How Kids are Told they Have Type 1 - Survey Request

My name is Michele Palk and I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 3. I am a Master of Psychology student in Toronto, Ontario researching how children are first told they have Type 1 Diabetes. I want to learn how people like doctors, nurses, social workers, etc. helped children, or could have done a better job. I believe this information could help other children in the future who will be diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Tudiabetes.org gave me permission to post this message.

If you have Type 1 Diabetes, are age 10 or older, and remember the moment you were diagnosed, please consider filling out my survey. It will take about 20 minutes. Click on the link below to check it out. Your time, and help, is greatly appreciated!

http://fluidsurveys.com/s/type1diabetesdiagnosistochildrenconsent/

I went to a doctor with a really bad "flu" and was sent home. He called after testing the urine sample I left (this was before the days of routine BG testing) so my parents told me what it was and that I had to go to the hospital. I was so sick it meant nothing to me. Not to mention that no one in my family or friends had it so I really had no expectations anyway (I think at some point I asked "what's diabetes?"). I was just glad to get to a hospital where they started giving me insulin where I eventually started feeling better.

Thanks for your input! Can I ask you please fill out the survey at http://fluidsurveys.com/s/type1diabetesdiagnosistochildrenconsent/

This survey has been approved by TuDiabetes Administration.

Hello everyone! Just a quick reminder about the survey I am doing regarding people's experiences being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in childhood. If you have Type 1 Diabetes, remember your diagnosis, and are 10 years of age or older please consider filling out my survey at http://fluidsurveys.com/s/type1diabetesdiagnosistochildrenconsent/
Thanks a lot,
Michele

filled it out :)

Took the survey. When you finish the surveying and write up some results, I would be interested to see the results and how you interpret them.

I was 14 when diagnosed, which is probably older than a lot of kids, and remember being told quite well, but today am not really sure I can remember what it was like to not have diabetes and not worry about insulin and bg and hypos and high bg's all the time. That's surprising sometimes. I remember a lot about my two weeks in the hospital and learning and attitudes after diagnosis but not a whole lot beforehand. I just knew so little beforehand.

Thanks a lot for your support!

Thanks a lot for your participation Tim!

There was a place on the consent form to leave your email if you were interested in the results. If you left it, great, I plan to send something out when all the data is analyzed. If by chance you did not leave your email, just send me a message with your email and I be sure to send you information about the results.

I was very young when diagnosed and have limited memories of life before Type 1. However, I have some very clear memories of my diagnostic experience and want to learn from others what their experience was like to hopefully support young people who will go through this experience in future.

i was not yet 3 years old so don't know but i remember going to the hospital from time to time for blood tests in the arm. i was a very courageous child.that was in france.

I started to fill out the survey but then my browser crashed. Is there a way to continue where I left off, or should I just start over?

Courageous indeed! I would love to hear about the memories you do have!

Hi Jen, if you saved the survey at some point, the site should have generated a code you can use to continue where you left off - the "save and continue" feature. If not, you could contact www.fluidsurveys.com to see if they can take you back. Otherwise, pain as it may be, you may have to start again :( - something I would appreciate :)

Sure, I'll start again. Hope it doesn't mess up your data! I'm a master's student as well (in education). I recently finished my data collection and writing my thesis, and now I'm going through revisions and feedback from my supervisor in preparation for the defense. So I wish you the best of luck! And I'd also be interested in reading the results. :)

I filled it out. I wish you luck with project.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help!

Thanks! I appreciate your help! The survey response is growing (thanks tudiabetes members!), which is great! People have been generous with their stories and time - the results should be interesting and hopefully useful! All the best with your defense - that's fabulous!

Hello everyone! Just a quick reminder to please consider filling out my survey regarding your memories of being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Michele

i filled it out
might not have done a good job but i did the best i could

Everyone's story is important! Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey!