How Many People Do You Know With Diabetes Offline?

I know one guy who is a little older than me with type 1 (and was diagnosed late like me!)… and I know a girl my age with type 1 (who got diagnosed when she was a kid). Unfortunately neither are great friends :frowning: And my grandma just got diagnosed with type 2. I live in the SF Bay Area.

Cool story!

Just makes you wonder how much environmental factors may play into the development of Type 1! Were all the kids born in that town?

I know a of couple type 1’s and a couple type 2’s.But I just know of them not that we talk everyday or see each other alot. I do see a type 1 everyday, my younger brother is D also, I see him everyday!

Kansas city, Kansas area

I never knew of anyone else in the high school, college, work place or neighborhood that had Type 1 Diabetes. The only person I knew was my father in laws, cousin’s, son’s, wife. We both attended a family picnic one year. I will never forget the feeling I had when she pulled out her glucose monitor, tested and took a injection. I WANTED TO ASK HER A MILLION QUESTIONS! But, I was afraid to ask her, I respected her privacy.

But the next year, she tested and WHIPPED out her a insulin pump. OMG! Nothing stopped me then! I politely asked her about the pump and that conversation went on for over an hour. It was very much like the conversations that we have here on Tu Diabetes, but only on a park bench. When I visit Tu Diabetes and read post and write posts it is a form of therapy. Making me realize that I am not the only one that deals with Diabetes.

Maybe next year when I attend the Picnic I will tell her about Tu Diabetes :slight_smile:

Hello from Sacto (Sacramento, CA)
I work in a building with a T1.
I know no other T1’s but probably 12 T2’s

I know about 5 other diabetics. Well one is no longer a diabetic since she just got a new pancreas transplant. One is my nurse and one is my mom and another is a close friend and another is my mom in-law. None is my age.

I know 5 people that have diabetes outside in “person”. One is my family member , 3 are co-workers and the other is a good family friend. My only problem is that no one is really around my age. ( I am not that young!) It hit them in their late 40’s or late 50’s. ( Type 2’s.) So, when I found out I had this…all I could think about was …I am not OLD. This is not the right thing to think about. Oh well! Life happens! I only really talk to my good family friend sometimes. It is mostly about the lack of baked goods. =)
I am sure there are many more here.I live in Inuvik, NT, Canada.

I know only one Type 1 outside of here. I know about three Type 2’s.

two that i talk to regularly, my aunt, and about 3-4 that i see occasionally that i met growing up.

I live in NE South Dakota. Population is small, but for an area of about 200 square miles, we have over 50 people in our diabetic group, and I have at least 14 p eople I know personally to call them on the phone that are diabetics. Most are type II, and 3 are type l. It’s interesting to me, that I only knew one or two people with diabetes before being diagnosed, and now know so many. It is also interesting to me, that my mil and I never had a close relationship until we were both diagnosed about the same time. Strange bedfellows.

I have two distant cousins who are both T1. No one else in my own family.

I previously worked with three police officers who are PWD, one T2, two T1.

I now have coworker who is a PWD, T2, & a coworker whose husband is.

I imagine that I know other PWD, but don’t know they are PWD. It doesn’t come up in conversation. There is a D support group at my local hospital, but I’ve never been there.

I live in a town of about 60,000 in north central South Carolina.

I have one diabetic friend. I have recently facebook-found some fellow diabetic campers from 24 years ago. I am hopeful in meeting some more diabetics via support groups especially some pumpers. I live in the St.Louis area.

I know one other type 1 and 3 of my grandparents were type 2… but I didn’t know they had diabetes until after they had died and I was diagnosed. I’m in Victoria, BC

Before my son was diagnosed 4 years ago, I knew of one man - he worked with my husband and had been diabetic for 40 some odd years - diagnosed at 18 months while his mom was in the hospital having a baby ! Since my son was diagnosed with Type I, I now know of 6 other youngsters who were recently diagnosed! with Type I !! ( One a boy who used to go to the same sitter , lives less than a mile from us, Another a little boy whose Mom is a friend of mine from church,) Please tell me why there is such a rise among this diagnosis ! ( I think 6 is way too many). I know of several Type 2 s but Type I was always the rarer disease.

I live in a large city ( Columbus, Ohio), and I have been to many diabetes support/activism groups: I go to my endo and internist regularly and meet other diabetics there: I have many church members who are type 2’s, so I have met too many diabetics to count!!!
I have met many type 1 kids in my job in the public schools, and have had uncles, aunts. with type 2 and LADA, and a 2nd cousins with type 1 and LADA, Again, I have met and know of too many diabetics to count …

God Bless,
Brunetta

I knew of 3 Type 1’s and alot of Type 2’s in my family. 3 of my 1st cousins and me were all Type 1’s. One has passed now but the rest of us are all still here. It WON’T win in me THAT’S FOR SURE!!! My oldest daughter is also a Type 1 and come January we will have 3 grandkids who so far havn’t had this affect their lives.

As for us cousins there’s about 40 1st cousins out there. So we’re doing good here!

I am the only one I know with type 1, lada they say… but mine was drug induced by a defective antibiotic! The drug company called me a incendental casulity. But I am not allowed to say which one based on the law suit.

I know about 35 diabetics offline - and soon to be more. I am now sharing the role of the President of the West Island Diabetes Association here in Montreal, Quebec - so hoping to get more D’s out to mingle! I’m also working with a dietician on the 18th Nov in one of the Walmart’s here - to educate folks on diabetes - looking forward to that! Of course, will also be handing out the Tudiabetes cards that Manny sent to me - those are getting distributed everywhere I go in my travels!

Anna from Montreal aka FatCatAnna at The Trials and Tribulations of a Diabetic

Wow Daniel! I’m speechless with what you’ve written above. How are you doing if I’m not being to bold in my question?