How much training and support did you get when first starting?

Jen

I feel like I’ve been “set free” too! Are you no longer with the doctor due to that experience or for a different reason?

I never liked them a whole lot, and that was the “last straw”!

I started on the Omnipod July., 2010. I’d say the first two weeks, my trainer was attentive. I would send BG readings every three to six days and she would respond with “stay on course” or recommend a minor adjustment. At about 5 weeks into using the pod I began producing consistent high BG readings so I contacted my trainer who responded, “You are probably getting sick or under stress, no need to make changes now.” Had an appointment with my doctor during week six and she agreed adjustments needed to be made, but since I was still working with a trainer did not interject. Contacted the trainer again at week 7, providing 2 more weeks of BG readings and shared my doctor’s comments with her. Received the same response, “You must be fighting something or under stress.” I gave up and have not contacted her since. I made some adjustments on my own but was not confident in doing so (first time pumper). I’ve purchased the book Pumping Insulin, which is a great resource, but truly wished I received better training.

Thanks for the reply and I’m sorry to hear of your experience. Do you feel you are doing well with the Pumping Insulin book? I think I’m going to just switch clinics completely. Not feeling especially great about either the CDE or doctor at the moment. It’s been 2 months and no solid feedback on my basal rates, only that my CGM results on on the doctor’s desk for review (for at least 1 to 2 weeks). I know I won’t hear anything from him until my 6 mo appt coming up in 2 weeks but I think I’m cancelling that. They also didn’t seem completely with it when getting my pump authorized. I’m grateful for the help they have given me but don’t like the feeling of being left somewhat high and dry with this pump!

I certainly understand pumping better after reading the book, but don’t have the confidence to fine tune as much as I’d like to. I must admit I need to spend more time analyzing my BG results than I do. Daily life happens (job, family etc.) and I feel managing diabetes properly takes a lot of focus and time.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a full 3-month A1C result since I started on the pump. My September A1C only included six weeks of pumping, which showed an improvement but I hadn’t met my goal. In December, the blood work was lost so I still don’t have a comparison of pre-pump vs pumping. I just recently went to the lab again but have not received those results yet.

I’m fortunate to have a responsive doctor. I get written results from office visits/labs one month after my visit, but I can obtain results by phone a week after. I visit the endo every three months. Good luck with finding a clinic that works well for you.

How do you like your CGM? I was very reluctant to go on the pump but decided to do so when I wasn’t getting the results I wanted from managing with MDIs. My doctor would love for me to have a CGM. Insurance Company, not so much. Not sure I want something else beeping at me. Are you finding it valuable?

I hear you on not feeling confident. I honestly believe if you had better skills that it wouldn’t feel so intimidating or time consuming to work with your results (I’m not faulting you for your relative lack of skills!). I really feel that since I have this tool for great flexibility and control that I really need to effectively know how to manage myself well.

I don’t have a CGM, at least permanently. I’ve had 2 one week trials with it. They lend them out at the hospital where I currently go. I was having so many problems with lows before the pump, they suggested that I try one and after going on the pump, my readings were erratic enough that the CGM was recommended again. I loved the peace of mind it gave me but I’m like you, I don’t know how I would feel about having 2 things stuck on me! Don’t think I could get one now with the pump as most of my lows have disappeared since starting and that would have been my main argument to get one. We sound alike in our reluctance to go on a pump. I knew all the benefits it could provide but it just seemed like a big step and potential for bigger problems when things go wrong.

Are you familiar with Gary Scheiner’s book, Think Like A Pancreas? He runs a diabetes consulting service out of the Philadelphia area. You could try the Type 1 University online classes for 29.95 a lesson or they have a 3 mo pump optimization program for 299.00 where they teach you the finer points of pumping and how to set your basal and bolus amts properly. Is your pump trainer the CDE who works with your endo?

I’ll have to check out the book you suggested, Think like a Pancreas? and the Type 1 University, both are certainly worth investigating. My Pump trainer was supplied by Insulet. I’ve never met the CDE who works with my endo, assuming they have one. It’s a good practive, complete with pediatric endos as well, so I imagine they do. I’ll definitely check into it on my next visit, which is in a few weeks. Thanks.

I’ve learned more here than with my education session, hands down! Experience is everything and reading about others experience is priceless. Like anything new, it takes time and the willingness to learn. Understanding that not everything is your fault helps too.