How am I GAINING weight?

Yes, I have an autoimmune thryoid disorder called Hashimotos. I have it checked regularly to see if my synthroid levels need changing. Just had it checked last week, in fact, and it's ok at the level of synthroid I'm on.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, JustLookin :)

I had the same problem. My blood sugar had been fairly stable for 7 yrs of T2, I did not stray from my 1500 calorie diet (less than 50 carbs a day). But I started gaining weight. I did the gym for a year and that put on more pounds (not muscle). By April of this year I had gained 45 pounds on a diet that most people would lose weight on. I finally just had it. I put myself on a very strict diet: less than 20 carbs a day, and for the first month, less than 500 calories a day. Since the beginning of the second month I have been on 750 calories a day, but no additional carbs. I have lost the 45 pounds but now I don't know what to do. I feel fine, I'm not hungry, but I don't think this is sustainable, and I already know what happens with just a few more calories a day. Is it possible that some of us just aren't meant to eat very much? I don't recommend this for anyone, by the way, I wouldn't have done it myself except I was desperate. I was doing everything I could and just kept watching my weight and my A1Cs go up (5.6 was the highest, now I'm back down to 5.1). My morning readings were pushing 115 and now they're in the high 70s. Are they looking for volunteers for a Mars expedition? They wouldn't have to pack much food for me.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but these are two things I did. I had lost weight prior to dka and actually wanted to gain it back but then on lantus I was worried I was going to gain too much back. So I switched to levemir, which worked.

Recently I also starting having a nutriblast for breakfast/brunch and walking 2.5 miles nearly every day or something else and I lost 2-3 pounds. I didn't want to lost weight but I have wanted to try a fruit/veggie based diet & to experiment with insulin doses and see how it affects my ratios. I saw someone's video who had gotten to 1 unit to 60g carbs on a raw fruit/veggie diet. I had to stop the nutriblasts for a bit though because they gave me the runs. Too much raw too quickly prolly since I have ibs. Maybe that was why I lost weight, lol.

One word: Carbs. I was gaining weight like CRAZY after starting insulin and once I got on my Dexcom cgm I realized that I am extremely carb sensitive. Bread, FRUIT, potatoes, pasta....anything like that spikes me high! Like I will seriously pack on mega weight if I eat more than 50-80 grams a day. If I want to lose weight, I really have to stay below 30 grams per day. When you eat Carbs....your body has to kick out a lot of insulin.....if you are a Type 2....you probably are already kicking out quite a bit of insulin as it is....your body just doesn't recognize it. Insulin is the most powerful fat storing hormone in the body. If you get your insulin levels down by eating fewer carbs I guarantee it will turn your life around.

I have Hashi's too. I can't tell from your post if you were diagnosed as Type 1 or type 2. With a Hashi's diagnosis you definitely need to be checked for autoimmune diabetes....or Type 1. It's also called LADA. It's a simple blood test where they check for GAD antibodies. I was originally misdiagnosed with Type 2 and was putting on weight like crazy. Once I got on insulin, lowered my daily carbs, and started doing some light walking each day the weight fell off quickly. I pray you will find what works for you and your body. This is just my experience, you have to find what works for you.

I agree with Pump Girl about carbs. If you have 2x pieces of toast w/ breakfast, try one. Or try 7G of carb bread instead of 13. I keep both on hand most of the time and have pretty much been through the bread section to compare how many carbs are in which breads. I've also found tracking my macronutrient ratio (Protein/ Carb/ Fat) can be helpful. When I hit 50% protein, I will often drop some weight. It's good to keep track of stuff but, if you aren't getting where you want to be, perhaps try to do some experiments to see if you can work a change into your diet and stick to it for a couple of weeks and see if it moves things in a different direction? Good luck with that!

Thanks again guys. I am trying to be more mindful of my carbs, and have especially since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I don't eat any celiac specialty foods much and mostly eating protiens. I do love fruit though. I average about 75-90 carbs a day give or take. Is that too high??

Have you tried to eat to your meter? Test before for your fasting/pre meal level, and then ever half hour after first bite to see where you tend to peak. If you do this a few time and find when you peak then you can just test pre meal and at your usual peak time. Then look at how high you get with various foods/carb amounts and also time of day. For most the ideal rise is less than 40 points, from pre to post meal BGs.
You may find that some carbs do not spike you in evening but will first thing in morning. You may also also find that some foods are OK in small amounts but not in larger portions.
This will apply to both gluten containing foods as well as gluten free foods. Each person's D will vary, you will need to figure out what works for you personally.

I have found that for me things like whole lentils, chickpeas and black beans do not spike me, but hummus and refried beans do. A lot has to due with time of day and how things are prepared. The less processed, and the more control you have on what gets added the better your control will be.

Do you have thyroid issues? nancy

ugh, not Celiac. Thats a bummer. Your carb amount sound normal to me. Thats about what I eat, you eating a lot of protein on top of that? I dunno. I vote that this is a thyroid-thing.

losing a few pounds like that isn't a big deal I'll lose weight then I'll gain it back. If you think that you have Diabetes and you are concerned please see your doctor.

I used to weigh 80 pounds so I went to a GNC near by my house and they recommend that I start taking weight gainer shakes or vitamines &minerals ....and now I weigh 115!!!!

Insulin is a fat storing hormone. If you are taking large doses you will gain weight. If you aren't already I suggest being on a very low carb diet which should help you to not require as much insulin. Look into Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

i second that.