How Much Do You Spend on Your T1D?

I also have excellent coverage - 100% covered for pump supplies and strips (300/month), DME coverage also covers lancets, glucose tabs, and sharps containers. I oay $25 co-pay for 3 vials of Novolog. Co-pays are $30 for endo (4x year) and $20 for PCP (3-4 X year).

In Argentina, theres a Law that protect diabetic people, and I get 100% payed insulin, and post of stuff for glucometer and needles. (I think i never needed to spend more that 100 dollar per year!)

Here in Norway one has everything covered the minute you go past 1800 NOK per year , which is approx. 300$ . After that you just go to the pharmacy and pickup whatever you need.

This will mess it up. Annual expenses for strips, needles, insulin and CGM sensors–4200.00 canadian. (No pump)

I do feel very lucky… I get everything mail order so it costs me $10/month for each prescription. So that’s about $30 a month for humalog, strips, and my synthroid. My pump and all of my supplies are covered 100% under my insurance… it was actually cheaper for me to go on the pump since I had to buy one less type of insulin. My copays are $35/visit and I go every 3 months, so that’s an additional cost of about $200-$300 per year I am guessing, including appts other than my endo and the eye doc.

I have gone extended periods without insurance, however, which was very tough. Sometimes I’d have to chose between insulin and other bills. Never good in terms of trying to keep yourself in control.

In Canada, all my Dr. appointments, etc. are fully covered. Meter kits, pens and usually occasional drugs are given also. We pay $45. for an ambulance ride to the hospital but I haven’t needed that for many years.

My Hubby has Great group Insurance at his work. They cover all our drugs 100%. No co-pays. They did cover the Insulin pumps and supplies totally for many years also. I’m not sure now though since our Gov. pays for them and the supplies(except for the $600., I believe). So I feel Very Blessed to pay a monthly fee of Zero dollars. (Thank God–TW!)

Gee Terrie I live in Canada too… Ontario like you. Admittedly I am a Type 2. I too am thankful that the government pays for appointments but for me, that’s been about it. This year I don’t have a drug plan through work so I pay for everything myself. Meter kits and occasional drugs are sometimes provided by the manufacturer but not the government. I was told that if I added a pen to the drugs I am taking I would be required to pay for that too. I have never had a script for strips and that is probably for the best because I would just have to pay for the dispensing fee as well. I know there is a Trillium Plan but, because I work, I’ve been told that I need not apply. Insulin is sold without scripts as it is in the US so there must be others in the same boat. Is this difference because I’m Type 2 or am I missing something here?

Gee… that’s tough super_sally. How do you manage to keep your diabetes under control? Is it like that for everyone with diabetes in your country or have you somehow fallen through the cracks? Let’s pray that the current push for adequate diabetes care worldwide will be successful. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
Joanne

Where abouts are you Peetie? Do you pay for surgeries, your tests, or in-hospital treatments, vaccinations and so on Peetie? I do not. It’s paid by the Gov. Pumps and supplies are definitely covered. I went through the process with the pump Educator a few years ago. Sorry, the meter kits, pens and occasional drug samples are supplied by many Doctors and RD’s. I have been given these items occasionally from most Doctors that I have had, even recently. Maybe it depends on the Dr.

I do not know if it has to do with you being a Type 2. That certainly wouldn’t be fair. I know that you don’t pay for Lab tests, eye tests, etc. though right? Sorry about you not having a drug plan. May I ask why that is, if you are still working at the same job?

Sorry Terrie I’ve just been feeling completely overwhelmed since May. I’m a teacher and I still work for the same school board but, because both my mother and husband were seriously ill, and there was a recent crack-down on attendance, I decided to supply teach day-to-day this year. I’m lucky in that I am usually offered work every day. The appointments and lab tests are free but (with the exception of the eye-doctor) they are only available during the day and so they result in the loss of wages for one day. Copay is required for palliative care in this province and family participation is necessary. For my husband’s operations, he was required to have a caregiver with him not only to drive but to attend to him after the procedure. After the angioplasty, he was required to go on Plavix for 3 months so he had to put off the final surgery which was a hernia operation. Unbeknowst to us, his original surgery had been experimental and had failed so the doctor said that he would have to go to the Shouldice to have it repaired. We were told that OHIP would cover this because the original operation had failed. One week before the operation, we were told that we would be required to make a $190/day copay for three days because the clinic only has semi-private rooms. I realize that I will probably be able to claim some of this on taxes but gee tax time seems so far away. I’m glad to hear that the government is now paying for pumps etc. I know the pumps have brought freedom to so many.

:frowning: Be well Sally!

Wow! I do not blame you for feeling overwhelmed at all. I know that I wouldn’t do very well handling all of what you are doing. I looked after my Hubby through his accident and recovery which was Very difficult for me and I didn’t have to work a job away from home. That is certainly unfortunate about the change in your job status too and Insurance. Thank you for explaining.

My Hubby was in the Hospital for over 2 weeks. We didn’t pay anything and I did not have to participate in his care. I only washed his hair once because they had put goop in his hair for tests and he asked me to wash it out for him cuz he didn’t want to wait for the Nurse to do it. He was supposed to stay there another 6 weeks since he had a skin infection but he said, “No way”. .After he came home, a Nurse visited him everyday for about six weeks to change bandaids, check his pump that supplied medication for his pain or antibiotic…I forget. A Lady came for the first 6 weeks I think, to give him sponge baths and wash his hair. If he had had a disease instead of an accident, they would have looked after him for a longer period of time. Again, no charge. His Insurance paid for his semi-room. After the first 8 weeks, I took care of him for the next 8 months with the help of our Kids when they were’t at work or busy with Family, etc. Para-transpo took him to all of his appointments and back when he was able to be helped into a wheelchair.

An experimental surgery without you’s knowing and signing for it? Ouch!! That’s not right. I’m not sure if that $190. copay is legal. They first said that it was covered and it’s not your fault about the room situation. Knowing my Hubby, if it didn’t ring true, he would find out for sure that he had to pay it.

Obviously, I do not know how your before-school-situation is, but at our Hospitals a Person can go in for tests at the Lab starting at 6:30 am through til 5:00pm.(including lunch hour). You can go to any Clinic Lab also, of course. My Rheumy was the one who suggested that I get tested at the Lab at 6:30 am and then be at the Hospital the same day for my appointment anytime from 2-5pm, since the test results are finished and emailed to him by 1 or 2 o’clock. Same goes for my Endo.

All Diabetics get a free eye exam at least once a year. I used to go 4 times a year but now I go twice a year without payment since my eyes are Better than before plus there are many more Senior Citizens needing eye Drs., more People with eye problems including Diabetes, more People moving to Canada, Doctors retiring and moving to other countries. etc. You should be seeing an Ophthalmologist(for free btw) who specializes in eye diseases, if you are not already.

I have heard the term palliative care as for illnesses, chronic diseases and end of Life care but I’m not sure if that is in a Hospital or a Special and/or private facility. If it is in the latter, then I can understand a charge. See, I am learning new things from you. I hadn’t heard of a Shouldice Hospital before. So indeed, you would know the rules there, Better than I.

I hope that YOU and yours will come out of this sad situation feeling Well. Prayers and Good thoughts are sent your way.

Sorry that I babbled so long. Pardon any errors.

I feel very fortunate. I pay $10 for 200 strips, and $37.50 for 3 vials of novolog. For the endo it costs $25.00 per visit. my pimp is free as is all the reservoirs and quick sets.

:frowning:

Hi Terrie,

I just saw that there is a T1 Canadian on here who pays $4,200 a month for supplies…no pump.

I just came from my annual foot doctor appointment. He is fabulous and it is paid by the government.

I too was shocked that copays were required in public hospitals but they are. :frowning:

The Shouldice is the best hopital in the World for hernia surgery.

They are not the ones who led us astray.

I hope your husband has fully recovered. That must have been overwhelming for you too. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers. Everything is being resolved one by one.

Joanne

Diabetes Supplies are Too Damn High. Maybe we could recruit Jimmy to help us out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0

Just to reply to Peetie. I was the one who listed the 4200.00 down for diabetic supplies. I didn’t realize until much later on that the individual wanted it for monthly amount. The amount I listed was annual.

I have insurance.

My copays for strips and syringes last year totalled $890. Copays for insulin were $416.

So far this year the strips and syringes were $260. The copays for insulin this year through June 30 were 208.

I have to buy more strips - 400 more, and syringes, 180 more, than insurance provides.
So, monthly last year was $108. About the same this year.

Actually the total of medical including diabetic and other pills the doctor feels I should be on is 5800.00. Get about 400.00 back from Blue Cross for diabetic supplies No insurance company seems to be interested incovering anything for diabetic materials. Provincial drug plan won’t reduce it either. Save a bit by paying cash not on the drug plan for strips (11.00/100. ) Above figures are yearly not monthly. Diabetic materials include sensors for CGM, needles, BG strips, insulin bottles-2 different types.

None actually. I’m really lucky in the fact that my dad is an Emergency Room MD so we have great health coverage, and even though the deductible is high, we get a prescription card that pays for anything insurance doesn’t cover.