I do have to vent and share with you guys

Now that I look back. I should’ve of gone on the pump in 2007 after I saw animas at the American diabetes walk that I did. I wouldn’t be dealing with the crap from Joslin. You have no idea Diana how much crap they put you through on getting the pump. It makes it sound like a luxury of some sort and you have to work for it instead of having them hear you out and know what you need and not what they think you need. This whole getting the pump experience is not making me want to return to Joslin.

Hint if you want to be off the pump for an hour, you might want to give yourself a small bolus, remembering that insulin works roughly for 3-4 hours. I usually give myself a bolus about what the hourly basal rate is… before i disconnect, but you really dont have to if your disconnecting less than an hour, but i find it keeps things on the level a bit better when you unplug even if you reconnect before the hours up. For the pool situation, if your not doing heavy swimming (just lounging/walking around the shallow end)… id probably just give myself 3 hours worth of basal as a bolus upfront and disconnect… Wouldnt do the same if i were actively swimming. id probably only give a unit upfront so i have IOB before i disconnect, but realizing that exercise can enhance insulin sensitivity and such, just worry about it when i reconnect… Remember YDMV but hopefully it gives you some ideas of what to do.

Do you like your CGM? I’m still contemplating getting the Dexcom right now…

Thanks Jake…I’ll remember that. I definitely dont swim. I hate it! I like walking in the shallow end and maybe a tiny bit of swimming but not much of it.

I do I do1 I feel naked as I ran out of sensors and told Neighborhood I needed more and they had trouble getting the authorization and waiting for my insurance company to come back. I should get them this weekend. I feel sooooo naked, I so do. I feel lost too!

Actually I had coffee with a type 1 friend yesterday and we were going over her numbers on her print-out sheets from the Animas software and I really liked them! I had just assumed they were graphs and I hate graphs…lol. So now I’m more motivated to figure out how to use the software…as soon as I get a tad more comfortable with this other program I’m learning currently…sigh…whoever said comfort zones were good housing!

But bottom line, it isn’t how you track numbers but that you do it, especially in the early pump using days.

I know what you mean Amy. Back when I was younger, not that I’m old now, lol my doctor said if I did everything he asked he would put me on a pump. So I did. Then when I asked again about it he told me no because I was doing so well on shots! I was super angry. How disappointing…especially being a kid. Well now that it’s years later and I’m getting my pump, the animas rep said that he did that to a lot of kids. I wish you could go someplace else… my pump is coming in the mail today and I start on saline Tuesday morning. I’m so exciting and scared at the same time! I really hope I don’t do saline as long as you’re having to do it =( She said I could do it for as little as three days or when I can get back to the doctors office, since I live so far away.

I’m telling you saline is not fun for me. I look at the meter and think I dont have to do anything else. Nope, I still have to write info down and prepare the shot. It takes longer! I have gotten the reservoir change and infusion set change down pat. but boy am I just frustrated. I almost want to sneak the humalog in the reservoir

Did they train you on how to program the settings? Or put the settings on what you’ll be starting with insulin for the saline … I dunno… for myself I’d be too freaked out if I put insulin in, with no help from anyone… on the other hand it’s your pump… they can’t rip it away from you, but they could deny your prescriptions…

vani

I had some of the settings already in there from when i got it. I already knew my carb/insulin ratio so I set that in there. I played around with it to get a feel for pushing buttons such as suspend and resume, basal and bolus, etc. When i went to the foundations class, we figured the setting for that. I am not sure if it will stay that way but its what it is until March 3rd. I am still on the lantus so even if I went ahead and put the humalog in, I dont think they would notice much. But who knows.

Amy,
I just found the Federal Law that requires communication by email (under HIPAA). Here is what your message would need to say:
Pursuant to HIPAA regulations codified as 45 CFR 164.522(b), I am invoking
the option to have my communication sent in the clear to my email account as
any other method could cause me harm.

The harm would be in translation from boy friend to you. The regulation does not specify harm - it is up to you. Here is the link for cut and paste: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/octqtr/45cfr164.522.htm

Hope this helps one and all.

thanks Jay…I received your email on it as well :slight_smile: