How LOW have you gone?

30 is my lowest reading, I remember being in deep thought and confused.

I’m generally always confused when in deep thought, though that has nothing to do with diabetes…

8 Likes

The lowest BG reading I’ve had is 38. Took 2 Dex4 tabs and BG returned to normal range of 80’s. I was distracted, bolused for dinner and forgot to eat for about 1 hour. The symptoms occurred VERY quickly. I was slightly warm, then cold sweat and felt strange. I wasn’t sure if I could think very clearly. Fortunately, I verified with my husband and son who were nearby. For me, I think it’s safer to bolus and eat, or at least start to eat and bolus. No pre bolusing; I’m too easily distracted. Or more accurately, I can become so absorbed in something that I lose track of time.

Lowest conscious low has been 23. Lowest recorded unconscious low by a paramedic has been 12.

Wow

I can’t hit the ‘WOW’ factor with my low of forty-two. I remember that it hit extremely fast. I had been into the upper fortys a time or two but was never as rattled as I was by the 42 low.

Gary, you may not win the “How Low Can Your BG Go” prize, but I’m impressed with your low of 42. Glad you came out the other side OK and are still with us!

41 or 42. Shortly after diagnosis I was working out, knew I was pushing a little longer and was checking every 15 mins. and felt weird. Checked and was 41-42, shaking, sweating everywhere - more than my usual super sweat, and freaked out. Ate a ton of candy and went on a horrible roller coaster of blood sugars for hours. Thank goodness it was a Sunday. Thanks to Dexcom rarely go into the 50s now. Did the Enlites and also liked them but Dexcom has been better for exercise- except running, it doesn’t keep up.

BINGO, we have a winner :grinning:

:confetti_ball::tada::trophy:
And the biggest prize of all is that you lived to tell the tale!

The worst part of it was the fact it not only would have taken me away from my son but it would have taken my daughter away as well. I was in my first trimester of my second pregnancy. It was first thing in the morning and I have been known to sleep through my CGM. According to that I was under for at least 4 hours in a low. My husband couldn’t get a hold of me and came home to find me in a pool of sweat, but I was snoring but he couldn’t wake me up. Paramedics had to give me IV glucose because the glucagons weren’t working. My OB and endo both said the only reason I probably lived was because I was pregnant with my daughter. Scary thing is it happened a second time in the first trimester as well.

1 Like

you’re better to be lucky than rich :slight_smile:

it’s been a few years but the lowest in my adult life I have gone was 18 and that was after a couple hours of cycling. When i was a kid I remember just laying on my floor cause it was more comfortable than my bed for some reason and I remember checking and I believe it was at like 16? I don’t really remember I just remember it was in the teens. I remember at that time I couldn’t really move except tell my mom I needed sugar and I think i need a blood test.

My lowest by was 20 due to a defective pump, a failing kidney with , according to my Nephrologist, I had 1 hour to live. I am still psychologically affected.

I was 54. LOL

Twenty-eight (28) was my lowest recorded number. It was bizarre! I had just gotten back from a walk and was sitting at a kitchen table, with sweat streaming down my arms and off my elbows. Other than that I had experience of waking in the middle of a night with low and started ‘eating the fridge’ to no avail. I was terrified that I was going to die. It’s possible that I had an even lower number than the prior 28. That was back in my twenties and I had gotten heavily into fitness, during which I could go for weeks with persistent lows, e.g., 50 to 60. Oddly, those prolonged lows tended to elate me. Nowadays, I rarely hit a 45, and I still seem sensitive to my range, so even approaching 80 feels troubling.

I was 1.8 mmoll/l ( Ithink that is about 30 mg/dl). I was playing golf and did not miss a shot. I had a different blood meter then - now I have a Contour Next which is one of the most accurate with a MARD of 5 - so it might not have been correct.

Now I have CGM and so I can see any trouble like this coming from a long way off, alarms sounding and trend arrows pointing down.

After 40 years of blundering around in the dark uncomprhending why one day my BG is soaring and the next bumping along the bottom and trying to work out a pattern in all this. I have now entered out into the brilliant sunlight watching my BG respond and sometime not respond to my injections and carbs and generally giving it a good kicking to get it back in line.

I now know that all those plans I was given inject this eat that at this time is generally rendered nonsence given the reactions of my body. Now just looking at the readings on my smartwatch and the trend arrows I am now in control with alarms to tell me when high or low. HbA1c now 6 and hopefull down to 5. something in 3 months time. BG is now a computer game.

This tech is life transforming. I cannot understand why most type 1’s and almost all clinicians have no knowledge of it.

I have set up a very simple website bgonmywatch.com which gives you the basic ways you can get CGM - in the language of the moment take back control.

I give you all the ways I know with basic costings. Stop struggling and join me in the sunlight.

1 Like

The technology is a life saver for sure. I am so glad we are living in the times we have access to it. Although, the shame is for diabetics who can’t afford all the great products out there. Every diabetic should be ENTITLED to it all.

I have been 0.1 mmol/L or 1.8 mg/dL it did NOT feel great and I spent the next 30 hours feeling sick :face_vomiting:

I think maybe she meant she was not fully conscious, like you don’t have any memory or awareness during a hypo sometimes?

Yeah, if you crashed a car, you had a glycogen burst and it raised you back up to 70, but who knows how low it was earlier in the sequence of events.