sure as the parent, you worried every minute, but I’m sure it went great and she had a blast. It is a parents job to worry about everything but kids are so resilient. I really don’t know how my parents did way back when. we all survived and I had a happy fulfilling childhood as I know your daughter is and will. Let us know how she and yourself did!