How low do you go?

I started tightly controlling my diabetes about 6 months ago, and I just started noticing this week that I was unaware of lows I previously would’ve noticed. Yesterday for example I started feeling low,which normally means im hitting about 75, but when I checked I was at 45. I had 2 similar episodes earlier this week and then one today. I went on a 2 mile walk and decided half way through to check my bg, since I have begun going low more, I felt fine ,but I was at 80. The only advice I could offer is to check more frequently, and if you’re having alot of lows maybe try adjusting your insulin levels. A medical alert bracelet is a good idea too, just in case, god forbid, you should end up unresponsive. I just gave my boyfriend the run down yesterday on what to do should I not be able to help my self. He looked freaked out. This is new to him, but he’s doing pretty good so far. Good luck.

Well, I’ve had friends/family with phobias so it’s a little like that kind of panic. Irrational and physical.

I started experiencing hypo unawareness around the time I tightened control about 7-8 years ago (about 10 years into D). The upside is that I am almost completely functional well into the 30s. I become dyslexic and can’t do math in my head, but I don’t experience confusion, inability to ask for help, paranoia, or impairment of motor function anywhere near what I used to in the 50s and 60s. So once I do realize that I need treatment it goes ok. The downside is that when I wake up in middle of the night I can’t tell if the disorientation is typical grogginess or a low. During the day, I’m typically more aware and will feel something in the 50s and sometimes the 60s, but overnight is a problem. Before CGM I was routinely waking up in the 30s and 40s several times a month, but now CGM will usually wake me before I hit 50. Reducing carb (and therefore insulin) has also helped stave off some of the fiercer lows.

Hmmm… CGM sounds like a good idea. Only I hear it’s not covered by a lot of insurance companies. Another option I’ve read about on this site is trained dogs…

I agree that my lows are felt differently due to how quickly or slowly I drop. My lows caused by my lantus are harder to detect than my lows caused by my novolog or from activity. Also, I never realy developed an actual overall sensitivity to my lows; however, throughout the years I have noticed that my symptoms have had major shifts. After 2 years, I began to cry below 50 in addition to my normal shakes and cold sweats. After about ten years, at the age of 20, I dodn’t cry anymore, but now my face gets numb, starting with my tongue and my lips, causing me to make silly faces when trying to get the feeling back. If you listen to your body well enough, maybe you can discover some new or different symptoms that you never realized before.

I like how you think. Awareness is a big deal, for certain, and that does mean self-awareness.

Please don’t worry.

I hear you, Gerri… I will try my best to chill. :slight_smile:

I think the lowest I have gotten and was able to walk and test was 32. I’ve been unconscious several times but usually in the middle of the night and I come to with my husband standing over me and the remnants of a glucagen kit in his hands. I agree, I have different reactions based on how fast it drops. While I’m sleeping is the most dangerous and the CGM has helped a lot with this (although I hate to admit it but I will ignore its warning beeps…cause I FEEL FINE!!! ) duh
I’ve also gone through the entire list of warning signs, numbness in mouth and legs, sweats, tingles, weakness, headaches, slurred speech, tiredness and every time I figure out what to look for, it changes. Sometimes there is a sign it’s just very subtle.
I probably lost sensation around 8 years in but I really can’t remember. It was before glucometers. I’m trying to bring my levels up with the CGM so we’ll see if I can get it back!

A dog would be so much more fun than a cgm! But right now I just don’t have the time (and probably not the money). Every insurer has different policies for cgm, but the evidence is mounting and within a few years I think most will cover it with few questions. I know that in the time of one year mine went from ZERO coverage to coverage for anyone with hypo unawareness or an A1c >7. It’s definitely worth looking to see what yours will pay for, but even if they don’t now keep an eye out for it!

I have been in the low 20’s and still walking and talking. this was before my cgm not sure now as I keep my lows at bay now I never felt them till they were in the twenties. it was hard because no warning and bam I was out the next min. had lots of medical help with lows then but now I am doing great with the cgm to thank.

Sometimes I feel low around 70 sometimes I can’t feel it until I’m nearly 40. It really depends on what I’m doing at the time, and what it is that’s causing the low, in addition to how fast/slow I’m dropping.

The lowest I’ve been was 19. I was 12 years old, and I only felt a bit shaky (if asked, I’d have guessed I was about 65). I was awake, aware, and walking around. The next lowest I’ve been is about 32. Felt like death that time!

Isn’t it crazy how that happens? I guess that’s why we should have meters stapled to our bodies somewhere, lol!

My first unfelt low was when I traveled for the first time after being Dx 8 years ago. My endo said it was because I had traveled through time zones and my body didn’t know what to do… it was a rude awakening coming to on Las Vegas Blvd with a stranger stuffing chocolate down your throat.

My next bad one was on vacation… I passed out and I was so low that even with the Oj and Candy my hubby gave me he couldn’t get me to wake up…called the paramedics.

Since then I’ve just run high, too scared not to cause I’ll be low 40’s 30’s before I feel them… but that plays @%$& with my A1C #'s so I’m going on the CGM. Hopefully that will help me to stay a bit more level since I don’t feel my lows…

Hmmmm… actually I just remembered a 28 once.

Just a funny aside. My 6 year old son has gotten into asking my about my BG number after I test. Recently, he said “Mom what would happen if the number was 0?” I had to laugh before I replied that I’d be dead.

I am hypo-unaware and last year was probably when the worst of that hit for me. Jan will be my 27 year anniversary with T1. I also have a Dexcom to try and help but it is no guarantee - I have trouble hearing the alarms at night. I have been below 20 several times - one was actually in Jan and I felt weird, but not totally out of it. Sometimes I check my meter to find out that I am in the 30s with no symptoms. Other times, I feel horrible in the 50s. I started using a pump in June and in July, I woke up with EMTs over me - I had apparently been screaming & banging on the wall & my neighbors called 911. When the EMTs checked, I was 37. I am not sure why I passed out in the 30s that time but not other times.

My girls are grown and now when we’re all together we place bets!
Here’s a funny story, you know how sometimes a side effect to a low can be like being drunk (slurred speech, can’t walk straight, incoherent) Well once after going through a training with my 8 year old on how to react if Mommy ever gets “funny”, who to go to, what to do, what to tell people, I asked her to tell me what she should tell people when I have a reaction. She throws her shoulders back and in a very “I’m so proud I know the answer” moment says "I tell them my Mommy’s alcoholic!"
Just had to laugh.

My mother watches my 7 year old nephew that has Downs. I had made a cake and gave most of it to my mother when my brother was visiting. I was talking to her the next day & she asked how my BS was. My nephew got on the phone & he always has to ask what he hears so asked me how my BS was. I said it was good & asked how his was. He said not good so I asked him what it was. He said 4! If he only knew!

Nice! Thanks for the laugh!