How do they know which type you are?

There is a lot of denial about the prevalence of new-onset Type 1 diabetes in adults–a new book, “Type 1 Diabetes in Adults: Principles and Practice” (Informa Healthcare, 2008) says that adult-onset autoimmune diabetes is two to three times more common than classic childhood onset autoimmune diabetes (p. 27). Yet so many of us who acquire Type 1 diabetes as adults are misdiagnosed as having Type 2, and receive inappropriate treatment as a result. C-peptide and antibody testing are essential! Also, when given antibody tests, a percentage of women who have gestatational diabetes are found to be antibody-positive. Pregnancy is “the straw that broke the camel’s back” and pushes a woman over the edge into full-blown Type 1 diabetes.

I completely agree, Melitta. When I hear a woman was diagnosed with GD I always tell her to be even more aware of how she is feeling in the early moths and years after her child birth. Women must be more in-tuned with their bodies. You relayed my feelings on this subject very accurately and very clearly. Kudos! By the way, where did you locate that book?

Hi Rebecca–The book, “Type 1 Diabetes in Adults: Principles and Practice” is available on amazon.com. But it is REALLY expensive, because it is geared toward professionals (M.D.s) and not laypeople. The information on the prevalence of Type 1 in adults (and also the presence of antibodies in women with gestational diabetes) is widely available in diabetes medical journals.

I also was diagnosed while in the hospital. They started with oral type 2 meds and since those didn’t work, I ended up on Lantus and Novolog. I later was given the blood tests and diagnosed as type 1. It is interesting though how so many people are assumed to be T2 because of age or weight.

I don’t do “expensive”; I do “Library”. hah!

Thanks for the information though.

I suspected I had diabetes due to severe symptoms and tremendous weight lose (was a walking skeleton!), so my doc had me go for a fasting blood test. She did diagnose me with diabetes, but as I was an adult, assumed I was type 2, and put me on glyburide & avandia. I ended up shortly thereafter in the hospital emergency with really bad hyperglycemia (was in the upper 700’s) and in a bad state. The ER doc put me on insulin - blessed relief! An appointment with the Endo confirmed I was actually type 1.

Maureen and Chris, unfortunately your stories are too common! Type 1 diabetes should be diagnosed based on etiology, not age. It is NOT a childhood disease! The tests are available (c-peptide and antibody) to make a correct diagnosis. Misdiagnosis is malpractice, in my opinion, since Type 1 and Type 2 are two completely different diseases.

does anyone know what the determining c-peptide level is for type 1 and type 2? and what is a “normal” c-peptide?