Hypers and antidepressants

I just want to add we all can react so differently to meds. Anytime I am prescribed any medication there is literally a 50/50 chance I will have a reaction. I can’t take whole groups of drugs because of this.

It doesn’t really matter on the research, it matters how the individual person reacts. Although in this case you are probably trying to figure out what is causing it in the first place. Is it the medication or something else?

This. Another thought in addition to hormones - is she maybe eating more (normally) now that’s she’s feeling better, creating more highs/unveiling a basal or bolus issue that’s been there for awhile?

1 Like

Hi Marie - yes that is exactly it. I am trying to plot what changes have occurred since the rollercoaster of glucose numbers got so bad. The Escitalopram is the major difference, but teenagers have so much going on, I know it is just one factor

1 Like

A good thought. We do keep a food/glucose/activity diary to try to spot patterns, trends and problem areas. It s a very useful book!

That makes sense to me, because the initial high is followed by a low. So the end result is the same / the same amount of insulin is required to “neutralise” a meal, with or without the escitalopram.

The issue i observed, is that my stomach contents exit with a faster speed than normal. As result, the insuline we use is too slow to act (but it will act eventually). If you google around you will find more results of t1d people noticing this side effect when using SSRIs.

So, it would make sense that you wouldn’t notice this short term spike with type2. Especially if you don’t use insulin, which has a certain action ratio that has to be in line with the speed our stomach empties: https://i.imgur.com/0OozdSm.png

PS.
I don’t know for a fact that my stomach emptied faster, there might be other more complicated reasons for the glucose spike… it’s just a thought.

There are tons of serotonin receptors in the GI tract (google “enteric brain” to learn about it), and SSRIs can be used to treat IBS etc for that reason, so stands to reason they could affect digestion for some, and thus impact blood sugars via that route (vs directly increasing insulin resistance). If that were the case for an individual, and it’s a med the person wants to keep using, a short-acting like Afrezza or Fiasp might help, and/or longer prebolus times.

2 Likes