I cant make up my mind!

So…I’ve been on pens for like a year, and i think i’m ready for pump. My mom is worried about switching me to a pump because i’m a crazy sleeper [which i think is a minor porblem] and because i dont eat as much as i should be, i skip meals. She’s also worried that it’ll show through my clothes, which i dont want, which is why a pod i wouldnt really put much thought into. If you use a pump could you tell me is it harder or easier/ more efficient…or if you know someone who does do they think its better?

Sleeping with a pump isn’t really a problem. I just stick mine under the pillow on the end of its 43" long hose. Of course a pod wouldn’t need that treatment, but I don’t like them personally. If nothing else the pods cost more, since the whole thing is replaced every few days. Also if the cannula (aka needle) doesn’t go in well you might lose that pod, as I understand it.

Of course I may just be set in my ways since I’ve been using insulin pumps for 15 years now, and the pod wasn’t around when I last upgraded. As for showing through your clothes it isn’t a problem either, at least the hose based pumps, since you put it in a case on the belt or in various cases that may be elsewhere, particularly for females such as yourself. Some even fit a place in the bra, as I understand it.

thanks! you were really helpful…
in the information packet i was given for the omni pod it hadnt said the whole pod had to be disposed. It seemed as if it worked the same as a pump just cordless. Is using a pump more expensive? will i use less needles?

The pump is ideal for those that don’t keep regular eating schedules. You will learn to sleep with it just fine. I don’t know much about the pod but if you have trouble with one or manage to knock it loose you will have to replace it with another pod which is much more expensive than just replacing your set with a regular pump. I was diagnosed in 1970 and got my first pump in 1991. I much prefer pumping to injecting. There are different places to put your pump. One place I like is hanging from my bra, under my arm. I think the thing I love most about pumping is that it is so darn convenient. And I love how customized my basal rate is.

Yes, it’s better. I’m 29 and have pumped when I was 20. For me, it has been SO much better.

I’ve used 3 of the 5 pump brands on the market and can attest that they’re all good. I’ve worn an Omnipod for about 4 months now and am very happy with it.

I’ve never heard of anyone dislodging a pump due to crazy sleeping, so don’t let your mom worry about that. Regardless of which pump you wear, there are so many places to put it that it’s easily invisible to others. I am a high school teacher and went several weeks before noticing one of my students was wearing a pump, too! (She had it in her pocket and it looked like any other kid’s cell phone, but I noticed her carrying a glucometer case and finally figured it out.)

The pump is easy in the sense that you have to do less calculating on your own. Some pumps have carb databases for figuring out the carb counts of favorite foods, all pumps allow you to pre-program certain dosages, sliding scales for correction, insulin-to-carbohydrate ratios, etc. And all pumps let you fine-tune dosages of insulin down to .1 or .05 units - which you cannot do on a syringe. They allow you to have a more flexible eating schedule, make it easier to work out because you can adjust your own background insulin, and make it where you don’t have to inject yourself but once every three days to insert a new infusion set or pod.

The pump is hard in the sense that because it’s fine-tuned, you have to be willing to test MORE often, you have to be willing to adjust all of those numbers in small increments to make it fit your body, and you (at one time or another) occasionally have to mess with things like failed pods, kinked cannulas, disconnected tubing, occlusions (blockages), and battery failures. You have new supplies to keep up with (like spare sets or pods) and it can be way more expensive than syringes. You’re buying more test strips, you’re still buying insulin, and you’re buying either new pods or infusion sets plus reservoir cartridges.

When I first had the pump, the infusion set somehow came out… but for me, the best solution was to wear my pump in a sports bra at night and not have long tubing… since then it never came out.

I don’t think the pump is a problem showing through clothes. I clip it on my belt, or I put it in a case on my belt. There are also a couple of other ways I wear it. I usally use a “waist thing” and that works great.

Having the pump is much more convenient. You don’t have to eat on a set schedule, and you can skip meals. This makes for me losing weight easier. I have had no problems with button pushing while sleeping. My pump (MM 722) has a lock feature if you are concerned about that. I used it for the first two months, and then realized I ddin’t need to.

The pump makes my life easier. No longer have to worry to bring my insulin with me when out and about. One shot every three days instead of several a day. I really like that part. A pump makes it easier to figure out your dosing for meals and corrections. Math is not my strong suit. You can adjust your pump for when you work out so you can hopefully avoid lows. I really can’t say anything about the pod. When I was looking at pumps, the pod just didn’t appeal to me. I didn’t like having the remote separate. I think they call it a PDA. What if I forgot it? At the time also, my CDE had an older version and it was way to BIG!

I have three little kids, and I play and wrestle with them and have no problems. My blood sugars are more stable now. Sure, I still have issues, but that is life with the D, right?

A pump will take some work from you, but it is worth it. Cost is a big factor, but with insurance I was able to get the majority of mine paid for and I make payments on the rest. I pay $50.00 a month for 20 months. My insurance covers supplies, so that is pretty nice also.

I hope that this information helps you some.

Different strokes for different folks. :slight_smile:

I never forget my PDM because I keep it in my purse, which is with me almost all the time. One of the biggest challenges I perceive with a “regular” pump is where to put it. I don’t wear pants at work very much so clipping it to a belt isn’t an option. Putting it in my bra doesn’t appeal to me, either.

I love the pod because I don’t have to think about it. It’s on my arm for three days and I don’t have any trouble sleeping with it on or taking a shower or swimming or . . . I’ve never been on any other pump so I can’t say for sure, but being hooked up to a tube all the time sounds awful.

As I said, different strokes!

i think i want a pump, and not a pod…
a pump seems more efficient.