I can’t sleep. Can anyone offer some help?

So this a little unusual but my wife finds the Dan Jones Sleep Stories for Adults put her right out and keep her that way. Based on something called Ericksonian hypnosis. I’ve tried and found it… interesting, but I don’t really have any trouble sleeping. She does, though, and totally swears by it. I think there is a subscription fee but it’s modest, and anyway it doesn’t require putting any more drugs in your body.

3 Likes

3 days without Ambien as of today. My brain is somewhat less foggy, but I’m back to not sleeping well. Not wanting to cause permanent memory loss, I’m inclined to go with less sleep and less chance of brain damage.

2 Likes

Dave, has Ambien been linked to brain damage?

Yes

My thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about sleep. I found all the responses helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences and ideas about how to get a good night’s sleep. This is a great group!

Marilyn

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this interesting thread. I take one drug (clonazepam) to fall asleep and another (trazodone) to stay asleep. I’ve been able to cut back on the trazodone with increased exercise, but the falling asleep is still a problem.

What I really wanted to share is that I have turned to listening to audio books right before sleeping to turn off my brain. I set a timer to stop play after 30 minutes and most times I know it worked because I have no clue what’s going on in the story because I missed some of it! Sometimes it takes another 30 minute session, but at least my mind doesn’t go it the crazy circles as it is inclined to do.

Hope you find something that works!

Fran

3 Likes

Several people have mentioned Benadryl/diphenhydramine as a sleep aid. I learned the hard way that it’s a bad idea if one suffers from Restless Leg Syndrome! Due to serotonin uptake issues with Benadryl, I was tap dancing all night in spite of my prescribed Med (Baclofen)!

This works like a charm

I am 71, type 1 for 62 years and insomnia started creeping in about 4 years ago. Ambien increased my BG, so I cycled through several meds. that were ineffective like valium and Ativan. Melatonin was good for about 3 days. I never thought it had to do with my diabetes because I had read that insomnia is a major concern for seniors/geriatic patients everywhere. My internist prescribed 3 mg. Lunesta 2 years ago and I have not had a problem since. I do stop watching TV and no computer after 10:00-10:30 and head to bed. I take Lunesta at that time and read on my Kindle until I almost doze off. Also, I have found that if I turn off the light on my Kindle screen and read by the light of a small, bedside, gooseneck lamp directed toward the screen, I get sleepy within an hour. Hope this is some help.

1 Like

Thanks very much Kathlyn. I have been sleeping better almost since the time I posted this topic. A couple of weeks ago I changed my brand of melatonin and upped the dosage to 2 mgs. I am sleeping very, very well now. I am so glad that you found something to help you sleep. Several years ago, I was given samples of Lunesta after Ambien was no longer working and for some reason I never tried it.

Looking back in my medical files, I see that I have had trouble sleeping for the last 20 yrs. I too try stay away from screens before bed. It does help.

Marilyn

Yeah it’s happening again for me. My gastroparesis is acting up again so I figure it has something to do with it. It usually doesn’t last this long, with not sleeping. I have looked back at my previous posts and gastro usually happens every 7 months. The last six days have been hard. I think I have been getting about 3 hours of sleep but it doesn’t usually happen for a few hours after retiring. I turn off all my screens early and have a blue light filter on all my devices turned on. I hope this doesnt last too much longer.:tired_face::tired_face:

I’m really late to the discussion, but I just noticed that the half life of melatonin is pretty darn quick, so maybe you (and I) wake up 4 hours later because it is out of the system? Have you tried slow acting melatonin? Probably fixes it, and probably has some inactive ingredients I don’t want in my system, but I’ll give it a go. I’m on a blood pressure med that apparently messes with my levels (losartin).

1 Like

You can imagine Soldiers in active combat trying to sleep so here is a technique taught to them help them sleep. Hope it helps you…

1 Like

Scott, I take Losartan too. I am not sure if I have ever taken slow acting Melatonin. Might be worth a try.

I recently read a book on sleep, which said that if you can’t sleep within ten minutes then read until you can sleep. I usually spend at least an hour trying to sleep before I pick up a book and then I read for about an hour before I get to sleep. I have a habit of choosing books that interest me too much to fall asleep quickly. I need to stop trying to get to sleep for a hour plus, but start reading after 10 or 15 minutes. At least i would enjoy my time spent reading.

Mike, I have tried doing most of this before and I still don’t go to sleep. I need to try this method again making sure I follow all of the steps. Thanks for the reminder!