How high would you go?

During a recent tolerance test as a part of a research project I reached a high of 327 (lab result) in 90 minutes with my pump suspended (no basal) and no bolus before the test began. The interesting thing is the 2 hr lab result was 232 and I had no detectable C-peptide (I produce no detectable insulin of my own). I was diagnosed in 1958 six weeks before my 11th birthday; so I know all about Clinitest urine tests.

Too true!! HA!!! And like you I do feel for the diabetics before us!!

Nel, Just to clarify, there are two types of ogtts. The one in pregnancy is 50 g of liquid sugar they test one hour after. If you’re not pregnant, it’s a fasting reading then 75g and two hours later. If you’re 11 mmols or higher you’re diagnosed.

And to answer your question, my thyroid was tested three times before October (once by the endo in Feb), so it isn’t what’s causing my high sugars. It’s something recent that happened.

Don’t do it on purpose. It’s dangerous.

I tended to stay in the orange and blue too! Sorry forgot to say it awhile ago! HA!!

Your not crazy at all. btw, the test aren’t that expensive and you don’t have to show record of trying oral medications to have a c-peptide done. Tell your doc its your right as a patient to know exactly what your body is doing and how can he deny a test that may be the deciding factor for how he/she treats your diabetes.

Oh. When I didn’t change my pod when I was suppose to I went up to 250. my last c-peptide was .8 or something like that

Hi Kelly: Physicians are supposed to abide by “first do no harm.” To tell someone who most probably has Type 1 autoimmune diabetes (and requires insulin to survive) to stop taking insulin is extreme harm (and malpractice). The definitive test for Type 1 autoimmune diabetes (at any age of onset) is antibody testing (glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies (GADA), islet cell antibodies (ICA), and insulinoma-associated (IA-2) autoantibodies). The out-of-pocket expense for the test is less than $500 (but your insurance should cover it). Please take good care of yourself!

I have forgotten many an injection or meal bolus over the years… High 300s, 400s usually.

In college, I used to ask my friends to ask me if I had bolused if they saw me eating. I actually needed a lot of help remembering once I switched from MDI to a pump!

I eat about 40-50 g of carbs and it probably ranges between 350 and 450 2 hours after a meal if I forget to take my insulin. My doctor sends me every year for that throid test, b/c if you have one autoimmune disease, it is more likely you will get another

I have no idea how Canadian healthcare works, I see you are from Calgary, but I would see if there is a way to get the c-peptide test and pay for it myself, if it isn’t too expensive.

Good luck. .

I believe. it’s against the law in Canada to pay for a health service that’s covered under the public system. But my TU friends have given me plenty of information that I can take to the doctor and make a good arguement.