How to deal with unwanted, un informed advice?

LOL!

The problem is that most peoples “Diabetes education” come from the “media”!!

People in general think that because you eat “sweets”, “junk food”, or that you are “overweight”, THAT is the WHOLE reason you have Diabetes!! NO matter what “type” you have! (Even though NONE of that has ANYTHING to do with ANY type of Diabetes. Period!) As well as the “general” public doesn’t undterstand the different “types” of Diabetes!! In the “general” public’s mind, ALL Diabetes is the same!!!

If the “media” would get thier heads out of their a$$es, and do just a little bit of research (or pay attention to the TRUTH, or quit worrying about RATINGS), they’d learn [know/quit spreading LIES] that NOTHING (that we know of ,YET) actually “causes” ANY type of Diabetes. They also wouldn’t “round” ALL types of Diabetes into one big bunch!!

They’d learn that, DAYUM, this isn’t 1952 anymore and LOTS has been learned since then, and that Diabetics [of any “type”] can eat ANYTHING, as long as it’s in moderation! (Insulin dependant, or not!!) As well as, IF, they knew anything about Diabetes, that there is a difference between what a NON-insulin dependant Diabetic can eat, and insulin dependant diabetic can eat! (Us insulin takers have MUCH more lee-way (dunno how you spell that one!) than those who do not take insulin! [YaY, insulin! LOL]

Education is the KEY!!! PROPER education, that is!!!

Unfortunately, SO many are not [properly] educated! That includes Docs and Nurses!!! There are actually Docs and Nurses, TODAY, that go on the principals of “yester-years”. I personally believe that ALL medical professionals should be required, by law, to take “update/refresher” courses throughout their careers!

I’m amazed at how many times I’ve heard or read that somebody’s doc told them that an average BG of 200 is “fine”!! WTF??? NEVER is that “fine”!! EVER! An occasional reading of 200 is fine. But not an average!!! GAH!!

Now, what to tell the “food police”. Um. Well, I educate them! If they listen, fine. If not. Ain’t MY problem! One day, they’ll most likely become Diabetic as well, OR they’ll at least have a family member who does!! One “type”, or another!! THEN, they’ll come running to ME to “get the scoop” on how things should be done!

I just ran across this last night. I wanted a beer with my supper. I was told that “light” beer would be “best” for me. I just looked at them and said, I have insulin!!! I can drink what EVER kind of beer I WANT to drink, as long as I take the right amount of insulin!! huge grin

Ha, Ha!! THOSE are my FAVORITES!!! I AM overwieght, and THEY being overweight themselves, trying to tell ME how I SHOULD eat, is just hysterical to me!!!

Especially those who pile all the “crap” in!!! AllI I think is, YOU, who eat ALL that CRAP, want to tell ME, that I “shouldn’t” be eating this cookie!!

Um.

WTF EVER???
majorly confused look upon my face

I can totally relate! I’ve had familiy members lecture me on how I “shouldn’t be injecting so much insulin.” They think it’s a harmful thing to eat tand take insulin. They dont understand that as a diabetic I’m SUPPOSED to eat and take insulin. I’ve tried to explain time and time again that if i eat a snickers bar and take insulin to cover it…it’s OK. The only draw back is the extra pounds that I’ll eventually gain from eating it. They actually think that insulin does me harm when in reality it keeps me alive.
I’ve tried many times to explain to my family that a baked potato needs about the same insulin coverage as a brownie but it’s a lost cause because they have their opinions set in their minds already.I’ve just learned to ignore them and stay out of their diabetes discussions.

people look at you like you’re the cat on shrek… ohhhh he can’t eat cake cause he’s allergic to sugar… or worse when peple say diabetis instead of diabetes. grrrr!

Great post!!! My father is type 2 and you would think he would be one not to lecture…
Boy was I wrong!!!
I also have a friend who is type 2 and she lost 60 pound and no longer needs pills but, she was telling me that maybe if I lost weight I would not need insulin anymore. I told my doctor that story and he laughed. He said you do not even have 20 pounds to lose.
So I politely tell them that my type of diabetes is different than theirs and I move on if they persist then I kindly remind them that I do not call them doctor. If I ask for their advice that would be different!!!

Others have said “I would offer you some but…” that has become my favorite. My response is usually don’t be afraid to offer and I won’t be afraid to say no…