I fight heart disease with lifestyle, not statins, a one year report

Many celiacs have additional food intolerances in addition to a gluten intolerance to wheat, barley, and rye. Those three grains do trigger an autoimmune reaction however, Celiacs have “leakier” guts. This explains it:

https://gluten.org/looking-beyond-gluten-free-choose-gut-supportive-diet-long-term-health-celiac-disease/

Each celiac needs to further alter their diets due to additional intolerances and concurrent illnesses.

I have celiac disease and found that I function better without grains in my diet (managing my blood sugar and feeling good in general). There has not been much research, but recently Scripps in San Diego conducted a tiny study Inflammatory Bowel Disease. They tested the Autoimmune Paleo Diet (AIP), which happens to exclude grain grains temporarily) and achieved a 78% remission rate in just a matter of weeks.

Efficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet for Inflammatory Bowel Disease - PMC

It is a shame that there is not enough research on food and nutrition leaving patients to figure what kind of diet works best for them.

1 Like

Thanks, Terry. Is it true that Dr Davis only would advocate a stent in an acute situation when a patient goes to the hospital with angina and a blockage is discovered as the cause of the pain?

Yes, I believe he thinks that stents are overused and he knows that lifestyle is much more effective. I recognize that this is a complicated issue and I’m not well studied on all its facets. For the time being, in my case, I wish to delay or prevent this scenario.

I’ve followed the news that US presidential candidate, Bernie Sanders, just had some stents placed in one of his arteries. He was actively experiencing a heart attack. In his case it seems like stents are an effective option and open heart surgery is much more invasive.

I have my annual physical in 3 days. I copied the 2018 AHA etc guidelines so that my doctor would feel more comfortable about writing me a script for a CAC (he could have brought it up himself last year since I had a a higher than normal amount of plaque in my carotid arteries for someone my age in 2017 while at the same time have great lipid and A1c numbers).Then I have to see if my insurance would pay even if he does write a script. If everything falls through, I’ll pay because I have the money and I believe in the test. Here is the guideline, which I fall under-
In adults 40 to 75 years of age without diabetes mellitus and with LDL-C levels ≥70 mg/dL- 189 mg/dL (≥1.8-4.9 mmol/L), at a 10-year ASCVD risk of ≥7.5% to 19.9%, if a decision about statin therapy is uncertain, consider measuring CAC.
I wouldn’t consider a statin, though. but he doesn’t have to know that.

1 Like

Stents were a breeze for me. I was running errands 3 or 4 days later. They never slowed me down. I did not have a heart attack though. I was pleased that Bernie got stents when needed.

We can scare ourselves silly reading about the pros and cons which I normally do about everything. I had no time to do that when my symptoms presented themselves, and I am so terribly glad that I didn’t. I would get them again if I had too. They are working just fine 9 yrs later.

1 Like

Maŕilyn- I totally agree with you re statins. Genetics plays a huge role. I’ve been on them for 20+ years (no problems with them yet) and also try to do lots of sports regularly, which is easier now that I’ve retired. I also admire Terry for his attitude and achievements though!

1 Like

Oh, I admire Terry too!

Speaking of genetics though, it has to play a large part. Genetics must have kept Ginger Baker alive until 80 and Keith Richards should have been dead decades ago. I am very glad that he is still well and performing, but I am amazed at how hard many of us have to fight to stay healthy while others live long lives while breaking all the rules.

I can’t seem to find it, it was on one of the celiac sites I believe. I read it a few years ago and thought I had saved it. The rational, I think, was that they react to all grains, not just gluten. Although the reaction to gluten is more obvious for those who have symptoms.

Wow. Great progress! Curious as to eliminating all grains even the good ones. Was this simply because of the varabilty in controlling your bg or other? Eating grain foods, especially whole grain foods and those containing fibre from oats and barley is associated with lower risk of heart disease I thought.

I eliminated all grains from my diet due to their inflammatory nature. I know that dietitians like to push the concept of “healthy whole grains,” an idea I’ve previously rejected with an eye toward glucose management.

When I was faced with concrete evidence of coronary artery plaque, I found Dr. Davis’ argument regarding eliminating grains from my diet compelling. Now that I’ve been able to stop the plaque progression as measured by my one year CAC results, I think I made the right conclusion.

Large food companies and agribusiness have a deep vested interest in selling the public that their products are “heart healthy.” I think those campaigns are more motivated by profits than they are about genuine concern for the public’s health.

As a child, I remember seeing doctors in white lab coats on TV commercials extolling the health benefits of cigarettes while puffing on a cigarette.

I agree that fiber is an important component for gut health but grains are not the only source of dietary fiber.

Association is a weak link between two things. While we can readily observe that umbrellas are associated with rainfall, it’s quite a stretch to say that umbrellas caused the rain.

By the way, welcome to TuD. I hope my initial disagreement with your first comment does not deter your further participation.

Wow. Sounds like you made the right decision. What have you been eating for starch?

Great job Terry. I was wondering if you gave up certain meat products. I’d like to try something similar.
Great going mate
Regards,
David.

Our essential nutrition requirements included amino amino acids (protein) and fatty acids (fats). There is no essential need for carbohydrates which include starches. I do eat small amounts of carbohydrates, mostly low carb veggies.

I still eat bacon once or twice per week. That habit didn’t seem to affect my ability to stop my heart disease progression. I am not persuaded by the arguments that bacon is bad for you.

We’ve been given so much bad food advice over the years, such as the idea that dietary cholesterol becomes blood cholesterol. Turns out it doesn’t; remember the hysteria over eating eggs? I’m skeptical.

1 Like

I’d have to agree with you @Terry4. I’ve found many of the lifelong nutrition rules we were brought up believing are nothing more than myths (Eggs myth, Salt myth, Fat myth, Meat myth to name a few).

I’ve come to the same conclusion. For the past 6 months, I’ve transitioned from a Keto a strict Carnivore diet (protein and fat only). For me and my diabetes, this is the best possible option. Not only is my glucose control better and more easily managed than it’s ever been, I’ve also experienced a tremendous reduction of multiple inflammatory processes that I’ve lived with for years.

I’m curious how much protein you eat per day Terry (DKD limits my total protein intake to about 50 grams / day)?

1 Like

I don’t actively measure my protein intake but I’ve recently increased my consumption. The amount recommended by dietitians is 0.8 x body weight in kilograms but critics of that formula don’t think it’s optimal. For me, the 0.8 formula yields 55 grams of protein/day.

I’m eating more meat these days and I can often get 60 grams of protein in one meal. Since I only eat two meals/day, I estimate my protein consumption around 80 grams/day on most but not all days.

I recently subscribed to a service that sends me a month’s supply of frozen meat and that has provide me some discipline to consume more protein. I get one box per month. I’ve also added cottage cheese to my routine. I can get about 20 grams of protein that way. Nuts are my go-to snack so I’m getting some extra protein there.

I find it odd that when I was following the Bernstein diet my protein levels were always low. I was eating plenty of cheese, meat and eggs. Since eating low fat plant based and eating beans everyday by protein levels are just where they should be. I sure couldn’t have predicted that. I hadn’t realized that plants contained so much protein. Live and learn.

1 Like

Do you monitor protein with a blood measurement?

Do you think the protein quality in a plant based diet is equivalent to animal based diets?

Terry, blood measurement done in a lab is the only way I monitor my protein.

I have no idea if animal protein is better than plant protein.

I just go by the value I get in the lab.

Quality plant based diets are known for being high in protein. My doctors no longer tell me to eat more meat which they were always doing during my 11 yrs on Bernstein’s
woe. Could just be my body, but more meat didn’t raise my protein levels much at all.

I agree with The Who do we believe statement, especially when dealing with women and research. The research with heart conditions and women just don’t happen with the same numbers as men. And as we are all discovering the hard way, women are being lumped in with the men’s research and it’s not the same.
This is a huge problem across the board dealing with research. Men vs women, seniors vs young adults, hound children vs teens. We don’t all present the same and end up the same.
So we must continue to advocate for ourselves and have our loved ones ready to also battle for us when we can’t. If you think something is wrong or not working, fight.