High BS readings and next Dr. visit

Hi Everyone, I saw a couple of discussions but need not feel comfortable tagging on to someone else topic.

I've been a type 2 for since 1998 and for the most part everything was basically fine. I had H1AC levels between 6.1 and 6.7. My morning fasting numbers were in the low 120's. Needless to say, things have changed big time. My morning numbers now are generally above 150 and 2 hours meal levels hit above 250. The real problem is that I'm really watching what I eat and quantity. I'm on glipizide and metaformin twice a day, plus a Hcl/ldl drug -Crestor, a beta-blocker and TRICOR for TriG's.

I followed the Dr. Hyman Blood Sugar Solution regime from mid Nov til mid Jan, I did lose about 30 pounds - with no effect on sugar levels. A small bowl of salad "only greens" will send me up 40 to 80 points. My diet is very low fat and low carb already, minimal diary,minimal red meat, mainly
chicken, fish, eggs and salads and always green vegetable, most times there are two greens (spinach, collards, turnips greens), brocilli, peas.

I've been having pain in my back (not back pain - I'm positive of this!) during the nite (sleep time!). I'm wondering if this pain could be from my liver and panerceas due to the high blood sugar levels.

I'm planning my next doctor visit and wanted to get some ideas of the things to push for, like referral to a endo, insulin. Oh! All my previous liver and kidney tests have been fine (including period of time with this back pain).

I've been on the foremention regiment for basically years. This past year things turned bad and I've not been able to get a handle on things.

Thoughts,Ideas, Comments.

I can't speak to the pain and other possible issues, but I would say it looks like insulin would be a very good idea. You don't want to keep going along with numbers that high and insulin will both bring them in line and make you feel better. Don't be afraid of it; so many Type 2's are taught that insulin is failure when if you're at that point it can lead to more success!

I have to tell you, I don't believe we got diabetes because we were fat. And while you may have lost some weight on this diet, it is not surprising it didn't make a huge difference in your blood sugar levels. And you are on glipizide (a sulfonylurea) which is known to not be very durable (it doesn't work forever). Studies that I have seen suggest that after about seven years, sulfonylureas fail. Some people think it is even worse, that sulfonylureas burn out your pancreas. I don't believe that, but I do believe that high blood sugars burn out your pancreas.

I would really suggest that you talk to your doctor about insulin. And I would recommend just starting an intensive insulin regime with a basal/bolus. Good books that help explain this are "Using Insulin" by John Walsh and "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner.

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that the time for insulin has arrived, as well. I do not consider this event as a failure per se, but I'm not overly excited about these turn of events, either. I just hate needles!

You will be surprised at how little it hurts; most of us think pricking our fingers for testing hurts more! The needles are very small. Brian has given you great advice. Your doctor will be surprised (and hopefully pleased!) at how proactive you are. Using insulin is a definite learning curve and the books recommended will help you over the hump.

I'm not fat at 6'1 and 240 before the 30 pound drop -- I had a couple of extra inches. I've still have little belly pad - which I wanted to try and firm up with exercise. Outside from my belly, I'm lean almost to the point of skinny. Personally, I think I'm losing my muscle mass. I plan on having a serious talk with my Doctor about insulin. Thanks for the comments!