I hate the consequences of being "noncompliant"

…with my own process, rules, protocols, etc. for managing my diabetes. I really went off the wagon last night (don’t ask why, it’s personal). Ran 250-300 all night from about midnight until I woke up at six.

Did an IM injection of a boatload of insulin, around 6:15. BG has just now made it down to 150, I’m doing another IM to correct again and get it into normal in the next few hours.

Main problem, though, is Pinky and the Brain (well, actually just THE BRAIN) does not like bathing in syrup all night, and then have it taken away so quickly. Braino would like to ease off that glucose over, say, a day or two. Taking it away over 6 hours or so makes it mad, and when Braino gets mad, Dave feels bad!

I’m basically worthless today. Light-headed, dizzy, digestive problems, feeling drugged. 'Been through this before, I know it’ll just about have cleared up, oh, about bedtime.

I’ll be a very good boy today and tonight. Problem yesterday was a really bad day, and a large Papa Murphy’s thin crust Chicken and Garlic pizza in the oven. I ate the whole thing. No amount of correct bolusing helped. I still went through the BG roof.

Sigh… just another reminder that, no matter what, no matter how good the tools, technology, protocols, diligence, etc., I am still a diabetic. I can’t get away from it. It’s gonna bite me now and then, no matter what I do.

(BTW, I chose “Other Conditions” for the category for this discussion, as I consider stupidity to be an “other condition” :D)

1 Like

Been there done that! countless times. I got “religion” recently from watching a doc on TED talk explain the dangers of sugar (as if I didn’t already have SOME idea. LOL!). In the past 10-14 days I’ve lost 8 lbs, hardly ever see my bg’s go over 150 (instead of climbing over 220 too frequently). I’m eating very few carbs. eating more meat (not large portions), veggies, FRUIT. no bread and I am a big bread lover like most of us. its nice to see my bgs level out!! It’s been about 2 years since I’ve weighed what I do today and now I have another 18 lbs to go to hit target weight.

My wife makes the most awesome from-scratch (sauce, crust) pizzas and now we are both doing a modified cave man diet. sigh… I have tended to eat “fun things” and push a lot of buttons on my pump. MY BAD.

Hope you feel better!

I also spent all last night high, but I have no idea why. I was hoping for a perfect day (not hitting high or low lines), but for some reason after dinner I shot up to 315. No idea why, I weighed my food so there was no guessing about carbs, and my carb ratio seems accurate. I corrected and went to bed and woke up at 4:30 still at 203. Corrected again, and by the time I woke up for good at 6:30 I’d crashed to 59. Again, no idea why since I didn’t override my pump and my correction ratio seems perfect.

And the previous morning I’d proudly shown my mom my flatline! So my basal was dead on.

At least since getting the CGM I no longer feel like I’m missing something or doing something wrong. This chaos just happens out of nowhere sometimes.

Today everything is back to normal. But I’m having the weird lightheaded, feeling-low sensation from spending all night high, too. Hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

My BG often climbs from midnight to 2am, & stays there if I don’t wake & correct. I find that nighttime corrections seem to act differently than during the day, longer duration time less insulin needed, then if I wake again later & correct following the pump recommendation I crash by the time I get up. I can’t increase the overnight basal as this doesn’t happen every night & it doesn’t seem to correlate to dinner food. I wish I had patterns but I don’t.

To quote Buckeroo Bonzai, “… remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” No? :confounded:

Amen to that! One of the aspects of CGM which never occurred to me before I started using it. I should make a list of all of them so I don’t forget … but I keep forgetting to make the list. :blush:

Bob McClane:
What is it that is exactly the same about every single vacation you have ever taken?
Douglas Quaid:
I give up.
Bob McClane:
You! You’re the same. No matter where you go, there you are. It’s always
the same old you. Let me suggest that you take a vacation from
yourself. I-I know it sounds wild. It is the latest thing in travel. We
call it the Ego Trip.

That’s from ‘Total Recall’

Try to give yourself a break…we’ve all been there. Diabetes is a 24/7 disease, and we never get a break from it. Sometimes you need to take a day or so to just go on auto-pilot to restore sanity. For example, if you just don’t feel like checking your BG, try to at least eat sensibly so things don’t get too crazy, because as you say that just makes you feel lousy afterwards. There can also be a tendency to say, “Oh screw it, I’ve already eaten 3 donuts today, so I’m just going to give up for a couple of days.” Resist that thinking, because every meal is an opportunity to get back on the wagon, if only for a while. Keeping the balance of BG management and having any kind of life can be really difficult, especially if you are feeling down or having a hectic day. Our bodies are broken, so we just do the best we can.

TR is one of my favorite Arnold movies. There’s quite a bit of cheese in the story and the special effects, particularly regarding the “mutants” on mars, but for some reason the entire premise really appeals to me, and any Paul Verhoven movie is guaranteed to be a wild ride.

As to the concept of a technology like that at the Recall facility, wouldn’t it be nice to actually be able to take a vacation from diabetes (or at least remember that you had :smile:) with a Recall trip?

Thanks for your good thoughts, Angi.

Thankfully, I never just say “screw it” for more than an evening or a day, so the damage is limited. The worst episodes – and they are rare – happen when that nexus occurs of emotional trauma, readily available yumminess, and horrible timing (evening). That’t my triple-threat that I have to watch out for.

I can blow it during the day and usually get things back in line, or even prevent a BG problem, with smart exercise and insulin administration.

Load my liver up with tons of glycogen however, and its going to be giving me BG problems all day the next day. Also, I seem to have some incidental gastoparesis when I overeat and run very high BGs for hours and hours… my stomach just seems to rebel and play work stoppage in protest. Once the BG is back in line (<150), things start to get back on track digestively, and are all better within 48 hours.

Seriously, what IS it about PIZZA? I can manage a thick slice of chocolate cake and a bowl of ice cream easier than pizza. Must be the fat content, but man, the stuff is evil. Well except for how good it is. And you can’t have pizza without beer–just sayin. My rule is to just avoid the stuff, but it’s always turning up at work parties, informal parties, parties at my building…

You totally have my sympathy FWIW.

1 Like

I had 2 small bites of cake at the reception after my niece’s college graduation and even after a short walk had to give myself a correction while we did family photos. I just wanted to feel “normal” for a change! That’s where the stupidity comes in, eh? I know, cut myself some slack but…I’ve been dealing with higher than normal numbers during this whole trip! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the high BG!

I haven’t had any highs after pizza, lately - which was the first real clear indication that I might need to drop the basal. One of the upsides of having highly variable basal needs is that for periods of time, pizza works. I think I eat a lot of carb, relative to the rest of you, but it doesn’t usually result in highs. Although, maybe it should. IDK.

Noncompliance is a choice not a excuse…

This is my whole life.