How to manage if in an emergency situation?

Depends on the person but mine were pretty close. I took my units per hour for basal and used that as a starting point. But I went from MDI to pump.

For Lantus, as a starting point to go the other way, take your avg hourly basal amount and multiply by 20 (rough guess on Lantus hours of duration). For example 0.5 units per hour basal would equate to roughly 10 units of Lantus (0.5 x 20 hours = 10 units).

This is highly variable for individual and for Lantus duration, so you’d definitely want to tinker with it. People will say to reduce by 10-20% to start with, for safety. That’s a good idea.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why it’s not being well received.

3 Likes

That is nifty. I recall you mentioning this before but until you had said this, it seriously would never have occured to me. It is funny the stuff which is obvious when pointed out but without it being pointed out - would just not be considered as an option.

Yup - that is realistic. Excellent point.

1 Like

Since I have gastroparesis, I wind up digesting my food all day long, which is why I have to rely on Lantus to cover a lot of delayed metabolism.

This is a good point! I don’t use syringes but have a few bags on hand in case I ever wanted to mini-dose glucagon. I think I’ll add a couple to my earthquake kit (though I dont’ think they’ll work with my Animas cartridges, but hopefully I’ll be using a different pump soon!!). They hardly take up any room.

1 Like