I am no longer a diabetic

Today I started filing applications to work for the devil.
I said that I never would.
The devil pays well and recruits relentlessly.
Perhaps, now, it will be my job to murder all of you, and myself.
Thanks a lot, Covid.

On the upside, I would not feel a moment of guilt if I don’t do a very good job working for the devil. Every time the devil tells me to do something, I will think long and hard, “Why does the devil want to do that?” It could be interesting to be inside the belly of the beast, however unpleasant.

God help me. I’m going in…

You can now refer to me as, “Mohe, murderer of my people”
:frowning:

2 Likes

Honestly, years after I had soured on the industry of finance and the people that inhabitant it, I also realized that almost any organization that would hire me has some ethical issues, e.g., finance, medical, pharmaceutical, big tech, etc. Just as I started working at Memorial Soan Kettering, there came out stories about ethical problems, i.e., conflicts of interest and self-dealing. Even now, when I contemplate talking with Google or Amazon or Facebook, this just poses a different ethical dilemma, not the absence of one.

One must eat.

4 Likes

@mohe0001 you should definitely work for the devil, and get as much from that company as you can whether if he wages, benefits, or other intangibles like information!

If you get hired, are you buying the first round?

3 Likes

If you have Netflix, watch “The Social Dilema” … big brother is doing more than watching!

2 Likes

You can think of it differently. It is where you a do the most good. Considering your background and skills, you can be a force for good, for change, and you have enough time left in life to risk going entrepreneurial, creating your own company.

Lately, I’ve realized something I see in others in their response to the pandemic. Some people crumble, or fall into bad habits, Others choose to refocus, to do better, to do more, to adapt.

Which one are you going to be?

6 Likes

I’ve got “The Social Dilemma” on my watch list.

“If you want to control the population of a country, there’s never been a tool as effective as Facebook”

“Fake news spreads six times faster than true news”

I did watch it, although I normally eschew documentaries. It was interesting, but not groundbreaking.

For the longest time, it has looked like behavioral modification, ala BF Skinner, but in truth, it’s always a bit more complicated than that. It also looks a bit like Transaction Analysis work I read in the 70s, most notably Games People Play. Likes are like strokes, a term used to signify small congenial interaction of low significance. It also is great for propaganda, another interest from my early 20’s. Pictures and videos are much more powerful as communication tools, compared to text, so the right imagery, with a little bit of content and misinformation, goes a long way.

The turn came when it when the internet was monetized, and then made ‘social’, making us complicit in our slavish devotion to others’ profits.

2 Likes

@JamesIgoe - For someone who’s employed in the coding industry or higher level SEO in a web-based business, none of this is a revelation. But the vast majority of people have no clue.

Two words: Cambridge Analytica

2 Likes

From a behavioral pharmacology class in college, I walked away with a deeper awareness and appreciation of reinforcement schedules and addiction, e.g., positive, negative, variable-rate, variable-frequency, etc., and have often thought about how systems of pleasure/reinforcement make addicts. One can see how gambling is addictive, but so are games, as are social forums, and not just Facebook.

Also, I was a teen in the 70s, when a caustic eye was cast on advertising and marketing, and that combined with an awareness of addiction, makes me wary of getting sucked into ‘addictions’, activities of little value but that are time-consuming. We all have them, and I am certainly not immune to it.

2 Likes

Apparently Facebook / Instagram / Twitter took the same class as you James.

"Just like a gambling or substance addiction, social media addiction involves broken reward pathways in our brains. Social media provides immediate rewards — in the form of attention from your network — for minimal effort through a quick thumb tap. Therefore, the brain rewires itself, making you desire likes, retweets, emoji applause and so on. According to TED, five to 10 percent of internet users are psychologically addicted and can’t control how much time they spend online. Brain scans of social media addicts are similar to those of drug-dependent brains: There is a clear change in the regions of the brain that control emotions, attention and decision making.

To make things worse, according to TED, the reward centers in our brains are most active when we’re talking about ourselves. In real life, people talk about themselves 30 to 40 percent of the time; social media is all about showing off your life, so people talk about themselves a whopping 80 percent of the time. When a person posts a picture and gets positive social feedback, it stimulates the brain to release dopamine, which again rewards that behavior and perpetuates the social media habit."

2 Likes

Sorry @mohe0001, I am not up on the TuD news. The devil could be a lot of different companies.

Who is it for YOU? Big pharma? An insurance company? An endo?

My personal opinion is that the devil is UnitedHealthcare, but that is just me.

If I had a chance to work for them, I would take it so I could destroy them from the inside.

“Great news Mrs. Walchokowski, I have personally approved your appeal for Fiasp insulin! It will now be covered!”

1 Like

Social media is especially catchy for those with ADD/ADHD. People who’s brains are already on a relentless mission for another dose of dopamine and are tuned to jumping down any rabbit hole they can find or get hyperfocused on one task, like scrolling a never ending feed. Add to that having easy access through a device you take with you everywhere and can whip out and rapidly dive in.

1 Like

Very well put and very inspiring @JamesIgoe.

2 Likes

As a therapy, behavioral modification has mixed results, the most effective therapy being Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. One of the speakers in the movie was adamant that it wasn’t just about changing behavior, it was about changing our perceptions, and maybe that is the greatest effect, and possibly worst, of social/advertising/media manipulation, changing what and how we perceive. Look over here, and not there, look at it this way, and not that…

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 8.11.03 AM

“Seeking an individual with a passion for healthcare.
Must be a team player, open to innovating outside the box.”

If things are remote for a while, maybe I can sneak by. But, I don’t know if I could honestly walk into that building and work everyday. I’ll try. I’ll see what happens. Maybe I have built up something in my mind over years that can’t be undone…and shouldn’t.

The devil is typically so weak when you meet him day to day. But, its different when the devil is a large organizational power house. Its scarier. I am extremely uncomfortable with this. I should put on the record that I believe I am making a very bad decision. Something very, very bad may come of this.

I feel real and genuine fear. This is what I hear in my mind.

I need to change the tune of the song to something less serious. Like this -
More playful. I’m just gonna have to play the damn fiddle and then make a run for it.
I’ll try to keep the song as short as possible.

I think that the goal is to not become entangled in some hystrionic domestic dispute with healthcare. Its the complicated love/hate relationship with healthcare that makes this all so complicated. I know you guys understand. No one else does. They better not push me too far. I know what they are up to.

Important stuff

Ummmm. Okay.

Hopefully this forum is for inside jokes.

1 Like

C’mon, @Collin2. You’ve never had a domestic dispute with healthcare before?
Have you ever met healthcare? Perhaps you two have not been properly introduced.

I feel like every time I go to the pharmacy someone is there sobbing.
They sooo want to break up with healthcare.

If I get into trouble, send lawyers, guns, and money.

This is where I’m at, I think.

Well, they can’t break up with healthcare. It would be a long, ugly divorce, and since they are second cousins, they have related family, and many children.

First, they are so intimately tied together, that there is no way to simply sever the relationship. They are intertwined, wed to each other through work and retirement. (insurance through work, Medicare/Medicaid)

Second, they both have assets, or more accurately, the assets have them and everyone else tied to them, and those assets refuse to let go. (pharmaceuticals, device manufactures, insurers)

Third, they would need a replacement in place - they still need to take care of themselves - so they would need to be having an affair on the side, and that would need to slowly take over the existing relationship. The issue is that people don’t change, and they often repeat the errors of their prior relationships, and worse, it is with another second cousin. The relationship is better, but with many of the same problems. (ACA, but with the same insurers, device manufacturers, hospital systems, etc.)

After a while, they find out that the new beau isn’t quite who they thought they were. They are a bit incompetent, a closet racist, and quietly draining their bank account without their knowledge. They want to go to therapy to resolve the problems, but unbeknownst to them, the therapist is a former classmate of the partner and sides with them on everything. (government capture)

Once they reach their wit’s end and the new partner has absconded with all their assets, they try legal action, but the courts and the judiciary are rigged in their favor. (legal precedents from prior corporate-friendly legislation and rulings).

At this point, with nowhere to turn, too frail after years of mistreatment and malnourishment, they are committed to a nursing home, where they die of COVID-19.

2 Likes