How did Type 1 diabetes ever become defined as a childhood disease?

I was dx at age 8 in 1959. I don’t remember it being a rapid onset. I lost a lot of weight so I got very skinny. I remember being extremely thirsty all the time and of course having to run to the bathroom a lot. My mom took me to the doctor a couple of times, but it wasn’t until I was close to death that he checked my blood. Diabetes just wasn’t thought of very much then. He felt awful and wanted to quit his practice for his error.

I spent a grand total of 3 days in the hospital and never went to a diabetes camp. When I was first dx the only child diabetics that I knew of in our midsize city died. Once in jr hi, I knew of one other child with diabetes although in my large school we were not friends. She was kept in very tight control and I remember the ambulance coming to the school several times and taking her to the hospital.

My doctor thought that strict control could be harmful for a child emotionally so I just needed to have my urine free of sugar once a day. Amazing that 60 yrs later I am in very good condition.

I always had juvenile diabetes and it wasn’t until decades later that I heard of adults being type 1 also.