I gotta interview some providers

I’m supposed to interview some Emergency Medical Service providers to discover reasons why they might feel unsafe going into people’s homes to provide care.

I’m gonna be a subversive, unmanageable employee and interview some patients about if there’s anything that makes them feel unsafe having providers enter their home to provide care, if possible.

Anybody in? If so…

#1. Tell me a story about a time when a provider entered your home to provide care and you felt unsafe/at risk.

#2. What was the hardest thing about that?

#3. Why are current procedures inadequate to respond to those risks?

#4. How did/do you deal with those risks now?

#5. Why is that not awesome?

Wait are you talking about service providers like paramedics feeling unsafe or do you mean patients feeling unsafe.?

I mean anytime a person enters my home when I’m in bed other otherwise injured is going to feel extra unsafe.

I think paramedics and fire and police generally announce themselves

The only time I felt unsafe in the pandemic was when a TSA agent (masked plus clear face shield) got in my face for the pat down after my pod and CGM flunked the body scanner screening. It happened both directions on a round trip. Those guys act like they never heard of social distancing. Despite me pulling my shirt up, telling them it’s a medical device, they really p’ed me off.

FYI I’ve always thought distance from other peoples noses was the best defense.

3 Likes

I have never had any kind of emergency personnel enter my home. My parents did when my mom was so sick my Dad called them and they wanted them there so they did not feel unsafe or bothered by them. They wanted them there. I doubt the paramedics felt unsafe entering as it was a nice neighborhood and my parents were old.

1 Like

I imagine in any case where your out of it and come back to reality with a bunch of strange people staring at you would be a little scary. This could be drugs, medical emergency or some type of mental health condition.

1 Like

I’m supposed to ask paramedics about times when they feel unsafe. But, I’m just hitting it from the other angle - when patients feel unsafe.

I can think of instances from both sides, so I’m just exploring the issue. I’m the type to actually flea from the hospital on foot, so I fall more heavily on the patient fear side. But, I do think I’m a bit more extreme than others - and I do enjoy a good chase. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think a lot of the fear has to do with where one lives, and their socioeconomic situation. In the past 5 or 6 years I have called for an ambulance about 4 times. I was following a WOE which was extremely bad for my body and it caused me to pass out and hit my head. I didn’t realize that the events were caused by the diet until I switched to a healthier for me WOE, so it happened several times.

I was very scared when I had to call medics to our mountain home and equally scared calling them to our beach home. I was NEVER scared of the medics although I usually tried to supervise my care, I was scared for my health. I was scared that I might not see my husband again.

On the coast I was worried about the hospital, and was worried about being flown to Spokane, Seattle or Portland. I live by small hospitals.

Never was I worried about the people who came into my homes to help me. In the areas where I live it never crossed my mind.
I am positive that the medics were not scared of me and my husband.

I certainly can more than understand other people’s fears though.

2 Likes

As a clinician, I am very afraid to be in situations where I have no choice but to call 911 for my BIPOC clients. Even any client who is obviously mentally ill I get worried about. That’s how some people get killed, especially if the call is about mental health issues (since then frustratingly the cops get called and come too, even if the person is unarmed and not threatening anyone else). Personally, as a white person in a “nice” neighborhood, I know I would be treated carefully, so am generally not concerned for my own safety if I had to have emergency personnel in my own home.

3 Likes

I would have been terrified to call anyone to help with my son who had EOBP and Tourette’s with coprolalia. Authorities did not understand his illnesses, so we didn’t call on them nor did we send him to school.

I so hate hearing about young men who are killed by the police because they are seen as violent, but not as horribly ill.

3 Likes

That’s a big concern of mine. I’m concerned that even raising the topic of provider safety is gonna get somebody shot. I’m very uncomfortable with the topic of conversation.

1 Like

You do need the paramedics view. Paramedics have to feel safe so they can provide the proper care.

I think it would be very appropriate to ask paramedics what would help make them feel safe and when do they feel unsafe? Then those issues could be addressed and maybe a solution be found to help it go smoother. If they are not as fearful in certain conditions, then they could provide help better. Plus the people (paramedics) in the situation can usually provide better insight.

2 Likes

These guys aren’t vacc-ing. ??? Makes me nervous about ambulance rides. Be careful out there everybody.

I’ve worked with first responders on calls. These are small things but mean a lot to patients, include the patient when asking questions - whether they can answer or not, they will sense the respect. When responding to a call when a patient is nude or rather unclothed, cover them. Hen they come to, they know they are buck-nekkid in front of a group of strangers. On calls where our safety was a concern, usually police respond as well and make sure the area is clear. Of course during these times, wondering whether or not the patient has asymptomatic covid.

I’m really surprised how not afraid of covid everyone else has bee these long months. There is a real gap in experience and perception. I get 2nd vacc in two days. But, I still have people in hiding in Canada. They only got 1st vacc.

I think that coming out of hiding is gonna be really strange. I sense a great divide between me and some people I talk to…a GREAT divide in experience over the past year. There’s a sticky feeling like the gulf between patients and providers might have increased into something that seems insurmountable. But my sample size is small. I still haven’t encountered many people.

I just don’t know about this.