How you know if you're insulin resistant?

Thank you so much. That was very helpful.
Amy:)

ps more exersize - less carbs

do you have ot have all the symptoms? My bp is fine is why I ask. Most everything else on the list I have. But I don’t have to give myself 30 units a meal. I used to use 2 or 3. Now its 5 0r 6. With night time insulin at 16.
Amy:)

i take anywhere from 8-15 units of fast acting when eat, depending on how many carbs i eat. i take 34 units of lantus daily. your insulin amounts sound small compared to what i take. i suggested earlier that maybe you are just coming off your honeymoon period since you were recently diagnosed. my doctors had to continuously raise mine when i was diagnosed until it finally leveled out. i get the first 5 symptoms on the list from time to time but i think everyone may. they are relatively general and everyone is different. i think if you have any doubts the best thing would to be tested?? better safe than sorry!!

Cheri ,

Probably " of topic " : what I like to post, after reading your response is a discussion on " reframing diabetes " , so bear with me . Hopefully it is useful . We need to sell the idea that it is NOT : " diabetes is a lifestyle disease and people who have it are responsible for getting it " .We need the help of all people living with diabetes to let the general public understand …that it is NOT quoting you now : " we got fat so we got diabetes ". Regardless there is a need to regular exercise …may avoid other diseases as well .
I met slim people with diabetes back in the early eighties , what did I know about slim people with diabetes then, well I was one of them …even then I suggested for this slim guy to start using insulin ; he declined : outcome was not pretty .Diabetes in my family since I can recall in 1945 .
Not all obese folks will get diabetes.

That would be great, Nel - a “reframing diabetes” discussion - I’ll look to see if you’ve started it.

You’re absolutely right - regardless of how or why you got/have diabetes - ya gotta take care of it!!

Regards,
Cheri

it does state in the wikipedia site that it can be caused by heritity. there is no doubt that there are skinny type 2 diabetics. i never said anyone was type two because they are fat. i think the general public thinks that if you are overweight, then you can become diabetic. if you are already diabetic, then it came from being fat. i’ve had people question if i was heavy at one time during my childhood and if that is what i became diabetic from…um no, i’m type one which has nothing to do with being overweight. i’ve heard the overweight comments too and i also get tired of being looked at like that. i agree with nel peach, much much more education of the public needs to be done!!

I couldn’t agree more…the misconceptions of the “public” wear on ya. A lot of times I just avoid the subject because I don’t want to have to explain - and sometimes they don’t really hear or want to know anyway. Other times, I’m Miss Public Education!!

What’s the difference between Wikipedia’s collection of cited, peer-checked content and Jenny’s opinions as put forward on her site?

No one can go on Jenny’s website and correct erroneous information. No health professionals (which Jenny is not, by the way) can add content to Jenny’s website. Personal anecdotes are great and all, and I don’t doubt some of what she says could be very helpful, but anecdotal evidence is not very persuasive on its own. I have looked at Jenny’s site a number of times and she draws a lot of conclusions from a relatively small amount of published research. If you try to do this on Wikipedia, you will be countered.

The fact that anyone can edit Wikipedia is one of its strengths, in fact possibly its greatest strength.

I don’t know how much insulin you need to take to be considered insulin resistance but I do feel that I am.I read that one from the wikipedia explanation and I have almost all those symptoms.I have been on the pump now for about 7 months and use about 300 units a day.My last A1C was 6.4 a bit of a raise from 5 months ago(6.1). Does any one on here use U500 Insulin?I have been hoping I might be able to try this but so for Ive been told its dangerous and have not been able to get a prescription for it.I cant remember now how much insulin I used as a child but I think I used a lot then also.I wish I would have kept records from back then.I keep notebook entries now of all my BG numbers and even what I have ate.Its sorta fun to say Yes I can tell you what I ate Febuary 19 2007 I had toast and scrambled eggs for breakfast and Supper that day was a bowl of chilli and I took insulin for 50 carbs = 24 units. I also like doing it because the next time I have, say a bowl of chilli can look back on it and see if those 50 carbs was enough to cover that meal.

Dear Brad.

You are definetely insulin resistant. I think if you use more than 0.5 units per Kg of body weight per day you are. Any thoughts on what to do?

You would think living with this for a life time I would have more answers but to tell you the truth I dont.

Anthony, are you able to lift weights? A relatively small amount of that activity can significantly increase insulin sensitivity.

Not much is known.

Does appear to exist.

Metformin alledgedly helps but personally I am not sure.

Some say that more insulin causes more resistance. Some say that higher BG causes insulin resistance. If both are true then heaven help us. The collorary would be that a very low carb diet is a must.

Changing insulin once in a while a good idea? Not sure it does much. But worth a try. I used levemir , lantus and novorapid each 35 units per day for a total of 105. I weight 115 kg (BMI =30) way too much. 0.9 unit per kg per day way too much.

Loosing weight develishly difficult when resistant.

Everybody does are that strenuous prolonged exercise is good. Personally think this is true. Hard to do when you are obese but a must.

Tested how? Wiki says tests are only done in a research setting.

Whatever - that wasn’t really the point. Fact is, I use wikipedia all the time - for baseline info and definitions, etc. If you read the rest of the string, you’ll see where I was coming from.

Jenny’s advice has never hurt me or my health - rather it helped me immensely. Doctors have hurt me and my health. And, Jenny’s information is not all anecdotal.

Regarding the changing of insulin, my endocrinologist told me that Apidra is encapsulated in a unique sort of protein that tends to cause less insulin resistance and immune system response. Blood tests and less irritated pump infusion sites seem to have proven this true in my case (I switched from Humalog to Apidra).

Yes I do about 140 lb on the bench press both horizontal and inclined. Not sure how much good is does for diabetes probably some but does great things elsewhere no more back pain in the last 2 years.

This may be worth a try. although my main insulin consumption is the long lasting ones like levemir and lantus. I find levemir better at night since I never have gone low with it and lantus a bit better for day time use when you can cope with the lows. Only 1/3 is novorapid that could be replaced by adidra if available in Canada.

Wow am I reading your post correctly that you needed 24 units of insulin for 50 grams of carbs this is skyhigh compared to other diabetics but same here I figure 1 unit per 2 grams.

Read wiki on “insulin”. Fascinating, it appears that a normal pancreas will put out the insulin in a sinusoidal variation with a 3 to 6 minute period to avoid saturating the insulin receptors on our cells. This is something that we cannot duplicate with injections or even pulses from a pump unless we inject into the blood stream. I suspect when we inject into the tummy grease the release will be evened out. But one could try to divide our TDD into 10 minute injections and see if that does any good the tummy grease will even them out so there would be little benefit and be a real pain in the butt to do but may be I will experiment.