How does having diabetes mix with your career?

I was diagnosed with Type I at the age of 24 so I had already begun my career in the business field. At the time of my diagnosis, I was working as staff to our state legislature and the hours were crazy from early until midnight with no ability to take off at all when the legislature was in session. The stress, hours, and inability to take off for doctor appointments caused me to change jobs, but still in the same field.

I've always worked primarily a desk job, which has it's own challenges from lack of exercise, but also has many advantages for testing, bringing my lunch, and treating lows. I've avoided jobs with more than occasional travel because I find it more difficult to manage with meals out and changes in routine.

Overall, though, I have prided myself on my reputation for a strong work ethic. I am open about my diabetes, but I work harder than everyone else because I don't want anyone to think I'm using my diabetes as an "excuse" or to get special treatment. I've proven to anyone who knows me that I take care of myself and produce more than my peers.

Up until recently, I've never felt the need to ask for any special accomodations. Now after working with diabetes for 27 years, I recently filed for FMLA protection due to chronic condition with my employer so that I can do what I need to do to care for myself. My current administrator is difficult at best with all of our middle managers so I decided to be proactive in protecting myself. It's worth the peace of mind.

I have not allowed diabetes to impact my career path. I work as an event coordinator at a convention center, which means I work any and all hours: days, nights, weekends, holidays, early mornings, late nights, and even over night. I do love my job and everyone knows I have diabetes and wear a pump. I do my best to share that information, because in an emergency, I may not be able to help myself.
Having a pump has been the best option for my career. I started on MDI, but quickly changed treatment due to flexibility.

I find the hardest part is explaining to my Health Care Team my career's impact on me. They really don't get how I can work such crazy hours and are boggled by my fasting numbers. Sometimes I test at 4AM, sometimes it's Noon!

Wow! I can only imagine how much harder it would be to manage my diabetes w/o a consistent schedule. I'm curious to know if your A1C and basic health needs are under control? As for myself, I am living two lives...days at work, which are fairly consistent. And days off of work, which are more like roller coasters.

The diagnosis has/had no direct influence that I am aware of at least?