How the load has lightened - three years later

This photo popped up in my Timehop - I remember how liberating having this technology was three years ago. This was the first time we had remote access to Caleb’s dexcom data - before dexcom share was available. Caleb carried all this gear plus his phone. Now he carries none of that - just his phone.

I also happened upon the baby monitor this weekend as I was cleaning out the linen closet. Seems like forever ago when I used it to hear Caleb’s dexcom alerts at night from the other side of the house. CGM technology has continued to advance and gosh golly do I appreciate it!

IMG_5416

7 Likes

lol - We used a baby monitor (for the Dexcom) also !!!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep… G5 + Loop & Riley has been a true revolution. I have never had and felt this much freedom in my life as I have now. Whatever happens I know that “somebody else” will clean up the mess.

1 Like

I’m a little surprised at how easily I’ve gotten used to these advances. Weeks pass and I realize I haven’t given diabetes, basal rates, carbs ratios, even clarity reports much thought. Something I used to review, analyze and adjust daily. Not bolting upright at night worried about what may have developed while we slept - that’s pretty fantastic. Loop, particularly dynamic carb absorption, has been wonderful.

1 Like

I missed that whole NightScout (NS) remote monitoring era since I am an adult with no one watching my blood glucose values. Looking back as a current user of Loop, I see that remote monitoring NS phenomena as a instrumental in knitting together a whole community on social media with benefits that persist today. I was late to the game and I’m still trying to keep up with some of the lingo the NS veterans, almost always parents of young T1Ds, use in their Facebook posts.

The NS remote monitoring movement quickly morphed into an artificial pancreas movement that benefits me every day. The energy, talent, and compassion of the young parents still amazes me!

I think the thing that really drew me into their movement was their willingness and ability to do the unconventional. I had spent decades waiting for the traditional researchers, doctors, biotech companies and regulators to produce tools I could use. From my perspective, this speed of evolution was painfully slow. The movement’s rallying cry of “we are not waiting” really resonated with me. And their selfless pay-it-forward aesthetic inspires me!

2 Likes