How to keep transmitter site dry?

Several people have mentioned trying to keep the transmitter and sensor site dry when showering and feeling that it does improve performance.

I've had several times that I felt that a long shower caused the sensor to start performing poorly without much recovery. One reason I like arm sites better than my stomach is that it's easier to keep them somewhat dry. After a long shower on Monday, the sensor never recovered and I pulled it out last night. It really was only a good sensor for a few days and then mediocre.

So right now I've used two sensors. One failed completely and the second one was mediocre. However, both of them had days when they were fabulous, so I'm still optimistic.

But back to the question. How do you keep you site dry? How do you cover it? I've occasionally put plastic wrap on top of it with tape on the top only. (The time I taped all around it, some water leaked in and I had a swimming pool in there.

I have had the same issue. Here's what I do at shower time (and I wear mine on my stomach). First off, I use IV prep on the sensor pad when I stick it on, and then I cut a hole in a patch of Tegaderm and that helps keep the sensor on at all times.

Shower days I will fold a paper towel up so that it's in a square (usually folded 4 times is enough to cover the Tegaderm patch) and then I'll use medical tape around the outside of it. That will usually last long enough for me to enjoy a hot shower and hair wash (I have long hair). I try to avoid soaking said paper towel (it's tricky but doable :D), and normally I can get done before A. the tape starts failing and B. the sensor site gets too moist.

I've found with this my sensors have been lasting a good 12 days with spot on readings during and after the shower.

I think I’d just drench the paper towels, but thanks for your reply. Maybe it would help to put paper towels on it before I put Glad Wrap and tape. I’ll give that a try.

I have had problems (seldom) with water getting between the transmitter and the sensor causing bad readings or "sensor failure". But, simply removing the transmitter from the sensor, cleaning it with an alcohol pad, dabbing any water out of the sensor with an alcohol pad, waiting for both to dry and reinstalling the transmitter seems to fix it. sometimes, if it gets real confused, I have to stop and restart the sensor (and wait the two hours). I spend a half hour or more almost every night in the hot tub, with the sensor, transmitter and my omnipod under water. it all works fine except for the occasional issue with getting water between the sensor and transmitter. I put down Skin-Tac before applying the sensor. I have found that using tagaderm or other covers causes the tape to fail faster, probably because of not allowing it to dry out fully. Now the reciever, that is another matter. It doesn't play well with water.

I have just migrated to the G4 this week, so all of this is about the Seven. I am going to try the G4 in the hot tub for the first time tonight. Wish me luck..

I have not had any issues with the G4 sensor in the shower, but do just avoid spraying it with lots of water as it causes the adhesive to give up if it gets too wet every day.