I give up

[quote=“Dave26, post:19, topic:57903, full:true”]

Sadly, he is incapable of (or chooses not to) understand this concept. Your daughters (correction: daughter and son) are fortunate to have you as a father.

Thank you for saying this. It means a lot to me, likely more than you know.

One minor clarification – I have salt and pepper shakers, not two of the same :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yorkergirl143, please check in with us. What’s up right now? Any luck with the Medtronic folks? You have syringes, right? Can you contact the on-call endo about calling in a rx for basal insulin (Levemir or Lantus) for you?

1 Like

Ditto @Yorkergirl143, we’re concerned

2 Likes

Yorkergirl143,

We are all worried about you and for you. We all understand that diabetes is a fight that you must fight everyday. We all know how hard it is on you, our children and ourselves.

I have never been sadder than the day my young boy was diagnosed with T1D. A few days later, he and I went to a week-end camp for diabetic kids. Up there, this is what a young woman, T1D, just exactly your age, told my son, who was 11 (he is 12 now):

“When you were diagnosed, you were given one heavy burden, and three special gifts that nobody else can get but us.
For the rest of your life, you will have millions of friends around you, all the T1Ds of this world, who understand everthing you are going through, and will give you help, love, understanding and assistance. Who else in the worlds gets millions of instant best friends?
Because of the burden you have, you will also have compassion for all the others around you who also bear a burden of a heavy kind. How can we not be sensible to the pain of others?
And, because you have it in you to live with the burden you have, you also will have strength to bear other things in life that will seem so hard to others. if you can take diabetes, day after day and night after night, the rest will feel very small.
You will be a wall of strength to the others around you. You will have compassion for them. And, when you feel low, wherever you are, you will be able to draw upon all diabetics around you that you were given special friendship with the very day you got this.
So you see, diabetes comes with bad luck, but also with a lot of good luck.”

That day, my son met other diabetic kids for the first time (we live in a rural area and there is no big crowd around us). He is on social media with them almost every day. Wherever he meets other diabetics, they bond with him right away. We were at a party a few weeks ago where he spent an hour talking to a woman 20 years older than him, who is also a T1D like him.

You have the same opportunity. All around the world, and all around you, every diabetic is your gift-given friend, from the day you were diagnosed - a friend who knows and understands you more than any other, and who is ready to help you as well. Your first step is to find these friends and draw upon their help wherever you are.

You are just a bit older than my older son - we parents live for our children. You probably have clinical depression right now, from what you are sharing with us. Can your parents take you on and help you through the next few months, maybe move to your house for a while?

Have you talked to Medtronics? Do you have basal and bolus insulin on hand?

Your friend Michel. Feel free to msg. I can give you a phone number to call me if you want. You need to talk to someone who will listen to you.

2 Likes

@rgcainmd, I cannot even imagine or understand his reaction. I am 100% with @Dave26. I am a father, too, of two sons, 18 and 12. If I ever could take my son’s T1D on my shoulders I would do it in that moment. He is no father, your ex, not to share this burden.

Michel, that was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever read here on TuD. Thank you for sharing it – there’s a lot of wisdom in those words.

1 Like

Ok so I had posted earlier about my pump not working and I was feeling really crappy .
My sugar levels was above 600. I was feeling awful I couldn’t get my pump to work so thank goodness my sister she’s also diabetic she had syringes she isn’t on a pump and we use the same brand insulin and I got the insulin I needed

4 Likes

Hi Yorkergirl143.
I am not sure what things you need to help you with your situation, but there are many different categories of things. And there are a lot of people here that are really good at these various things. Let me list a few that I can think of. There are probably other things I am forgetting.

1. Supplies - Do you have the supplies you need? Do you have enough of insulin, pump supplies, testing supplies, backup syringes? (you really need to have some of those!)

2. Insurance - Do you have insurance that can get you what you need?

3. Medical care - Do you have an endocrinologist that is helpful and good? Does he listen to you, answer your questions, make sure you have what you need? Do you have someone you can call for help or to answer questions?

4. Family - Is there someone that can help you with your family needs? Help you take care of your kids and give you the support you need?

5. Learning - Do you need help with learning about managing the disease? You don’t have to figure this out by yourself.

6. Emotional support - Are there any support groups available? Church, synagogue, community, or other types of groups that maybe can help you work through this struggle. We are here for that too.

7. Home - Do you have essential things you need? Food, shelter, clothing, the basics?

Since we are not sure where you are with all these things, let’s start with the first one. You said your blood sugar was over 600. Let’s make sure you have the basic things for that. Do you have the necessary diabetes supplies? Do you have enough insulin and syringes to get your sugar fixed?

2 Likes

Although not family, I will always be here for you if you need to talk. Just send me a chat and I’ll respond swiftly! No one should ever be made to feel this way; especially someone (like everyone in this community) that is already going through a lot of things that hardly no one understands (or takes the time to even try to understand.)

My heart goes out to you and I’m always here if you need to talk, or just need to vent.

<3

Harold

1 Like

@Yorkergirl143 I was very glad to wake up this morning (I’m here in CA) and see your response! Also very happy to hear your sister was able to help you out.

How is your BG doing now? 600 is a very, very high number, and constitutes an emergency if you can not get it to dome down under 300 fairly quickly (within 2 hours). BG like that can easily drive you to Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) especially if you are Type 1. DKA is life-threatening.

Also, as I mentioned before, high BG can (and almost always does) affect your overall mental state and mood, causing depression. So getting that BG back down will help with how you feel about giving up too.

Anyway, how ya doing? Stick around here and let us help if your BG is still way up there, and if its staying up over 300 and you can’t get it down yourself, please go to the Emergency Room.

Wow, I am so glad you posted. We got 6" of snow this morning, so we have been shoveling all morning while talking about you, my son and I - we were worried.

I am sure your endo can prescribe some additional pens that you can keep in the fridge for when you have a pump/site problem etc. Eddie has a great post following yours.

I really hope you stay around the site! You seem to need more support than you have right now. We would all want to help out, and also help you find local support around where you are. Your friend Michel.

1 Like

@Yorkergirl143, I hope you are still on the forum:-)

Are you in NY, or Yorkshire UK, or another place?

Thinking of you!

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t been updating I was in hospital with my son he has very bad asthma … anyways he’s doing better now.
Now on me I have my insulin my pump is working my sugars are finally good again because I started checking them again. The only thing I finding very strange is that I been very nauseous in the morning it started like 2 or 3 days ago when I started checking my sugars and having better numbers my sugars have not been higher than 200. So idk what’s causing this but should I be concerned.
And on another note I gotta say I’m so glad I found this forum to speak to others that understand what I feel and is going through. this place gave me the motivation I needed to take care of my self again. I been feeling better hopefully it continues. Amazing what a little support can do to change your life :wink:

9 Likes

Keep your chin up! Glad to hear things are improving for you!

[quote=“Yorkergirl143, post:34, topic:57903, full:true”]
Sorry I haven’t been updating I was in hospital with my son he has very bad asthma … anyways he’s doing better now.
Now on me I have my insulin my pump is working my sugars are finally good again because I started checking them again. The only thing I finding very strange is that I been very nauseous in the morning it started like 2 or 3 days ago when I started checking my sugars and having better numbers my sugars have not been higher than 200. So idk what’s causing this but should I be concerned.
[/quote]You should definitely consult your doctor about this. There are so many things that can cause nausea, many that have nothing to do with diabetes.

That said, If you BG has been over 200 consistently for a while (a few weeks) there’s a fair possibility these symptoms are a result of “false hypoglycemia”, a situation where the brain reacts like your BG is low when it’s normal. This is because it got used to high BG levels, and needs to adjust.

Best way to deal with this is bring your BG down gradually from 200 to normal over a week or so. Keep it under 200 though.

Glad to hear from you, and that you’re doing okay!

1 Like

I am really glad to hear your son is doing better. My younger son had bad asthma too when he was younger, around ages 2-6 or so. But now that he is 12, his asthma is pretty much gone - although he gets colds easily still. Possibly your son’s will get better with age too.

But I am even gladder to hear that you are feeling mentally better. It is GREAT to hear - and to hear that sharing with others makes a big difference. It does to me too.

I will be off line for a bit over a week starting today - we are taking my sons down south for some warm weather. But I’ll reconnect when we are back some time after Xmas. Wishing you GREAT holidays. Your friend Michel.

1 Like

Hi @Yorkergirl143 - hope all is OK with you and the Holidays have been happening smoothly!

We just came back from a long food trip in Louisiana. The food was great, but we had a hard time gauging carbs and dealing with excess fat in some of these meals… My son and I talked about you to the rest of the family during the trip - we all hope that you are doing well emotionally and in health, and that your son’s asthma is well in check!

Let us know how you are doing when you have a minute! Wishing you very happy holidays and a wonderful 2017, from a fellow diabetic family:-) Your friend Michel

Hi @Yorkergirl143, just a quick note to let you know my son and I are thinking of you. Hope everything is well.

I’ll echo that… been wondering how your doing!