Hi everyone I'm new here

Hi, Thanks for you reply. I to have had an issue with my climbing weight. After 2 kids, a divorce, and my mom passing away suddenly over the past 2 years I have gained a lot of weight and cant seem to get it off. Maybe we can encourage each other in many ways.

Thanks for saying hi everyone. Its nice to know that there are people out there that I can talk to who can relate.

1 Like

hi Terry,

When you say larger community, what/where do you mean? When I was young my mom had me participate in everything diabetes related. Camps, walks, groups, everything, but since becoming an adult I haven’t participated in anything expect for the walk a few times and I have no idea where to even start.

Hi and welcome. You have found a community of very helpful people. I have learned so much from those on this site. I am an old dog learning new tricks in a way as I have only been dealing with the big D, t1 for almost 3 years. I was 57 when diagnosed, have 2 brothers who are t1. Since I was the oldest, I thought I had dodged that bullet, but DKA with BG of 1141 sent me into reality. I am thankful for God’s blessing in keeping alive throughout the whole ER, ICU experience and for those who are willing to share what they know. I have been on a pump for almost 2 years, but there are still many things I don’t have figured out. I recently went lower carb, not exactly low carb, but lower, about 70 carbs a day. I do see a difference in my bg so for me it seems to be worthwhile. The older I get, the more I realize that friends come in all ages and I am grateful for each. Hello new friend.

1 Like

Your original post mentioned that you wanted to connect with a compatible “buddy.” While I may not fit the demographic your prefer, It’d be nice if you continued to participate on the various threads in addition to communicating with your new buddy. So, wider community = non-buddy people like me here at TuD.

1 Like

Hi @Steph19 I’ve been diagnosed T1 for less than a week so I, too, am new to the community and looking for guidance and support. I’m 35 and am taking Lantus and Novolog. I’m still in the “honeymoon” phase so I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

Best of luck with your a1c. Last week mine was well over 10 so I’m working hard to get it to something more manageable.

Big Welcome to all the new members! To get an idea of what’s we’re talking about here, click on the Hamburger (yes, it’s called that), which is those 3 stacked bars in the upper right of your screen here. You can click on the “latest” topics, or maybe just look at a specific category, for example, the “New to Type1” category

you also got an automatic welcome message in your personal message box explaining how things work around here - if you see a green circle with a number in it next to the hamburger, that means you have a private message. click on that to read your messages.

we encourage all members to join any discussions that interest them. Use the magnifying glass icon up there in the right corner to search for things, or start a new topic. I myself have been type1 a long time, but I’ve learned a LOT from many type2s here, as well as type1s. We’re all helping each other here.

1 Like

Thx for your response…Other than the increased weight how are you liking pumping? Two of my four are PWD T1 too…My daughter has had a pump since 4 yrs of age, and my son since he was 12…We beep alot in our family :smirk:

1 Like

Hi Steph…good to hear from you…climbing weight, good way to put it. Sorry about your divorce and the passing of your mom :frowning: that is beyond tough…stress added in to any weight loss challenges…really difficult. Personally have fallen off the exercise wagon with so much going on…myself…trying to force myself into a program…I have exercised on and off for years…very challenging. How do you do with the exercise piece?

I have also fallen off the exercise wagon. I use to exercise a lot but over the years it just got less and less and now not at all. I don’t even know where to start. I feel lost with exercise now. So 2 of your kids also have t1?

I’ve fallen off the wagon too. I was a competitive athlete in my youth and now the only thing I can do is force myself to do cardio exercises like jogging and biking… That’s still s lot better than nothing though I think. I just have this fear of how overwhelmingly frustrated I’d be at this point to actually try to hit the weigh-room seriously, or try to wrestle in an adult league (my one true love with sport) it just seems like I’d be starting at zero after once having been at a high level… It’s almost an overwhelming challenge. So I just jog and bike nowadays… I still hope that I can get back into the athletic pursuits that defined so much of my youth someday…

Yes, my daughter (now 11) was diagnosed at 1 year of age, and my son (now 20) was diagnosed at 12. I believe that that was when my Diabetes really started going to the back burner…with the exercise…I used to be a huge swimmer, was a lifeguard…became an aerobics instructor…now my old injuries from these sports deter me. I have worked with personal trainers… (very pricey) I walk alot throughout my day, but truly cannot qualify that as exercise…

My 8th grader is really into wrestling - the wrestling clubs seem to always be looking for coaches, if you volunteer to help with the kids that could be a way to get back in…

1 Like

Hi Sam…
I know the feeling. I was a lifeguard, an Aerobic Dance instructor…now with Type 1 for 33 yrs, with four children (2 with Type1) my own business as a Dietitian and Diabetes Educator…I have been pretty bad with my commitment to exercise…you sound LIke you are doing better than me with the cycling etc…It’s a battle!!

1 Like

I find walking an excellent exercise for helping to control blood glucose. I consistently walk 3-6 miles each day. I’ve walked 1300 miles in the last year. I don’t walk super fast but neither do I stroll. I keep up a pace of about 3.5 miles per hour.

While I understand that walking is not as intense as jogging or cycling, I find it has an outsized effect on my blood sugar. Walking, especially when insulin is peaking, can keep the blood sugar in a tight range. Walking acts as a catalyst and seems to make my insulin more effective.

The beauty of walking is that it doesn’t require any special equipment and can be done anywhere. To prove it to yourself how walking can help your blood glucose, just do a fingerstick reading before and after a 20 minute walk for at least three walking sessions. The results might surprise you.

Valid points…I agree with you, and am going to give it a try, broken up as three 20 minute walks daily…is much more doable…crazy that I advise my patients about smaller increments, but admittedly haven’t done it myself. Thanks for pointing this out!

since many of you are new members here, you may not have heard of the BigBlueTest - it’s a program we do here, usually around November, to show how just a little moderate exercise affects your blood sugar. the idea is to check your bg, do at least 14 minutes of exercise, then check it again and record the results on our app or website. here’s a sample of some of the analysis of the data

@Essie1 hopefully when we get around to BBT time this year, you can recommend your patients participate.

1 Like

This sounds great and would like to participate and encouragING my patients with something concrete…cannot beat that!!

Interesting and (dissapointing ) The difference 79% without diabetes and 21% with…wondering why the huge difference…

We encourage everyone to get their friends, family, and co-workers to participate - (the non diabetics don’t do the blood testing part). It’s for diabetes awareness, and our sponsors get involved by covering the costs of the grants we award - always folks doing amazing work for PWD in need (you can read about them on the blog).

1 Like

I’m constantly amazed at this site and actually come here every now and then to remind myself that I’m not alone. There are people here that get it. They just understand. I’ve had T1 for 40 years (diagnosed at 27 months old) and go through phases of good control vs just wanting to live without having to think about it. At times it feels all-consuming and I just want to shut my brain off from thinking about it. Steph, hopefully you’ve found a few buddies in your area. If anyone reading this is in the Chicago area please hit me up! I need someone who understands how waking up with 250 can put a damper on your entire day or why it’s almost cause for celebration when your blood sugar flatlines for an entire 24 hours. :smile: