How long before you got pregnant?

Hello!!!

I am little excited and scared at the time. I have been working very hard to get my A1C bellow 6.5 so my doctors can give me the okay to get pregnant. I am going to the lab on Monday…so very scared and excited!!! I just have a question for you all… How long did it take you to get pregnant after your doctor gave you the okay? I am scared that I have worked so hard to be where I want to be and maybe it will take me a year to get pregnant and my number will go up again. I have never been really bad… my A1C have always been between 7.2 and 7.8 at the worst, but still!!! I am 35 years old so I think that will also make it harder for me to get pregnant… I will appreciate any comments you have on this matter, it is so hard to be diabetic and go through this without other diabetics. Thanks in advance!!!

I would recommend researching and understanding fertility – like when are your fertile days and try to find out when you ovulate (the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a comprehensive guide).

It took us 2 months to get pregnant, but this varies a lot from couple to couple.

My response is exactly like Kristin’s. Would highly recommend the book because before we even started ttc I knew when I ovulated based on the signs the book teaches you. It took us 2 months as well but I’m only 51/2 wks along which is a very scary time for me because I’m so afraid of miscarriage.

Hi, I’m 35 and 17 weeks along - this time it took 4 months. Good luck :slight_smile:

It took us 4 years but I really think it was because certain factors had to fall into place before the timing was right. They were in order:

• being diagnosed with diabetes after walking around undiagnosd for a good while (June 2010)
  • moving into a house big enough for us and baby, so baby wouldn’t have to sleep in a drawer (Sept 2010)
  • dx A1C of 20+% down to 5.9% in September 2010
  • the last piece of the puzzle was getting my insulin sorted out. I was using Novorapid/Novolog/Novoslow which takes 2 hours to work, which is completely useless as far as meeting post-prandial pregnancy targets is concerned! I picked up my first Apidra pen in the first week of April. Baby is due Jan 11th 2012.

So really, once every piece of the puzzle was filled in, it happened immediately! I was 35 when we started and 39 when all the pieces fell into place, so don’t be too discouraged by the age issue.

Thanks for the book recommendation… Googling it as we speak! :wink: two months… that gives me hope :slight_smile:

thanks for your reply! :slight_smile: I will order the book today :slight_smile: Congratulations and good luck on your pregnancy! Praying for you :slight_smile:

Congratulations!!! hope everything is well with your pregnancy!! :slight_smile:

thank you very much for your reply! I am so happy to hear that everything is in place for your and your baby is on its way. Do you use shots or pump? I have never heard of Apidra, will look it up though. I am on the pump, so I dont know if you can really use anything other than novolog or humalog. Anyway, keep us posted on your pregnancy and once again, Congratulation!!! It is so uplifting to hear good and successful stories!

lol, every chick I know who read that book has gotten preggers within 6 months. I read it before I got pregnant with my first because I needed a natural form of birth control…fortunately I miscalculated my ovulation and got pregnant with my gorgeous daughter. This time around, I went off the pill in February and got pregnant during my first ovulation. I haven’t found that the diabetes has affected my fertility at all but then again I’m from a family where we get pregnant if you look at us the wrong way. The best advice I can offer is, don’t stress out about getting pregnant (stress messes with your ovulation) and focus more on having naughty fun with hubby.

LoL i know!! i keep telling myself that I need to relax, but it is so hard when you hear so many horror stories from so many people!!! That is why I want to hear nice stories and I thought the best place to find them is here, among people who went through it! Thanks for your reply, I will take your advise… especially the one about my hubby :wink:

It only took us ONE MONTH to get pregnant, and I was 38 at the time. I have been married before and it never worked…go figure! The book recommendation is a good one, but for a less complicated way of pinpointing your fertile days is to purchase an ovulation monitor. They are a little pricey, and the sticks you pee on aren’t cheap, either, but I swear that was the key for us. Although I have always had a general sense of when I was ovulating, the monitor actually showed me that my highest fertility day was a day earlier than I thought it was from the physical symptoms. And I was TERRIBLE about tracking my temperature like I was supposed to according to the book.

I went with the Clear Blue monitor:http://www.drugstore.com/clearblue-easy-fertility-monitor/qxp38607?catid=101415

Always be wary of where the horror stories come from…Sometimes I think they are Urban Myths because it’s always a friend of a friend…lol. I remember seeing the movie Steel Magnolias just after I got diagnosed with T1 and was terrified to get preggers. It was my first Endo that set the record straight for me. She was a T1 and had 2 kids.
I got pregnant with my daughter 2 weeks after my Endo told me that my A1C was 8.6 and that I would have a hard time conceiving. Told him I wasn’t trying but got preggers 2 weeks later and worked really hard to get my A1C down to a 6.0 and my daughter was born perfectly healthy.

that is so nice that your endo was a diabetic herself! My doctors are not horrible, but they tell me that I need to be very committed to what I am going to do and they tell me all the risks… but they are not very positive either, I guess they rather I am scared and be mroe careful than for me to think that it will be easy. I dont know… I just want to hear positive stories all of the time, so really thanks for sharing yours! :slight_smile:

wow!!! one month! that is so good!!! :slight_smile: I am going to look into the monitor, it might be worth the money :slight_smile: thanks for your reply!!!

It took us 9 months. My endo and I decided after 7 months of keeping my A1c held at beautiful levels that I should go ahead and consult a reproductive endo. The soonest they could see me was about 6 weeks later. We got pregnant immediately upon working with him and taking Clomid/Ovidrel (and having prescribed, timed intercourse). Romance by the clock, baby.

figers cross!! :smiley: I am going to the doctor on Monday :smiley: Thanks for your reply!!!

LoL i know!!! Im hoping I dont have to do that, but you gotta do what you gotta do! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for you reply!!

I second (or third!) the recommendation for the book “Taking Charge of Your Fertility”. A wonderful resource!!! The book REALLY helped me to understand my natural cycle, free from any hormonal birth control. I got a somewhat unofficial green light from my doctors about a year ago, and at the time my a1c’s were good, I think in the 5.8-6.3 range. My husband and I waited until it was a good time for us personally, then when we decided to go from “trying to avoid” to “trying to conceive” it took… one try! :slight_smile: I feel incredibly fortunate, but you never know what your situation will be until you start trying. I tried to prepare myself for a long difficult process, considering I’ve been T1D for over 10 years with at times horrible control (read: a1c’s in the 9’s at times). It may be difficult for you, but it also may not. I agree with the others- don’t listen to the horror stories. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you Lauren! I think it will take longer because I am still on brith control. I have been wainting to leave to take an hormone free birth control, but I have always thought that did not work! I should have bought the book a long time ago! :S but it is in the mail right now, so I have a lot of reading to do :smiley: thanks for your reply!!