Hypos--ever have to call for help?

Yes that’s how it usually happens to me too. Like @David_dns I keep various stashes around and about like the one in my bike bag, but if I’ve had to avail myself of one of 'em and then don’t remember it needs to be replenished… trouble. Which is precisely what happened that time.

I pour out some Gatorade into a small bottle that I’ve marked with 4 oz portions and bring it with me. That way I know I always have something handy…just in case I forget to check the contents of that glucose tab tube!

My most recent incident happened several weeks ago while I was at the pacific coast attending a family reunion. One morning shortly after breakfast we all decided to head down to the beach. Little did I know but this trek involved a climb down the equivalent of several stories worth of stairs. When I reached the stairs I knew I was in for it and not prepared but decided to proceed anyway. I reached the beach, walked about half way to the water with everyone else and then realized it was too late. So, instead of letting someone know I was in trouble I simply headed back to the house, climbing those stairs along the way and totally forgetting that my mom and older sister (who are both diabetics) were on the beach with me and probably had a hard candy with them. Anyway, I made it back to the house and still had enough wits about me to find a couple sugar packets. I even remembered to check my BG level before eating the them, it was in the low 40s.
Since then I always carry a hard candy with me just in case. My mom really gave me a hard time about the whole thing (I’m 51 so it was a bit embarrassing) and so did my sister.

Wheelman

2 Likes

Great thread, thanks for starting it @DrBB. For the millions of carbs I have stashed every which way, it’s amazing how I can still get caught out when everything conspires to go wrong. And when it does, there’s no question the unhelpfulness of hypo (non)logic that takes over your brain.

2 Likes

Dr. BB check out number 4

Oh yeah, I have been there.

Sorry that happened to you. I usually carry so much different sugar around with me that It’s not a problem. I had a very fast dropping low out of the blue in May while shopping in Target. I was talking to a sales person when I felt it coming on and I wanted some juice so I asked him to help me find some. He was useless because he didn’t seem to understand what a juice pack was and he wanted me to drink a huge bottle of juice. While he went off to find a juice pack, unsuccessfully, I found a small container of oj and started drinking it. I did have glucose tabs but I knew I need liquid- I prefer juice and I don’t usually carry juice with me because it’s too heavy.
I’ve never been out without a sugar source when low but I wouldn’t hesitate to knock on someone’s door or ask a restaurant or a passerby for help etc. Better safe than sorry. I’m not sure why anyone would feel mortified to ask for some help in the form of sugar? If your car broke down etc. you wouldn’t feel the same most likely.

Just make sure you carry double what you think you might need of glucose etc. so if you forget to refill it won’t matter. The gel packs are great because they’re very light weight. I have a fanny pack ready for my walks with glucose and smarties. I also turn off basal right away if it’s dropping fast and sometimes I can treat a low without even eating any sugar if it’s not bad.

1 Like

Omg that’s awesome. Number 28 is so true.

1. There’s never been any butter in your refrigerator’s butter compartment — it’s used for storing insulin.

Not for me, the butter compartment is too small. I use pens and I get a 3 month supply and right now I have three month supplies of Humalog, Levemir and Tresiba. And besides, I use lots of butter so my butter compartment is always full of butter (usually several kinds).

1 Like

Not to mention that since I started using Caremark and getting things in three month increments my crisper drawer is half full of insulin too.

I don’t keep insulin in the main refrigerator; I have a mini fridge in my office just for that purpose. I like not having the two things mixed up, but that’s not really the reason I did it. Having it right here means I don’t need to go downstairs and return each time I need a bolus. It’s basically just convenience—saving steps.

I, too, keep my insulin in a separate mini-fridge - in my sewing room. In fact, I replaced my mini-fridge earlier this year first, rather than my 38 year old primary refrigerator, as I was more concerned about the strange fluctuations of temperature. And the cost of replacing all that insulin if it froze would be far more than replacing the food in the main refrigerator. All will soon be well, though, as I now have a new main refrigerator on order, as well.

Regarding asking for help with a hypo, I’ve never had the need but wouldn’t hesitate to ask a stranger for help. A number of times I’ve asked a stranger to open a bottle of diet soda or water for me when I was on a trip, as the arthritis in my hands is so severe that I sometimes can’t do it myself. So I certainly wouldn’t be afraid to ask with a genuine emergency like a hypo. Of course, I’m an old lady, so people may more readily accept that I may need periodic help. I can understand that much younger people might be more hesitant to ask.

WHAT is it about Target?? I’ve had more lows there than anywhere!!

2 Likes

@ Thas: I suspect it is because Target have a well stocked goodie stand LOL

3 Likes

Oh I know Brian, the butter compartment only fits just a few of my supplies. :slight_smile: I have half of the fridge door taken up and growing. :slight_smile: Makes me feel all warm inside.

I have a separate full size fridge that stores nothing but insulin, beer, and fresh eggs

I’d love to see a picture of the inside of that!

I have a full size fridge made for the garage/irregular temps, for my insulin and some food. I keep most of my insulin there and some in the other fridge in case there is a problem with one. I won’t use the mini fridges because they always seem to freeze things. I had a smaller one but it wasn’t ok for the garage even though they told me it was, so when it failed my plan upgraded me to this much better one.

I’m going to have to remember to have my daughter keep a small glass of water in her dorm mini-fridge when she goes off to college in 4 years so she can monitor whether the temp is too low. And make sure she keeps a less-than-Zombie-Apocalypse supply of extra insulin on hand. If I have to, I’ll keep the back-up supply of insulin for her in a “real” fridge and mail it to her on a regular basis.

2 Likes

I travel about 200 days/ year for work… I see a lot of mini fridges and coolers. This little thermometer is the best $12 I’ve ever spent. It slips right inside my little insulin pouch, inside a frio, etc. every mini fridge I use gets observed and sometimes adjusted with this thermometer. Is had saved my bacon quite a few times. I’ve used other small refrigerator thermometers before this one, but this is my favorite. Looks like there are many other comparable ones of this style…

Cooper-Atkins 535-0-8 Cooler Thermometer with Magnet and Adhesive Tabs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FXM90A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6Xw3xb3CQVX5D

1 Like

Great idea. Have you found the accuracy to be better than the +/- 5 degrees Fahrenheit it advertises? I suppose that since 32 degrees F is simply a “keep away” limit, one could set the fridge at 40 degrees F to be safe.

I once lost about 10,000 units of insulin because I inadvertently brushed up against and rolled the thermostat wheel and froze my insulin. I’m going to order one of these thermometers. I can use it when I travel but also at home. Thanks for the tip.