How has technology improved your D Life?

Actually now that I look at their website, all cartridges for the OptiClik will stop being sold after March 2011. Weird.

Danny, I also use the Dex. My problem is that I look at it 3 times per hour and tend to panic. Danny as you know I was dx’d in 1958 at the age of 3 when you had to pee into a cup. No bg meters, no test strips, no A1c’s, no pumps,and no glucose tablets, but technology has made a differents in my life. Not sure what has impacted it the most. Maybe all!!!

+1 on the CGM, even though I will never let it completely replace my BG meter. The first time I saw info for a CGM, I was intrigued and knew I had to have one. It’s not perfect nor accurate all of the time, but it is a nice addition to the arsenal.

I’d say the patch pump is a close second though. Pumps have been around for awhile now, but if it weren’t for the tubeless Omnipod, I honestly don’t know if I would have ever switched from MDI.

ack horse syringe! Scary.

I will have to keep that in mind the next time I complain about the CGM needle.

They have actually already stopped the OptiClik for Apidra. That ticked me off because the SoloStar doesn’t work right if you try to dose 1 or 2 units.

I was diagnosed Jan 84. I was lucky because meters were already starting to be used – although at the time, my doctor had to fight my insurance company to get me one. I do agree that the current meters are not as accurate as the old ones were.

I think current insulins are better. Out of all the different insulins I have used over the years, I like Apidra the best because it is consistent & gets out of my body the fastest. I just started using a pump in June and that has really helped being able to bolus for protein & fat. I have multiple basal rates throughout the day to better meet what my body needs, not what some insulin decides to do. I can sleep without setting alarms to take insulin because my pump is programmed to do that for me.

But the #1 gadget for improving control is my Dexcom. I can watch what my BS is doing. I can set ranges for where I want my BS to be and get alerts when it goes outside those ranges. I get alerts if it starts going up and down too fast. It also helps with treatment decisions when you know how fast you are going up or down.