How Often Do You Exercise?

I started Chi Running about five years ago. I even paid for a course. I don't think it's made me faster, but I credit it with keeping me injury free.

Whatever works, I say. One trap it's easy to fall into with any running 'method' is to think too much about your form. That's when you start lurching down the trail like a cross between a zombie and the Frankenstein monster. I try to do what comes naturally and use the hints from the 'method' as gente reminders.

I've done a few rotations... From every other day, to every day... I did aerobics with weights every other day for a while, and then aerobics with weights and walking every other day, and speed walking on the off days... Then I've done aerobics with weights, and then walking 3 x a day for 20 minutes each... So I guess I'm trying to find some ideas to find my groove of things... Certainly I think variety is going to be important... and I might try some beginner pilates in there, I dunno... I think I kinda like the 3 days on, 1 day off idea... Hmmm... Though I tried having a day off today, and I just felt like exercising, and went ahead and did it anyway. lol I might have to consider some more serious rotations once I get a job. It's encouraging to read all the things people do... Then I don't feel so much like it's a sentence, but something that feels good... and trust me, as a child with PCOS that makes you gain weight no matter what you eat, your parents sentence you to evil, bad diets and diet programs, and you have bad school PE experiences... I have some bad associations with both. lol But I'm fixing it... a little at a time. :D Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming.

I try to exercise everyday and my favorite is jogging for about an hour or about 4 miles. Because I have exercise induced asthma and it's winter, jogging out-of-doors is out, unless I want to feel like every breath I'm taking comes with its own set of knives. Yoga is also a favorite and I enjoy doing a shoulderstand into the plow. When I was going to the gym, I would supplement the treadmill running with 20 minutes of resistance training 2-3x/week.

A few years ago, I tried an eliptical machine for the first time. I set it for an hour but didn't realize that wasn't the only thing I needed to set. I didn't reset the resistance on the machine and it was way too high for me! After 10 minutes, I could feel my muscles tightening up, so I quit. Next day, I could barely walk down the stairs from my apartment, I was so sore! That's when I knew I had done too much.

Another time I knew I had over done it was a long time ago. It was summer, 90 degrees and 90% humidity. I went for a run for an hour, because my bgs were up around 200 and this was preinsulin. After 45 minutes, I started feeling odd, so I made my way home. This will tell you how sensitive I am to insulin and how well my body responds to exercise: In that 45 minutes, my bgs dropped to 55! I remember pouring a glass of water for myself and adding a sugar packet to it to get sugar into myself quickly. I continued to feel "off" for the rest of the day, though. So, when's enough enough? If you'r'e not taking any insulin and you're dropping into the 50s, I'd say that's a good indication that you went a little overboard!

I'm gonna do a little review of a xbox360 game for Kinect called YourShapeFitness. If anyone here has already tried it, I would love to hear about it!!!!! I can't open my presents until Christmas, so you'll have to wait to hear from me.

:-)

Fianally some video games that don't make you fat.

:-)

30 mins walking a day if I can. Although its a little easier for me as I work from home. But I find it really helps, I need less Insulin with this routine, I can see and feel the difference in my body when I have a lazy week! But of regular exercise help you process insulin so much better..... I believe.

I have a Wii, but I'm too poor to get things like WiiFitness, with all the cool stuff right now... they have a rowing game, I think... it'd be nice to try, among the other personal trailer games. I have Personal Trainer Walking for Nintendo DSLite, which is kinda fun... You have a little pedometer, and it keeps track of your steps, and you can play games with that... It's kinda fun.

fun is where it is at. find an activity you like or looks like fun and you're more likely to stay with it and do it. there is no best exercise just one that works for you and in the middle of february you want to find somethign that motivates you get out of your nice warm bed. also a training partner is a big help someone that will hold you accountable. many a sunday morning I'd prefer to sleep in but know i have friends waiting out there in the cold for me to start running (and they have cell phones to ruin my sleeping in if I try to opt out)

The Garmin is a great machine, but I've had to stop myself from looking at it during runs because I found that I was fixating too much on it! It did confirm that I have absolutely no sense of pace whatsoever. I'm hoping to work on that more in the spring. For the winter, it's all I can do just to get myself out the door...

LMAO Terry, that's perfect. It pretty much describes my practice attempt. I had all of the 'form focusses' running through my head and ended up feeling (and I'm sure looking) pretty weird. For that run I just gave it up and went back to running the old way. Once I got the leveled pelvis and opened my stride to the rear, though, most of the rest came naturally. I don't have the patience to work on the rest of the form factors but I'm sure that they do work what I've seen so far.

Damn, they only have "Chi Walking", not "Chi Running" at the library! I pretty much try to stand up straight, keep my eyes out, hands low and am being mindful of taking smaller steps, with quick turnover and being light on my feet. I suspect being light will help w/ it being icy out?

I agree about staring at the Garmin being a challenge. I'd like to get a hat or glasses for a HUD arrangement? I don't cycle through the different screens and just use my 3 faves, time, distance and AVG speed.

One other thing I discovered, just this AM is that the MM UltraMini meter precisely fits into the water bottle clips on my Ampipod belt. I have been trying to avoid the huge butt pack but the little Amphipod bags won't hold that meter unless I take it out of the case but today I said "hey, that's about the same size" and it clipped right in w/ a velcro thing for additional security?

Uh, never. Unless you count walking through a parking lot and bending my elbows while eating.

I walk 5 times a week for about 1 hour +15 mins... This is usually after dinner to help reduce my spike. I would like to work out more and have been thinking of joining a gym in the new year but I just don't want to lose any more weight. I'm currently 155lbs at 6'.

Don't some people lift weights to gain weight and muscle mass? I dunno...

Absolutely. Lifting weights is the only way for me personally to maintain anything above 160 lbs, but it really depends on the type of weight program you are on and, of course, the type of diet you can maintain. Resistance training, in general though, is what builds muscle mass. I've seen people do some amazing things with elastics, resistance running, and plyometrics though.

Maybe Mr. Curwin js just referring to working out in a gym and gym equipment in general? My impression is that a lot of the gym equipment and trainers focus on people who are trying to lose weight.

Hey Queen they have a fitness game called (EA Sports Active 2) for the Wii that is great the cost is marked down to 59.99 and has everything you need . Its a lot of fun working out . Check it out on YOU TUBE

Yes… there’s a few ones I want! Including a rowing one… that I’m not sure which one it is… O.o

If you walking then everyday. Rather than setting a time or distance I make it simple - if where I am going is more than a six mile round trip or I am getting a LOT of stuff (more than will fit in my backpack) I walk rather than drive. It’s not unusual for me to leave my apartment at ten in the morning and get back at five in the evening in order to go to three stores. I think the longest I’ve gone in a day was eleven miles. I have one of those builds where if I do a lot of weight or resistance training I get a barrel chest and start looking fat even though I’m not. Hopefully in the next few months I’ll get more and more energy and be able to start running again.

I just found this group this morning, and I'm really impressed. I'm not exercising as much as most of you, and it is a good place to get inspiration. I do dance exercise at least two times a week in the form of Hip-Hop or Zumba, and both can be a really intense workout if you are keeping up with the instructor. I also do a ballet class once a week, that is plenty of exercise for me, especially anything in the middle of the floor, because I'm 57yo and still recovering from myopathy from Cushing's syndrome. I keep on coming across the term "perceived effort" in the diabetic books that I've read, so I'm trying to remember that when I get discouraged. I had been very good about lifting weights at the health club, but have fallen off the wagon as far as my regularity. This is a New Year...My husband has been a very good gym buddy. I made sure we joined a gym that is only a few blocks away so we have no excuses. It's just finding the time...I am fairly active - I have two flights of stairs to the basement and take care of my grandson, which is very physical, but as my body gets used to new levels of fitness, I know I have to do more, with more variety.

I'm LADA and my fasting bg had been really normal up until the stress of Christmas. I suspect that I cannot skip two days or have low activity days from this point forward. (I was pounding the mall with a heavy purse and bags and did something painful to my neck and shoulder girdle the other day and had a couple of recovery days.)

I have to do weights, today...I don't mind them, but my problem is allowing myself time to go to the gym, shower, etc.

Three to four times a week. 30 mins

Work is my work out. Pushing 500lbs-13,000lbs ULDs(cans) of freight as well as helping break those cans down. Lifting freight at 25-175 lbs, Climbing to unhook cargo nets. For 51/2 to 6 hours a night 5-6 days a week plus walking 1 1/2 miles at least a night between car and time clock. Plan on adding in 5 miles on the bike this spring. Its funny I have put in 40 of the 60 lbs I had lost before DX but still fit in jeans 5 inches smaller. Was 36 (tight) to 31 loose fit.