I am very fortunate

I just read a post by a person who is T1 and is trying to get a job as a MRI technician. Problem. The person uses a pump and the pump cannot be worn inside that strong of a magnetic field. So the person is worried that they will not get the job. The kicker. The job involves diabetes research. Let me see if I understand this correctly. A person with diabetes may not get a job aiding in diabetes research because that person is a diabetic.

When I read this persons post it made me realize just how thankful I should be. I have an employer who understands my condition and is willing to work with me and my diabetic needs.

All of this is inspite of the fact that I have been taken out of the building I work in twice for low BS. Once was while I was in front of a class teaching. That also happened BEFORE I was hired permanant with the company. So you could say that they knew about me and the big D before they hired me. The other episode, while not incharge of a class, was with the students (these are adults) present.

All of us who are gainfully employed with a company that is willing, whether because of ADA laws or not, to work with us and enable us to test and take care of our diabetes should be very thankful.

But the advice that was given this person by several members of this forum is probably the best way to handle this. When you are going through the hiring process, do not mention your diabetes. Wait until you are hired and then bring it up.

It is sad that things have to be handled in this manner. You would think that in the 21st century that all the old mysteries and taboo’s would have long since passed away. When you get diabetes you quickly learn that is not the way it is.

As for me, I am truly thankful for my job and an employer who gets it.