Hi, I'm Jimmie and I'm an Alc....uh, Diabetic

Interesting title eh? 4 months ago (before I knew I was diabetic) I quit drinking. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, probably due to the fact that I felt horrible ALL of the time. I have always enjoyed beer, and had begun enjoying it all day since my job as the Chief Information Officer was outsourced. For some reason, as a new member here, I don’t feel shy at all about telling you that I’m now a recovering alcoholic, jobless, and have just been diagnosed with Type 2. My guess is that I’m not the only one, and if that’s true, I’m in fine company. I had high hopes of getting my cholesterol under control and even losing a few pounds without the beer. I envisioned myself as I was in my 20’s, physically fit and so happy it made people sick. Since my 20’s though, I have had experiences that have changed everything. I now have combat related PTSD, and have been prone to long bouts of depression. Put it all together, and it seem like a recipe for a very bad day, right?
Well, this mess has created a very unexpected response from me. I don’t remember a time the past 10 yrs when I felt so good and optimistic, and even HAPPY. Sure, I wish some things were different, but overall, I should be one unhappy dude by most people’s standards.
When I quit drinking, I had to get real honest with myself. It was a very humbling experience. And a good one too! I had immediate changes in energy levels during the day! I was bouncing off the walls! For some reason though, after I ate, I would crash and sleep. That was the end of my energetic day. Sure, I was used to mid-afternoon naps when I was drinking. I didn’t like them, but I knew why I felt tired and crappy at least. Now I didn’t know what was going on. So last week I found out that I’m diabetic. I was scared, and needed information. I found information all over the web, but when I found this tudiabetes I knew somehow that I had stumbled upon the greatest source I could ask for.
I had just made a major lifestyle change, and it was immediately clear that I was about to make another one. Back to the honesty thing, I was familiar with how easily I could fool myself into denial of just about anything, and having just quit drinking I was fully prepared to admit that I am a diabetic; no, the Dr is not wrong, no, the tests were not flukes. I don’t have any evidence to support this, but I’m pretty sure my diabetes was self inflicted. I can honestly say that if I had received this diagnosis while I was still self-medicating, the outcome would have been devastating. I’m not sure I would have had the presence of mind to understand how serious this is, or the will to admit I had to make some big changes.
My life has changed due to some tremendous pressures. The result of all of that pressure is just amazing. I am happy. I traded my SAD diet(mostly) for a very satisfying Raw diet (mostly). My wife and I have become supportive of one another again…and we actually laugh a lot now. She said she had forgotten how funny I was. I had forgotten that she is always right :wink: The fact of the matter is, I feel more in control of my life now, when it seems that it should be fully out of control. There are many blessings I have experienced in the recent months. Knowing the answer finally to why I felt terrible literally 24/7 has been a huge blessing because now I can change, and overcome those things that are hurting me. I can only defend myself against an enemy that I recognize. While I certainly am not comparing alcoholism to diabetes (maybe I should have said that earlier) I have found that overcoming one, has delivered the strength and tremendous skill it requires to overcome the other. I’ve never understood “the truth shall set you free” but I think it has more to do with being honest with yourself than anything else. The truth only matters when you accept it as the truth. Be vigilant against “cheating” on your diet, just as an alcoholic must be vigilant to not cheat on sobriety. Your life hangs in the balance in both cases. If you are among the few of us that are addicts, be it alcohol or other drugs, take a break from it. Be fearless. You can’t possibly comprehend the way you will feel in a very short period of time. Before long you will not be able to lie to yourself anymore, and the reward for that is the strength to do whats right for you, with a smile on your face because every day is another triumph of YOUR CONTROL over those things that will harm you.
Thanks for this community, thanks for welcoming me so warmly!
One other thing to add I thought was funny…I’ve heard an alcoholic say to deal with the problem you have to find God (Group of drunks (as well as The God of course)). So, it must be equally as important to find a Group of Diabetics, right?