I am told Im not alone

I think that there are a lot of people who think that whenever we end up in the hospital, it’s our fault. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t, but people hear that you had a diabetes related hospital visit, and they think automatically that it was because you did something to put yourself there. I think it just gets frustrating for everyone. I know my mom gets frustrated every single time I have a low, a high, a bad headache, and her reaction is to as me what I DID or DIDN’T do to cause it, when a lot of times it has nothing to do with me. In her case, I know she gets mad out of worry. I also have a lot of friends who get upset with me because I have to cancel plans a lot. I remember blowing up at one of them when they got upset, and I had to tell them look, I’M the one with the disease, how do you think I feel about it? It’s such a roller coaster.

This is a tough one to accept, knowing what we as diabetics know. Diabetes is a tricky foe and plays for keeps. When people make judgmental comments based on ignorance, we all struggle trying the to express just the right words to extinguish that ignorance. It’s tough – especially if you don’t feel well.

The only suggestion I have is, for the people you consider important in your life, try to have a heart to heart conversation with them, when you feel well, about your diabetes. Tell them that diabetes is complicated and your struggle is shared by many. None of us get it right every time. Tell them you make dozens of decisions every day and being wrong on any one of them can lead to a nasty outcome. Tell them you’re trying as hard as you can and you take diabetes seriously. Tell them you work at diabetes all day, every day, and never get a day off!

2 Likes

Great advice. Furthermore, it might be a good idea to tell them how those attitudes and judgments about your disease make you feel. I have had this conversation with my mom a few times, and she has always received it well. A lot of times people just don’t realize our side of things.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s scary when the country cannot provide free good insulin to all its citizens. If the international mail worked fast and free enough, I would send to you some Humalog, Tresiba or Lantus for free. However, hold on, sis.

1 Like

I’m learning I do need to talk about it more. I often hold everything in. I have struggled so long that now when I feel sick or that I should go into the hospital I just try to ignore it because I feel like I’m a bother. Also my daughter has dealt with a lot with me. She found me during a seizure one night and had to get help. She is 10 and is in therapy for anxiety and PTSD related to the diabetic events she has dealt with with me.

So speaking to others is a great idea and one I need to put into action…especially with those around me that matter most. Open lines of communication are good to have.

2 Likes

There are three insulins available at Walmart – NPH, Regular, and 70/30 (a mix of the two).

The only 2 diabetics I know in town both use 70/30, one is 71 years old, I am sure he has insurance and he could just buy what ever kind he wanted to.

1 Like

Aug 17th , oops sorry.

I have been diabetic since age 8y.o. - 64 years ago. Don’t know what expenses were like for my parents. They both worked and know they had extended family to help them out. As an adult I have been blessed with good jobs with good health insurance to cover my D supplies. BUT I think it so unfortunate that in our country we cannot make sure that everyone has what they need in medical supplies - diabetes is just one example. Others have mentioned ideas on how to get diabetes supplies at the lowest prices and talking with others about the challenges of managing your diabetes. One other possibility - and you may very well being doing this already - would be to find ways to cut some of the other regular expenses/costs of living and perhaps there are some people that can offer guidance/suggestons along these lines. There is alot wirtten about how to do this in magazines, etc.