High fasting sugars

hello
I did not read all the replies, may be somebody already said what I am about to write.
High morning blood sugars of 150-200 are saying that a) your pancreas are providing very little or no insulin when you sleep and/or b) insulin resistance of you body cells is high. Insulin resistance restricts the passage of sugar into cells for burning.
I would get a c-peptide test and have a good endo dr to interpret it to see if your pancreas are making any insulin. C-peptide results are tricky to interpret.
You may be bordering to type I diabetes. In any case, I would start with atleast 5 units of nightly Lantus. Lantus is long acting insulin and will provide to burn your sugar as you sleep.
I will also walk min of 2 miles before you sleep. Also I suggest do a 30 min hath yoga before you sleep. Good yoga involves
If you did lantus, walk and yoga for 2-3 daysā€“I can bet a whole lot money that your morning sugar will drop to 120 range.
This therapy can almost cure you unless you are now type 1 and your pancreas produce no insulin.
I have used these remedies for last 12 years with very good results. I am almost 75 now
good luck

1 Like

I really do need to see a good endo. I am just so burned out on docs right now from other major illnesses. I need that test though. But if I am bordering type one, I donā€™t think I would need 80 units of insulin to cover a meal though unless I have both problems. But this week is better most days Iā€™m back between 105 -110 fasting, with just one day of 160 and one day of 140. I canā€™t do any exercise. I am in chronic pain in my leg and it takes everything I have just to work 15 hours a week. I even have to take pain meds in order to work. Without pain meds, I would not even be working. If I walked 2 miles, Iā€™d be laid up for a week and unable to work. I wake every day with cramps in my leg so bad I have to massage it to get out of bed. The leg has been damaged by blood clots and pretty much dictates all of my activities. This makes me wonder if maybe the Type 2 happened after my leg got messed up and I stopped being active. I had Normal blood sugar when first diagnosed with the blood clots. Any how, I have a gang of other issues like enlarged right heart and autoimmune disorders. Diabetes worries me, but it probably isnā€™t going to be the disease that gets to me in the end though.

You know what scares me more than all of this is another round of Bells Palsy. I have had it three times now and last time I lost 30 percent of facial movement. The next bout will leave me all messed up in the face. The clock is ticking on this and there is nothing I can do at all to stop it. Sorry for the rants. Iā€™m just getting tired of all this medical stuff. We make all of these changes and sacrifices just to continue on living and what do we get in the end? A few extra years? I will ask my doc if he can send me to an endo though. All of the males and females on my Grandfatherā€™s side had varying levels of diabetes from type 2 to type 1. I know there is also a genetic component to all of this.

My jobs are like exercise though. I am drenched in sweat and heart rate is 120 -130 BPM when working. I think it qualifies as exercise, just paid exercise. But I get dizzy sometimes and it feels like I am going to pass out and fall down. I donā€™t know what causes this because I check BP and all is well. Could be the heart issue. Doc did not explain anything about the enlarged right ventricle from clots in lungs other than that it is still pumping good. I suspect that possibly it does not pump as good under the stress of working. My heart rate also remains high all night after work. It stays at 100 until the next day. I read when HR does not normalize after exercise it is a heart issue. Will the C-Peptide test be able to show how many Beta cells have been killed off? Thanks for your advice. I will do all of it except the walking.

Yeah I need to find someone to help. I took on a few extra office cleaning jobs and with all the chronic illness, I can barely stay awake after work now some nights. I just eat and then knock out until the next day and then do it all over again. Have you ever tried Digestive Enzymes and OX Bile? They really help me. You can eat fatty foods and then take these enzymes and they do the work of the GB. Iā€™d literally have to go back onto the non-fat diet if I did not have these supplements. I have a lot going on, but I do not post that for sympathy. I just post it to show how daunting it is to deal with so many issues. Itā€™s like playing whack a mole with the grim reaper. Heā€™s trying to pop up and then Iā€™m taking this med to slap him back down again lol. I have to check my INR again because it just started dropping down to a normal personā€™s level and that means clots can get me. I just wonder sometimes what this fighting is for is all. But I know others have even dire medical issues. I also do not compare myself with the Type 1ā€™s. I have a lot of respect for Type 1ā€™s. They are the real heroā€™s and fighters. I could not imagine having all of that to deal with as a child and not even being able to understand why you have to inject. I was cleaning my Monday building and there was a table full of Halloween candy sitting there. I was tempted to take one, but then said no donā€™t want to ruin my 80 BG lol. Any how everyone, sorry for my gloom and doom, the last three weeks have left me with anxiety and dread so bad that it is almost burning a hole in my stomach. I have no one to talk to about this, not even a therapist understands. The last one thought going on a Keto diet would fix everything. Thank you for your advice.

1 Like

Digestive enzymes are the bomb for LCHF (low carb high fat) diets, especially if you have no gall bladder :partying_face:

Consider lap swimming or water aerobics. Water aerobics can be very social too. If you do not have access to a pool, consider expertise in your chair. There are plenty of YouTube videos to instruct you.

I teach water aerobics and Sliver Sneakers. Both are very effective, especially at getting weight off your legs. Excellent for cross training.

I get good exercise four days a week. I am sweating even in the winter time. I clean empty buildings at night It is a lot of work. I consider it to be paid exercise/rehabilitation for the bad leg. Itā€™s the only thing that forces me to be active as the rest of the week I am recovering from said work.

1 Like

Pool and chair exercises are good options for your days off. You might find the pool will relax you. I know it helps me. I love the pool. Nancy50

Blizzard, do you think the pain is causing some high blood sugars?

Thatā€™s an interesting question. I know the pain prevents me from doing a lot of exercise. I canā€™t even climb a staircase, or even step onto a curb with my bad leg. It simply cannot bear any weight like that. My good leg does all the climbing. Maybe the pain also cause high sugars. Sometimes I do not sleep well because of sleep apnea and that might have something to do with it all.

Nancy Imma start riding a bike again. I know I can try that. It is low impact, just need to see if the bad leg has strength to pedal. Maybe riding a bike will help as climbing stairs cannot fix anything.

Losing weight helps your overall health. But since I retired at age 65 and 277 pounds, I am now 221 pounds and still very much dependent on both long lasting and fast insulin, LANTUS and NOVOLOG. Also take TRULICITY weekly. Got a1c to 6.7 now itā€™s climbing again, last 7.6. This is so frustrating. For last six month have been counting crabs like crazy. Very little bread, no cake, no cookies and no pizza. Finding out my last a1c is depressing. Going to doctor on Wednesday, hope we can work out a solution.

Your night time sugars effect your a1c more than days. You might need more basal insulin at night, but of course if you donā€™t have cgm itā€™s scary to reduce that.
I used to allow myself to go in the 200s at night just so I wouldnā€™t wake up dead.
Now I sit in the 90s with cgm and a pump.
My a1c was around 7 sometimes more. Now hovering in the low 5s.

1 Like

I need to lose weight too and change a lot. I get burn out because of my other two diseases and feel like resistance is futile. Today my BP was going to 160/118 when standing, now it is back down to 130/90 sitting. I stopped treating the spikes because they only happen when standing, and no doc can give me a reason why. I do not stand much now that I am in between jobs. So, going high is not a sustained event, but the spike is pretty scary. I wish Diabetes was my only ailment. It would be easier to focus in on it. Congrats with the weight loss. Every little bit helps. Yeah the higher A1C is kind of alarming, but it is not that bad yet. Hopefully they can help you get it down. I will be purchasing an A1C now testers and start checking mines. I donā€™t want to go anywhere near a docā€™s office right now with COVID. I wish Diabetes was an easier to control disease like with blood clots. I take my blood thinners and rarely have to adjust them and no clots for 8 years. Not the same with Diabetes. The game and the rules keep on changing on us.