How much insulin do you use in a day

WOW! 1 unit for every 3 grams of carb?! That’s the highest ratio I’ve ever heard of.

I was taking a lot of insulin before 5-6 shots a day. Like Rebecca said, its not just the carbs, its my bodys sensitivity to insulin. I became really resistant after I had my second daughter 13 months ago. ( I have been a diabetic for 10 years) My DE said that my IC ratio will change after I have been on the pod for a while. (only on it for a week)

The responses I have read are absolutely correct. You should not feel bad if you are taking a high dose of insulin each day, nor should anyone be smug if their insulin intake is low. Everyone is different, and carbs, exercise, age, and most importantly sensitivity to insulin are all factors. My mother-in-law always fretted because her insulin requirements were over twice as high as mine, although she had been diabetic only a few years while I had been handling diabetes for over three decades. I could not convince her that her diabetes was not “worse” than mine; we just had different sensitivities. I currently average about 19 - 22 units per day except on the days I change a Pod. Then I average about 24 - 26 units. If the sugars are good, then life is good! That’s all that is important.

My daughter, who is 11 and weighs 72 pounds, takes about 30 units a day of Humalog and 5 units of Lantus. Hoping that going on the pod next week will get better control of highs/lows and constant carb/sensitivity adjustments. She is obviously coming out of her honeymoon period as she used to only take .5 - 2 units per meal when first diagnosed. She has a lot of insulin resistance in the morning and takes on average 16 units ( carb ratio 1:4) and is very sensitive at night, only needing about 2 units ( dinner ratio 1:30). She generally eats about 60 carbs per meal, but sometimes as much as around 80 for pasta nights. I’m sure a teenage boy eats way more than that as I know my son couldn’t survive on 60/meal :slight_smile:

hey olivia im sure that you will be able to get your daughter in better control with the omni pod i know it sure helped us alot.

I use around 65 to 70 units per day. I get about 2 1/2 days per pod.
I/C varies from 1:5 to 1:6
Correction factor varies from 20 to 25
Basal rates go from .8 to 1.25

Jeff and Tifany – where do you place your pod? My daily insulin requirements went down about 30% when I stopped using my stomach all the time and switched to my arms.

Janet

I have seen a reduction this past week and I have only used my arms for placement. Average daily usage of 75