How does exercise affect your BGs if you are on a low carb diet?

Hi all,
I am trying out being on a low carb diet. So far I am very pleased- no spikes in BGs. I am wondering how exercise would affect my BGs if I am on a low carb diet? I am planning to be on 100 g of carbs a day.

Any advice/ideas are very very welcome :slight_smile:

The bottom line of exercise is that it takes energy to exercise. You need extra energy to do it. Without it, you will go low.

I’m in a group called Sports and Diabetes Group Northwest in Seattle and the #1 thing that all the extreme athletes in this group say is that you need energy first. Without it, the wheels fall off. You will go low.

1 Like

My experience (I am on very low carb diet now est. about 20 - 30 g /day), is that short bursts of higher intensity exercise raise my blood sugar temporarily, but it is best not to bolus, as the blood sugar may also drop fairly quickly back to baseline once the exercise stops.

Long endurance activities (talking 2 or more hours) initially have minimal impact, but will send me low later for 24 - 48 hours and need close monitoring and reduction in insulin doses.

However, everyone’s experience is different. Some people have major drops from exercise. So monitor closely.

I think that the affects of exercise are pretty consistent, independent of what I’m eating. My experience is similar to JustLookin, except that I bolus and raise my temp basal.

We are the reverse. Temp basal reduction - usually about 50%. Bring carbs to eat and often eat about 12 carbs of something every 20~30 minutes depending on what the BG is doing.

This would be for aerobic exercise such as biking or kayaking.

My experience is that you if you truly do a low carb diet you move from being “carb adapted” to “fat adapted.” And while you might never get the peak aerobic performance that an athlete get’s who is carb adapted you can get more than sufficient energy to perform aerobic exercise. And in fact some endurance athletes have found that being fat adapted means that they don’t have a “wall” which is when you get to the point of having depleted your glycogen stores. You can just blow through the wall as you burn the thousands and thousands of fat calories stored in your body.

In general I don’t have lows because of my glucose being all sucked up, my lows are mostly that my body becomes more insulin sensitive during and after exercise. I also find that anaerobic exercise (like weight training) raises my blood sugar. And rather than messing around with insulin I have developed mixed aerobic/anaerobic routines that balance each other out. Something like interval training is perfect for this.