I’ve been there before. I’ve gone through many insulin shock comas. I’ve been woken by paramedics on countless occasions- so much that they knew me by name for a while.
The last one that I remember was so low that I went into a seizure while sleeping. My seizure woke up my fiance and he called the ambulance. When the paramedics got there, when I woke, they told me it was a good thing that I had my tongue pierced, because it stopped me from biting it off! They said that it gave me something to hold onto with my teeth (the piercing stud) without allowing me to CHOKE on my tongue as it tried to roll back into my throat while spasming.
My tongue hurt for about a week- i think I stretched the hole slightly while gripping it with my teeth during seizure. And my muscles ached for a few days- from seizuring.
I went on the pump shortly after that- had complications with antibodies and allergic reactions- and have gone to Levemir and Apidra (for now). Have not had such a horrible experience since then. (I have since taken out my tongue piercing because I’m hitting 25 next month and feel it’s kind of juvenile- for me. haha. Had it from aged 18-20. Miss it sometimes, though)
My overnight comas were caused by Lantus. It just didn’t sit well with me and would put me into insulin shock almost every night.
I’m glad you’re okay. I know it’s really scary.