I hate diabetes!

I try to look at the bright side of everything and remain positive for my son. Today…I can’t seem to see the bright side.

Type 2 took my grandma’s life a couple years back. It was sudden. She died in her sleep. My dad was diagnosed type 2 somewhere around 10 years ago. My son diagnosed type 1 a year ago.

Thursday I got a call from my dad saying his blood sugar was dropping and he couldn’t get it to come up. He was at work and had left his meter at home. He could barely speak. My mom rushed him to the ER. I met them there. He was pale white, sweating and shaking while sitting in the waiting room waiting his turn.

About an hour in they got him checked in and tested his BG. 371. Odd…but considering he had eaten over 100 carbs trying to get the low feeling to go away with no success I wasn’t really surprised. He still felt low. He is never scared and he was terrified. His hands were numb and his chest was tight. They ran an EKG which looked normal. What is going on?

After 6 hours with no improvement they decided he should stay. He had a heart cath this morning. The doctor came out and told us that they scheduled him for the next available bypass surgery on Monday.

After losing his insurance a while back and not being able to get insulin on a regular basis, he is now left with coronary arteries that are 90-95% blocked.

Sextuple bypass surgery. I never even knew that existed.

He is only 53. He is a healthy weight. He is extremely active and runs a construction company. He helps coach my daughter’s basketball teams. BUT he doesn’t eat well and he puts himself last on the list. It has cost him dearly. His A1C is 12.9 and his cardiologist says his lack of diabetes management is destroying his heart.

That really scared my son. I told him that this is why we put so much effort into managing his diabetes. This is why it’s important. If he works hard and takes care of himself, he will stay healthy.

I’m scared for my dad. We can’t lose him. What will my mom do if something happens to him? What will my kids do? Everything is running through my head. How are they going to pull through this financially?

10 years of diabetes has done so much damage to my dad. By the time my son is 53 he will have been fighting this for 43 years. I ease his worries but I am so scared for him. I know I am being irrational but I can’t seem to see through the fear right now.

Today…I hate diabetes more than ever.

2 Likes

Thinking of you all and hoping all will be well.

Your dad’s Dr. will probably be putting him on a strict diet when he gets home. So that will help him. He needs to take his insulin no matter what, and yes, it’s more expensive than gold but you gotta do what you gotta do. As for your worries about your son, I’ve been a type 1 for 26 years and no complications yet. It is hard to maintain good BG’s but the results are worth it and will keep him healthy. Being scared of complications is normal for you and for your son so just support each other and you’ll get through this. Bless you and your family.

2 Likes

It is tough to offer advice sitting here in Indiana. So I will wish and your family well.

For your dad, I suggest he consider a CGM At one time my A1C was in the high 13’s. Today around 6.0. I credit my CGM with getting me there. I credit using the pump with helping me manage but the CGM is the difference.

For your son it is very scary. But it is not foreordained he will have issues. Complications are largely the result of poor management. He need to know that he not seeing his future, He is seeing what can happen when one does not keep blood sugar in range.

For you, do not give up hope. You can do this.

rick (T1- 43 years)

3 Likes

What a horrifying series of events. I’m so sorry. Wishing your dad the best for his surgery and recovery.

You are a year in to type 1 with your son? A lot happens in that first year - you get through a lot of your “firsts.” But it’s still very new. I remember feeling like we were in a routine and adjusted to our new normal, but it wasn’t until years later I realized there was much more adjustment we would go through beyond year one. It was probably three years to get to a point of true comfort. Lots of progress along the way through!

You are not being irrational. You have a heightened sense of the consequences of what having diabetes can be and a sensitivity to how your son is reacting to seeing it first hand. That’s something you couldn’t possible ignore or not have emotions about.

There are lots of people - lots and lots - who have grown up with diabetes complication-free. Since they are grown up, they did this without the benefit of the improved therapy options we have today, or the higher standard of acceptable a1c levels that exist today.

I take comfort in those experiences, that Caleb and I are doing everything we can to manage his diabetes while he lives a fulfilling life, that he’s grown to be responsible about his care and that he’s getting good results without tailoring his life around diabetes.

It’s easy to get down about it. Don’t be hard on yourself. Feel what you have to feel. But also know there is light and you and your son sound like you are doing what you need to to keep him safe, healthy and happy for a very long time to come.

2 Likes