How to deal with people who think they know it all about diabetes

@DrBB Lol, that sounds like a brilliant idea!!!

Would those have been MG’s / Triumphs, or Jag’s / Aston Martin’s?

Psychiatry is a crime against humanity.

To use an old worn out one, hell will freeze over before they ever take responsibility for what they do.

Your buddy was an adult when he did the adderal.

Subtract Aston Martins, but add Morgan and the occasional TVR yup. But our primary specialty was Austin Healey. The owner had bought out the factory when they folded, way back when, and had enough NOS to build, I dunno, maybe a dozen AH 3000’s from the ground up. Also dealt in 100-4s, 100-6s, the Bugeye Sprite, but the 3000 was the main one. Jaguars were the biggest PITA because the designers were always tinkering with 'em, so somebody wanted a tachometer or a f’rcripesake radiator hose you had ask 'em what month their car was made. Mail-order business, and it was easy to make mistakes with those damn Jags, leading to the occasional trip down to the muffler section.

How’s that for thread drift?

1 Like

I am going to quit cause I am a pro anti psychiatry activist and always win.

The Q&A for people who think they know it all diabetes still good idea though.

What happens when you take (supplement or advice goes here) ?

How did you know do you have a sugar meter ?

I am not sure right now. This time I will keep thinking about it for wile.

Back them into corner with questions, lol have to pre plan it a little.

This gets old! It’s especially true in society now when everyone has an opinion about things that they sometimes know very little to almost nothing about which is often the case with diabetes management and advice to those who live with managing it daily.

My best advice is to ignore it and recognize it for what it is - most often it is just someone who knows you deal with something they think is challenging and they are trying to help with often a bit of judgement built into their conveyance of thoughts shared. Thank them for passing it on and note that everyone manages things differently and in the end, if you are managing your numbers well, you can choose to eat or drink anything you want (just like them) anytime you want… and then move on…

I used to let that stuff get under my skin all the time but in the end the only one who really suffers mental anguish from it is you… not anyone else.

After a while you’ll let comments like that slide off like water off a ducks back! Keep your chin up

4 Likes

Why would a dr think stress would lower blood glucose during surgery? Isn’t the liver producing cortisol and glucagon (to get your body ready to fight or flight) a really common thing? Then if you aren’t actually running for your life… hyperglycemia. That’s illogical to reduce insulin for surgeries.

About a dozen years or so ago I ended up in ICU for a week due to ecoli somehow getting into my blood stream. The hospital allowed me to administer my own insulin but it had to be approved by my primary care physician (not endo) and I had to sign a hospital release that I assumed all responsibility for handling my own insulin requirements. They also allowed me to stipulate what I could eat from their daily menu and tailored my meals the best they could.

I always tell them that my way to deal with diabetes is to by punching myself in the stomach at least 22 times each day as hard as I can. Yeah wait until you see their faces.

3 Likes

@laceyma I have to reduce insulin for surgeries. I really drop fast during surgery.

I’ll make a comment or two. Many doctors believe that all diabetics are liars, though I don’t know why. Yes you are right, each takes care of it their own way. You should tell people that when diabetics stop caring about taking care of themselves they soon die, and since you are still here what the heck are they talking about. I’ve passed out in the street and most people ignored me, usually uniformed people come to my aid. No regular looking person stranger ever came to my aid, unless they called the police out of confusion. When the fact that I’m diabetic comes out well I’ve always been taken care of, and then get a very real speech from a doctor about what I’m going to do so this doesn’t happen again. I still get low sugars, but not as much as I once did when I was younger and broke as a joke with no one around to help me. One time a doctor called me a liar and I soon walked out of her office after I told her she was full of it. I don’t like getting mad at people and showing it, because my heart starts to beat fast before I do and I can’t concentrate or think straight, but yeah I can go off on people sometimes. People have known I am diabetic and most times don’t say anything about it, except that if I’m acting funny I should eat something to feel better. Outside of my immediate family, and of course doctors, people have never really told me what I should or shouldn’t be doing.

I will generally agree that stress will raise my bg BUT all sorts of crazy hypos have also occurred to me under stressful situations. I have had surgery both local and general anaesthetic and I don’t hold it against the docs if they prefer that I not go low during the surgery.

I have the added personal issue is that any stress leading to adrenaline makes me FEEL like I’m hypo even though I may or may not be. Then I get all worried about why I feel hypo even though I’m not and it turns into kind of a “roofie circle” if I try to correct the hypo that isn’t there.

3 Likes

How did you deal with E.Coli? I had food poisoning yesterday and it was crippling. Luckily, it was gone today, but I don’t know how I would be able to survive more than one day of that. I longed for death, lol.

I ended up in ECU for 1 week and then another 2 weeks of tests to figure out how it got into my blood and they were never able to figure it out. Fortunately I survived and it has never re-appeared. I was allowed to manage my own insulin in the hospital by giving the hospital a release of liability and permission from my primary care physician.

1 Like

Everyone knows that I
am a type 1 diabetic. No one questions me. Well I have had couple of doctors try to tell me that my A1c was too low, but I just tell them that I was diagnosed in 1959 and have no diabetic complications.

I have a couple of friends who have diabetes. I never say word to them about how they handle their diabetes, but I would if they asked and if I thought it would help them. So far they are doing fine, and we have much different ways of eating. I will explain that the low carb diet proved disastrous for me though.

2 Likes